Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Apr 25, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #2,807 of 10,664
No problem, this is good info. Here's what i recommend: get the toshiba 256gb HD if you want simplicity. Just pull the 80g and insert the 256g in its place. You'll get 223g of storage in the fat V5.5 and it will work with iTunes, or RB if you later decide to switch. It is THE most reliable upgrade available. If you need the solid state upgrade (because you own a Toyota with the iPod USB link, as I do) get the Tarkan adapter for an SD drive and buy a Transend 128g Sdxc class 10 card. I've not yet tested CF cards, but there are experts on this forum who can recommend CF options. Neither of these upgrades require RB, and both are reliable. The SD option with the Tarkan allows the potential for upgrade to the limit of an SD card once we figure out the problems associated with 256g.

If you want to go the mSata route, choose the BP4 brand 256g chip, and the following mSata-to-zif adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/CY-PCI-E-Adapter-Toshiba-Hitachi/dp/B00HP01QXI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1398127702&sr=8-2&keywords=Msata+to+zif

This one is Amazon, there are others cheaper. They are all the same, and all pretty crappy. If you go mSata at 256g, just use BeyondWind's RB update and forget Apple's firmware.

What's the model number of the toshiba 256GB hard drive?

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #2,809 of 10,664
Got this Mushkin 480GB mSATA. Took out the Crucial 480GB from the adapter and put in this Mushkin, it gave me the sad face. Put back in the Crucial and everything is fine.

I guess I need to have this Mushkin formatted. Any other ideas? Is it possible after a restore the adapter is only recognized by that mSATA drive?

Apr 26, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #2,810 of 10,664
  Is it possible after a restore the adapter is only recognized by that mSATA drive?

I don't think so because I have actually swapped the Crucial 480gb card with the Crucial 256gb and a cheap 30gb mSATA card without even removing the mSATA to ZIF adapter from the ipod and it booted fine with all three cards.

I would try to have it formatted first.

Maybe like this.

Apr 26, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #2,811 of 10,664
  I don't think so because I have actually swapped the Crucial 480gb card with the Crucial 256gb and a cheap 30gb mSATA card without even removing the mSATA to ZIF adapter from the ipod and it booted fine with all three cards.

I would try to have it formatted first.

Maybe like this.

Yeah that's what I thought. Need to get an adapter to format this thing. Thought the Mushkin would just go straight to restore like the Crucial and MyDigitalSSD.

EDIT: just ordered this adapter now have to wait impatiently. :frowning2:

Apr 27, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #2,812 of 10,664
Has anyone had any luck getting a msata ssd with adapter to work in a 120gb ipod classic(not sure what generation it is??? it plays video so I think it's a 6.5???)? I have the sd card adapter from Tarkan, but the 128gb Kingston sdxc card keeps getting corrupted after the first sync with iTunes. So I'd like to try the extra msata ssd's I have lying around.

I have a 64gb msata SSD and a crucial 256gb msata ssd that I plan to try with an adapter from amazon. Just curious if anyone has had any luck with the 120gb video ipod classic?

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #2,813 of 10,664
Has anyone had any luck getting a msata ssd with adapter to work in a 120gb ipod classic(not sure what generation it is??? it plays video so I think it's a 6.5???)? I have the sd card adapter from Tarkan, but the 128gb Kingston sdxc card keeps getting corrupted after the first sync with iTunes. So I'd like to try the extra msata ssd's I have lying around.

I have a 64gb msata SSD and a crucial 256gb msata ssd that I plan to try with an adapter from amazon. Just curious if anyone has had any luck with the 120gb video ipod classic?
Tarkan is working on a solution for the iPod Classic., we just need to wait patiently.

Hi,

I am making good progress on my new adapter board. I was going to ask I take it the 480Gb you are running is a mSata, as my new board will sata based.

I am just canvassing for interest in a little beta test as I should have some prototypes ready in the next 6 weeks - Ideally want people who have 5g and 6g/7g iPods.

My adapter will have a small power saving over the current generic mSata boards and will also have greater stability, and the biggest thing it will work in all the modern iPods - 5g, 6g, and 7g.

BTW: I know you was interested I tested out a 1.5Tb on the 7g and it actually worked!!!! next up will try a 3TB!!!

regards, Tarkan

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #2,814 of 10,664
Has anyone put together a good FAQ or guide for upgrading iPods to SSDs? Like what drives are compatible, whether you have to use Rockbox, etc.?

I'm really interested in getting a used ipod and throwing a big SSD in it to keep in my car, but the information on how to do this is spread out among many posts and forums. It's difficult to get a handle on what exactly can be done and how to do it.

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #2,815 of 10,664
Tarkan is working on a solution for the iPod Classic., we just need to wait patiently.

@ cmarti,

I am not sure how Tarkan's new adapter can work with a 3TB hard drive, unless he uses a large 3.5" SATA adapter along with a large external battery (or external wall wart). With 1.5 TB, a medium sized 2.5" SATA can be used - it is still difficult to get >6 hrs of battery life without external battery/power though.

Tarkan mentioned better power saving and stability than mSATA. So I assume: 
1) Tarkan is talking about portable use (battery instead of wall wart);
2) Tarkan knows about BeyondWind's Rockbox patch (BWRB) and that ~500GB  mSATA SSD can run stably for >8 hrs under BWRB?

I could not image how Tarkan can portably run a 1.5TB SATA drive for more than 8 hrs. I would love to believe that though - I would be one of the first to jump onto it if it works!

Edit:
Tarkan was using wall wart and stock Apply firmware (he said he would try Rockbox but have not) with his 1TB iPod:
http://www.tarkan.info/20140324/tutorials/teaser-the-1tb-ipod

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #2,816 of 10,664
@ cmarti,

I am not sure how Tarkan's new adapter can work with a 3TB hard drive, unless he uses a large 3.5" SATA adapter along with a large external battery (or external wall wart). With 1.5 TB, a medium sized 2.5" SATA can be used - it is still difficult to get >6 hrs of battery life without external battery/power though.

Tarkan mentioned better power saving and stability than mSATA. So I assume: 
1) Tarkan is talking about portable use (battery instead of wall wart);
2) Tarkan knows about BeyondWind's Rockbox patch (BWRB) and that ~500GB  mSATA SSD can run stably for >8 hrs under BWRB?

I could not image how Tarkan can portably run a 1.5TB SATA drive for more than 8 hrs. I would love to believe that though - I would be one of the first to jump onto it if it works!

Edit:
Tarkan was using wall wart and stock Apply firmware (he said he would try Rockbox but have not) with his 1TB iPod:
http://www.tarkan.info/20140324/tutorials/teaser-the-1tb-ipod

He knows about BeyondWind's patch, I don't know which card he is using at the moment. I wasn't even aware that there are mSATA drives our there that are bigger than 1TB.

He will send me one of the test adapters with the condition of returning it at the end of the test. I will try BeyondWind's Rockbox with the adapter to see how much it improves.

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #2,817 of 10,664

He knows about BeyondWind's patch, I don't know which card he is using at the moment. I wasn't even aware that there are mSATA drives our there that are bigger than 1TB.

He will send me one of the test adapters with the condition of returning it at the end of the test. I will try BeyondWind's Rockbox with the adapter to see how much it improves.

Currently there is no mSATA SSD that is bigger than 1TB. AFAIK Samsung EVO is the only 1TB mSATA SSD available (all others are 512GB or less).

cmarti, please kindly comment:

Is Tarkan aware that:

1) 500GB mSATA SSD can run for >8 hrs with BWRB and 5.5 gen (with good battery)?
and
2) From BeyondWind's statement, it seems that all we need for 1TB mSATA is a better ZIF-mSATA adapter (generic mSATA adapters may not be able to provide stable power to a 1TB drive) and maybe better battery.

If Tarkan is not aware of the above info, I would contact him and provide a summary. If Tarkan can make a better ZIF-mSATA adapter, that would be great.

Do you know if Tarkan's upcoming adapter is 2.5'' SATA, 3.5'' SATA or mSATA (where it connects to hard drive)?
It is hard to believe that Tarkan is using 2.5'' SATA or anything bigger (battery life / portability may suffer).

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #2,818 of 10,664
Rockboxing my 5.5g machine has definitely given my unit a new lease on life. We, I should say (re-)rockboxing the unit as it was rockboxed once a few years ago. The latest version of Rockbox is far superior to what I had tried before.

The original batteries on the unit work better than I realized, so I may not open the unit up and mod if quite yet. Plus I am still considering whether I should throw money on a new Fiio X3 instead, or perhaps wait for the X1.

I do appreciate all the help.

Apr 27, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #2,819 of 10,664
Will the 160 GB hard drive from the 7th gen (MK1634GAL) work on a 30 GB 5/5.5 gen?

It looks like buying a 30 GB 5th gen and upgrading the HDD with the 7th gen 160 GB is cheaper than trying to use a 128 GB SD/CF solution. I know SD/CF has its advantages, but given that I'm just going to throw this in my car, maybe it isn't worth it. The 160 GB hard drive is $65 on eBay, while the cheapest 128 GB CF card is $105, and then you need an extra adapter. So you're easily at $50 more for CF than a HDD. 

Thanks.

Apr 27, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #2,820 of 10,664
  Has anyone put together a good FAQ or guide for upgrading iPods to SSDs? Like what drives are compatible, whether you have to use Rockbox, etc.?

I'm really interested in getting a used ipod and throwing a big SSD in it to keep in my car, but the information on how to do this is spread out among many posts and forums. It's difficult to get a handle on what exactly can be done and how to do it.

Post #2729 is a good starting point ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back