Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
May 16, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #2,972 of 10,664
Hmm, I may have to look for one. Hopefully I can reduce the clutter (straight 30pin to mini USB) and find a cable that works, or have somone make me one. I wonder how it'll work. Only one way to find out I suppose :p Thatnks for the idea :D

May 16, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #2,975 of 10,664

The sound quality of the Wolfson chipset/analog output is pretty good, depending of course on what you compare it to.

You can further tailor the sound by using a FiiO L11 dock connector along with any good 3.5mm stereo cable that you might already own:

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L11-Connector-Charge-iPhone/dp/B008EKON56/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1400252388&sr=8-4&keywords=fiio+11

The L11 also allows simultaneous charging via USB mini B, however the sound quality while charging takes a pretty big hit.

If you don't care about charging (or don't already own a good 3.5mm stereo cable), the Audioquest 30 pin dock to 3.5mm cables are quite good.

My favorite LOD (for the money) is the FiiO L30, a longer version of their annoyingly short L3, but it was a limited production run intended for the Japanese market and they are hard to find. I scored one from B&H Photo for under $20, a total bargain considering the sound quality and Oyaide wire it is made from.

yeah i know this item but...hell here in italy cost 20€ from amazon.it
i think will my choice anyway use the L11

May 16, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #2,976 of 10,664
This thread made me appreciate my aging 5.5g machine all over again.  The Rockbox firmware really made the audio of this unit come alive.  It sounded fairly mediocre with Apple Firmware.  I never would have imagined that there could be a difference, but the change is not subtle.

May 16, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #2,977 of 10,664
What are some suggestions on Rockbox themese? If thats the case, I may have to get my other 128GB SD card and try rockbox on it. I tried it at one point, but the lag with Rockbox was too much for me and it was slow and not as responsive as the apple firmware. Plus all my music is orgainized and such through iTunes, and I have my playlist collection in iTunes. Anyway to transfer a playlist over via rockbox?

May 16, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #2,978 of 10,664
What are some suggestions on Rockbox themese? If thats the case, I may have to get my other 128GB SD card and try rockbox on it. I tried it at one point, but the lag with Rockbox was too much for me and it was slow and not as responsive as the apple firmware. Plus all my music is orgainized and such through iTunes, and I have my playlist collection in iTunes. Anyway to transfer a playlist over via rockbox?

hi
here are all the ipod themes for rb official firmware 3.13...

http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?target=ipodvideo

i made my own theme for my personal needs, its not that hard to make a text only theme.

here are the codes to make your own theme

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/CustomWPS

copy the codes you want to be on your screen in to a file called something.WPS (while playing screen) then copy that file into the wps folder in rockbox on your ipod select the font and size you want and your ready. in rockbox got settings/theme settings/while playing screen    and select something.wps    now your playing screen is showing what ever you created. if you messed up the code it will default to rb default screen

here are the fonts...

http://download.rockbox.org/release/3.13/rockbox-fonts-3.13.zip

--------------------------------------------------

now regarding your slow rockbox ipod

make sure it says 3.13 when it starts up because all other builds are either old or experimental

when the ipod starts there are 2 apple logos
one is with out back light
one is with back light

as soon as you see the apple WITH  back light THROW THE HOLD SWITCH RIGHT AWAY
this will clear all your setting. try using your player with cleared settings and no eq or any database.

if its still slow connect it to itunes do restore install rockbox 3.13
if you activate the data base due to love of itunes then be ready to let it work for many hours possibly even over night.
after its done then your player should work fast and fine.

-----------------------------------
i have no love for itunes so all my music is file name and folder based
i use winamp to make and save playlists for rockbox.

May 17, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #2,980 of 10,664
Hmm, transferring some music it stops, and currupts, and I have to reformat the SD card. Guess I'll keep trying in smaller batches.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

May 17, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #2,982 of 10,664
It's a 128GB SDXC. I have the same issue with iTunes and my other 128GB SDXC. AND Band with two different CF-SD adaptors. With iTunes it will freeze/disconnect. Then I can restart the iMod. With Rockbox it corrupts and I need to restore/reinstall Rockbox.
I'm trying right now to transfer in small batches. All the artists that start with A, then the Bs, then C, ect. Well see if that works. All my folders are separate by artist, album see folders. That's due to iTunes.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

May 17, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #2,983 of 10,664
It's a 128GB SDXC. I have the same issue with iTunes and my other 128GB SDXC. AND Band with two different CF-SD adaptors. With iTunes it will freeze/disconnect. Then I can restart the iMod. With Rockbox it corrupts and I need to restore/reinstall Rockbox.
I'm trying right now to transfer in small batches. All the artists that start with A, then the Bs, then C, ect. Well see if that works. All my folders are separate by artist, album see folders. That's due to iTunes.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Are you using of Tarkan's SD to CF adapters?

May 17, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #2,984 of 10,664
May 17, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #2,985 of 10,664
Yea, one of my adaptors is from Amazon and the other is Tarkens.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back