Obscure Chinese DAPs
Feb 23, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #7,036 of 8,127
Well, it depends on what you want to use it for. One is a DAP and the other is a DAC/AMP. One is small, the Sonata iDSD Plus is big, but it has a balanced output and a lot of power, 2 Volts output.
There is also another alternative, for use as a dongle, the quality is not as high as the iDSD Plus, but it also gives 2V and it costs very cheap, it's the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, which I reviewed here.

You have to know I don't have the Tempotec Sonata iDSD. I have the Plus version, so I can't compare it to the jwm-115. The Plus version has real balanced output and uses two ESS ES9018K2M DAC and two ESS ES9601K.
I'm also seeing that the old version is very well priced, so it might be a good option, but I haven't been able to test it.

Feb 24, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #7,037 of 8,127
Received my TempoTec V1A today

I've found the connection to HiBy link a bit glitchy at times and have had the V1 shut down or Hiby not able to connect but it's not a huge issue and is usually rectified by reconnecting the player via BT.

Can I ask whether you're able to access all of the player settings via Hiby Link? Mine always show grayed out. I asked Hiby and Tempotec and they seemd to think you can only change the settings before connecting to your phone which seems a bit odd. To be fair I only use Hiby Link to select tracks since I have the V1 connected to a Chord Mojo. Also, I'm waiting for them to do something about the 20000 track DB limit. Having 2 SD slots and using 512 gb cards means that I have more than this on the player.

Feb 24, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #7,038 of 8,127
The V1 (without analog) TempoTec is down at 71.20 right now, while the JWD is at 68 ... not that different anymore :)
Enjoying the heck out of the V1A, though I only used the analog part only briefly to test if it works.
One problem I keep having with all players (and I honestly don't see a practical solution), with all that extra disc space now, the amount of music I can lug around becomes unmanagable, I keep scrolling forever to find what i look for / feel like ... anyone found a better way to tackle that?
I have nearly a TB of tracks on my V1 and agree with you about navigating the catalogue.I tend to make liberal use of the 'shuffle' feature, which can be fun when the device selects a weirdly appropriate follow up track. I only select specific albums or tracks when I know what I want. I can't recall if the V1 has a seach function?

Feb 24, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #7,039 of 8,127
I've found the connection to HiBy link a bit glitchy at times and have had the V1 shut down or Hiby not able to connect but it's not a huge issue and is usually rectified by reconnecting the player via BT.

Can I ask whether you're able to access all of the player settings via Hiby Link? Mine always show grayed out. I asked Hiby and Tempotec and they seemd to think you can only change the settings before connecting to your phone which seems a bit odd. To be fair I only use Hiby Link to select tracks since I have the V1 connected to a Chord Mojo. Also, I'm waiting for them to do something about the 20000 track DB limit. Having 2 SD slots and using 512 gb cards means that I have more than this on the player.
Didn’t know about that 20K limit!
Shuffle is not really working for me, or maybe if I rearrange my 2 as cards. One ‘active / running’ music and the other ‘chill / relax’ ... that’s actually a good idea!

Feb 24, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #7,040 of 8,127
Didn’t know about that 20K limit!
Shuffle is not really working for me, or maybe if I rearrange my 2 as cards. One ‘active / running’ music and the other ‘chill / relax’ ... that’s actually a good idea!
There's a custom firmware by Vortex that ups the track limit to around 65000 (I think the link is in the OP)

Feb 27, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #7,043 of 8,127
The regular has the 4490 and the other has a 4493. I would suggest the 4493 as I think it sounds better. It’s balance between the lows mids and highs are more evident and therefore easier to opamp roll. The 4490 is harder to get a good match. My experience is that the 4490, I felt needed to change the caps (which helped with the low end) the 4493, I didn’t feel like I needed to diy anything to have it sound good.

Mar 14, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #7,046 of 8,127
Acmee MF-01 - Wow!! This is 3/4 of Shozy Alien+ in terms of sound (one of the best DAP IMO) - Shozy, from memory, had bit better resulution. Technically there's also similarity, both have AK EQ series dac on higher voltage and Muses opamps somewhere inside. UI is bit better on Acmee.
Thank you ACMEE! :)

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #7,047 of 8,127
Acmee MF-01 - Wow!! This is 3/4 of Shozy Alien+ in terms of sound (one of the best daps IMO) - Shozy, from memory, had bit better resulution. Technicaly there's also similarity, both have AK EQ series dacs on higher voltage and muses opamps somewhere inside. UI is bit better on Acmee.
Thank you ACMEE! :)

How is the hiss/noise floor and is there any subbass roll off on this?

Mar 14, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #7,048 of 8,127
How is the hiss/noise floor and is there any subbass roll off on this?
I don't hear hissing or any noise on any of my iems and there's no rolloff. Kick is very powerful as on Alien+. I know that Acmee have higher output impedance, but same was on Alien+, there was perfect silence, highs was smooth and bass was very strong, but maybe on something like Andromeda it could apear.

For those WHO like analog sound as have Colorfly C4 or Alien+ it's easy rec.

Edit: cons - clicking between tracks, big shoot "click" when battery discharge and you have still earphones in ears

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #7,050 of 8,127
I don't hear hissing or any noise on any of my iems and there's no rolloff. Kick is very powerful as on Alien+. I know that Acmee have higher output impedance, but same was on Alien+, there was perfect silence, highs was smooth and bass was very strong, but maybe on something like Andromeda it could apear.

For those WHO like analog sound as have Colorfly C4 or Alien+ it's easy rec.

Edit: cons - clicking between tracks, big shoot "click" when battery discharge and you have still earphones in ears

Thanks for the input. Yeah I had some DAPs/dongle DAC/AMPs that had clicking between tracks. Pretty annoying and a potential dealbreaker for me. If you pause the music between changing tracks, does the clicking go away?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back