Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Nov 12, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #4,171 of 10,664
I have a(nother) question for you guys: what do you think is best in combination with a 2000mAh battery. The bp4 with its lower power consumption or the m500 with its protective capacitors?

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #4,173 of 10,664
I have a(nother) question for you guys: what do you think is best in combination with a 2000mAh battery. The bp4 with its lower power consumption or the m500 with its protective capacitors?

I'm in the process to mod my own so I can't provide valuable information
If you're planning on getting a bigger battery power consumption shouldn't be an issue and protective capacitors sound like a better deal considering we don't know how the new battery will perform. Keep in mind what we're doing is still experimental.

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #4,174 of 10,664

I believe with the m500 protective caps the benefit is to avoid corrupting/locking the drive during power surge. When I initially tested the m500 (480GB) with generic batteries, the ipod shut off when the RB battery indicator was between 20% and 30%. However, the drive never corrupted or locked due to loss of power. 

With the Samsung 1TB and a generic battery, I got a sad face (i.e. drive locked) the 1st time when the battery was drained by the power surge. But with the Miliamp 850mAh, I never got a sad face when the battery was drained. Every time I was able to boot it back to RB either with the USB cable or with a firewire cable. 

With the BP4, I never worry about the battery. Any generic battery will be good enough.

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #4,176 of 10,664

guys, I am wondering as well.

Is the following combination possible:

- 7g metal face plate
- 6g metal frame
- 5.5g logicboard

So actually to have an iPod Video which looks like an 7g. Would prefer the spacegrey from 7 than the black from 6g

:)

I own an iPod just like this one you describe above, all works and fits great

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #4,177 of 10,664
  I own an iPod just like this one you describe above, all works and fits great

Hi Cmarti :)
That sounds very promissing. I remember having read somewhere that this combination makes the clickwheel feel strange. Don't remember if it stands out too much or the oposite, beeing to much "inside" the ipod. Do you understand what I mean?
If your 5g iPod with 7g faceplate just feels like an proper 7g....which click-wheel did you use, the one from the 5g or the 7g clickwheel? (Sorry, don't know if there is any build difference between 5+7g click-wheel)

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #4,178 of 10,664

Hi Cmarti :)
That sounds very promissing. I remember having read somewhere that this combination makes the clickwheel feel strange. Don't remember if it stands out too much or the oposite, beeing to much "inside" the ipod. Do you understand what I mean?
If your 5g iPod with 7g faceplate just feels like an proper 7g....which click-wheel did you use, the one from the 5g or the 7g clickwheel? (Sorry, don't know if there is any build difference between 5+7g click-wheel)

Mine sits flush, I used a cheap red 5th gen clickwheel that I got off eBay.

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #4,181 of 10,664
Question.

Unmodded CF-SDXC 7.5 gen iPod Classic running 320kbps .mp3 files, would there be a noticeable difference between Audio Technica M50x and the Sennheiser HD800?  I would be getting either pair for free but would be getting some cash if I went with the M50x.

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #4,183 of 10,664
In my experience, trying to pair a Video click-wheel with a Classic face plate caused the click-wheel to protrude up by half a millimeter above the face plate. When I pressed down on the click-wheel, it wouldn't even register a click. Just the center button worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back