Official ATH-ES7 Thread
Jul 3, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #136 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckdpe1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got plenty of burn time on them. I put 20 hours of burn on them immediately after opening the box. Since then it's been 4-5 hours 5 nights a week. They do sound markedly better than they did fresh from the box but they still don't have that high end sparkle that I look for.

The high end takes a long time to start to come out, more months than weeks I'd say

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #137 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The high end takes a long time to start to come out, more months than weeks I'd say

x2
Agreed, the sparkle will take time. But once they do appear and the true sound sig of the ES7 is present....... ooooooohhh sonic bliss...
Its a pity many people won't believe this.
frown.gif

I think I should have about 2000hrs (or very close to it) on my ES7 by now.
biggrin.gif

BTW, Agnostic, you haven't answered my question, which is your current fav? Es7 or old DT990?
biggrin.gif

----------------
Now playing: Opio - [http://music.download.com #01] Confederate Burning [foobar2000 v0.9.4.4]
via FoxyTunes

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #138 of 542
I have ES7 & just bought DT660 2007 edition - should be interesting...

Jul 4, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #139 of 542
Oh I'm sure I'll get there over time. I almost have to wear headphones so I can get anything accomplished at my job while I'm surrounded by a bunch of yappin' ass women. I chose the ES7s because not only are they highly recommended by many folks on here and look amazing, they also isolate pretty well. I have a Corda Move en route to me right now and I really look forward to hearing how they sound amped!
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2
Agreed, the sparkle will take time. But once they do appear and the true sound sig of the ES7 is present....... ooooooohhh sonic bliss...
frown.gif

biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #140 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2
frown.gif

biggrin.gif

BTW, Agnostic, you haven't answered my question, which is your current fav? Es7 or old DT990?
biggrin.gif

----------------
Now playing: Opio - [http://music.download.com #01] Confederate Burning [foobar2000 v0.9.4.4]
via FoxyTunes

Tough question, both give me that sense of awe but for slightly different reasons, for the ES7 it's the mids obviously and for the DT990 it's the treble detail and the bass extension combined with the forward mids. What I really like about the DT990 is the bass power and depth that doesn't seem to affect the quality of the mids or treble. The 990 has better soundstage as well and even more sparkly highs than the ES7.

Have to say that the 990 only sounds right with the old pads though, the drivers have to be very close to the ears to get the best (for my taste) sound. The new pads after flatening for 24hours have improved a lot but I would still like them a bit flatter. I did notice that the new pads tighten up the sound a bit more, I think because hey provide a slightly better seal. I hope when they're sufficiently flattened that they will have the sonic qualities of the old pads but slightly tighter sounding.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, It's nice to have some different cans to listen to that you enjoy, it helps to keep away habituation to one particular can which will make you lose awareness of it's qualities after too much listening.

I'm thinking of getting the ESW9 now, just can't help being curious and I have a new AD900 which I bought in Japan a week ago and which I don't particularly like so selling those wil help me fund them I hope.

Jul 4, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #141 of 542
Well, I ended up getting a pair of black ES7s from Akihabara for 10000yen which is about £50, which is a right bargain.

Unfortunately, I've had a string of bad luck since I came back to the UK (£400 phone bill because I forgot to put my phone to international), overflowing bath soaking my carpet, and today at a friends barbeque, my ES7 cable got caught on the handle of a drawer and pulled cleanly out of the headphone jack. So, I can't put it back in since the jack is so well made, and I don't have the expertise to do it myself anyway!

So, now they're totally disconnected and rendered useless, I'm going to have to get them repaired. So does anyone know what AT's English repair service is like, speed, service, price etc?

Jul 31, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #142 of 542
Hello people,

I've been looking around on the web for a few days now and think this forum is the best source for information (applause).
I do not concider myself a total audio expert, but having owned Sennheiser and Shure earphones shows that I'm quite aware of sound quality.

I'm looking for good (closed) headphones for around 150 euro's (I live in Holland) and I think the ES7 is the best choice, also (didn't expect this to be of importance) because of its looks :p
Only thing I was wondering, how strong is the cable,its plug and the connections to the headphone? The fact that I haven't seen anyone of you talking about it should be a good sign... but I want to use it for outside the house, not that I'm gonna go rafting or anything (can't even do that in Holland), meaning I will treat the headphones with respect, but I'd like the phones to last a while
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #143 of 542
There have been at least 2 documented cases of the stock cable "snapping" at the Y-joint or plug. The cable is thin and light but snags easily, and to be honest it is the part of the ES7 that I am the most careful about (cups don't worry me at all since I BSE'd them).

Aug 1, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #144 of 542
If it is yanked hard and suddenly, I think the cable will snap. But if treated with respect, the ES7 will last. I have had mine for more than 1 &1/2 years now and it has about 3000hrs of use on them. Cable is fine except for the gold 3.5mm plug starting to fade to silver ever soo slightly.... But hey, 3000hrs...
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #145 of 542
For those who have the white ES7s, how long have you had them and how much dirt/discoloration/yellowing has happened to it?

I was set on getting the white ones, but I don't want to if they're going to turn out all yellow and nasty in a few weeks.

Thanks.

Aug 26, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #146 of 542
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ2xTech /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who have the white ES7s, how long have you had them and how much dirt/discoloration/yellowing has happened to it?

I've had mine for around 2 years, I think, and the plastic on the headphone itself hasn't changed colour much but the cable has gone a bit yellowish.

Sep 27, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #147 of 542
Hey Eversuns, couldn't help notice but you own a pair of AKG 44s. Are they any good? Because i was thinking of getting the 77s or 99s, but i've heard that lower end AKGs aren't loved very much at all..Would you recommend your 44s? What's the isolation and sound quality like?

Ohyea, i see you're in perth! Did you get your es7s from that small headphone shop in Leederville by any chance? Because i got mine from there
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #149 of 542
Been using these for over two weeks, burnt them out to hundreds of hours. These headphones give me ear fatigue after 10 minutes of wearing them. For how good they sound, they're still worth wearing. So much better than the old SR60 (though nowhere near as comfortable!) What could I buy to increase comfort? I have no real problems with the headband.

I wonder if the ATH-A500 are any better. It's not like I move anywhere with ES7.

EDIT: Nevermind, this thread really helped me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back