Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Nov 13, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #4,188 of 10,664
Brought my 480GB diymod to work today. While I have been listening to the music, I just feel blessed with the opportunities to listen to so much music at my fingertips. Honestly, I thought 256GB was the ceiling when I got the Wellcore CF card last year. Look how far we have gone since the RB patch for msata provided by Beyondwind. 

Nov 13, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #4,189 of 10,664
  Brought my 480GB diymod to work today. While I have been listening to the music, I just feel blessed with the opportunities to listen to so much music at my fingertips. Honestly, I thought 256GB was the ceiling when I got the Wellcore CF card last year. Look how far we have gone since the RB patch for msata provided by Beyondwind. 

Hey Dminor, are you using a m500 480gb? What's the actual capacity of the ssd drive? 

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #4,191 of 10,664
  Did you find some to order you the 256 gig sdxc in the end then?  Shame that it's not released in Europe :frowning2:

Hey guys
I am sooooo sorry for not yet contacting you!!! Blame on me!! I was very very bussy in business as well as in private life.
It's amazing, in total 4 guys from this forum were willing to help me out. Thanks sooo much!!!!!!!!! Finally I have choosen someone :) Yeah, its really a pitty but this card is not at all sold in Europe. I contacted few sellers who sell the PNY 128gb card to ask if they could order it. But no chance, PNY doesn't want to sell them in Europe. Strange....! But yeah, now I will get an "US"-PNY 256 card in the next few weeks :)

Guys, Thanks again so much!! This forum is just amazing, seriously!!!

Apple USB-Firewire-Cable-Wall-Charger:
My wallplug-charger seems to have some "problems". So I have a good working usb-firewire-cable in the hand but no charger anymore. I read somewhere few sites back, that someone just cutted the firewire-"plug" and just soldered an usb-"plug" to it. So the cable also could be used with an iphone-usb-wall-charger.
Did someone seriously do this? If no, does someone know any good replacement firewire-wall-charger on ebay?

Nov 14, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #4,193 of 10,664
  I believe that the trick is to use a cheap click-wheel off eBay and not the original that came with the iPod.

Thanks for posting photos.  It still looks like the clickwheel is slightly raised above the frontplate from those photos.  Are you using the LCD from the 5th gen or 6/7th gen?

I was going to mod my 6th gen with Tarkan's adapter, but I just picked up a 5.5 gen for cheap and now I want to use that logic board in a 6th gen case and would like to be sure of what will work before I order more parts and take the 5.5 gen apart.  It's getting incredibly difficult to decide what two custom iPods that I want to make from all the parts that I have now...

Nov 14, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #4,194 of 10,664

Thanks for posting photos.  It still looks like the clickwheel is slightly raised above the frontplate from those photos.  Are you using the LCD from the 5th gen or 6/7th gen?

I was going to mod my 6th gen with Tarkan's adapter, but I just picked up a 5.5 gen for cheap and now I want to use that logic board in a 6th gen case and would like to be sure of what will work before I order more parts and take the 5.5 gen apart.  It's getting incredibly difficult to decide what two custom iPods that I want to make from all the parts that I have now...

I am using the screen from a 5.5th gen iPod. 

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #4,195 of 10,664
So I just tried to get a 5.5 generation board into a 6 gen faceplate.  The board does not sit flush with the frame of the 6 gen's plate.  I have screwed the plate together with both a 5.5 gen and a 6 gen clickwheel.  The little amount of give from the mainboard against the faceplate remains, rendering the clickwheel nearly unusable.  Perhaps the ebay clickwheel may work as it does for cmarti, but at least from my own experience, the stock clickwheels do not function well enough in my mentioned attempt.  It appears to be due to the way the 6th gen metal frame lines up against the chips on the mainboard.  The 5.5 gen board has chips in different places, and the 6th gen frame is slightly thicker and barely fits into a gap between two chips on the 5.5 mainboard, thus pushing it out a little.  I image this could be fixed by cutting or shaving part of the metal frame, but I'd rather not be attempting that.

I've also learned that the LCD's from the 5.5 gen and the 6 gen use a slightly different ribbon, therefor you cannot use one generation LCD with the mainboard of the other generation.

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #4,196 of 10,664
  So I just tried to get a 5.5 generation board into a 6 gen faceplate.  The board does not sit flush with the frame of the 6 gen's plate.  I have screwed the plate together with both a 5.5 gen and a 6 gen clickwheel.  The little amount of give from the mainboard against the faceplate remains, rendering the clickwheel nearly unusable.  Perhaps the ebay clickwheel may work as it does for cmarti, but at least from my own experience, the stock clickwheels do not function well enough in my mentioned attempt.  It appears to be due to the way the 6th gen metal frame lines up against the chips on the mainboard.  The 5.5 gen board has chips in different places, and the 6th gen frame is slightly thicker and barely fits into a gap between two chips on the 5.5 mainboard, thus pushing it out a little.  I image this could be fixed by cutting or shaving part of the metal frame, but I'd rather not be attempting that.

I've also learned that the LCD's from the 5.5 gen and the 6 gen use a slightly different ribbon, therefor you cannot use one generation LCD with the mainboard of the other generation.

I am using a 5th gen click-wheel.

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #4,197 of 10,664
Spent $25 on new housing and ended up damaging my logic board, had to drop another $40 to fix it

Maybe I shouldn't have gotten an ipod in the first place and just waited to get the fiio x5 :v

Nov 14, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #4,199 of 10,664
  Where did you damage the board? 

Unsure, I was pretty careful but definitely screwed something up :frowning2: It wouldn't play anything and it replaced all the album art with random noise, restored the firmware and disconnected/reconnected everything, couldn't get it to work. Thought it might have been the mSATA adapter but it's working fine with the new board.

I actually bought a used 5.5g 30GB because it was cheaper than I could find the logic board on its own, and for the hell of it I reassembled the 30GB one with the old board inside... it worked fine! Was pissed off because I thought I just wasted $40, but I put the old board back in my ipod and it stopped working again, so that royally confused me. Shame it was a 30GB so it didn't fit together, if it was 80GB I could have put together a second working ipod with the leftover parts and sold it to someone.

Nov 14, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #4,200 of 10,664
  Unsure, I was pretty careful but definitely screwed something up :frowning2: It wouldn't play anything and it replaced all the album art with random noise, restored the firmware and disconnected/reconnected everything, couldn't get it to work. Thought it might have been the mSATA adapter but it's working fine with the new board.

I actually bought a used 5.5g 30GB because it was cheaper than I could find the logic board on its own, and for the hell of it I reassembled the 30GB one with the old board inside... it worked fine! Was pissed off because I thought I just wasted $40, but I put the old board back in my ipod and it stopped working again, so that royally confused me. Shame it was a 30GB so it didn't fit together, if it was 80GB I could have put together a second working ipod with the leftover parts and sold it to someone.

I am sure that something like that happened to everyone in this hobby!  It happened to me with a 7th gen iPod that I damaged the battery connector when opening it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back