Obscure Chinese DAPs
Feb 17, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #7,021 of 8,143
Gueray at about £25.....or the Akamate at £50 from china , forfilled by Amazon..so hopefully could return if no good etc

Feb 19, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #7,022 of 8,143
Well went to order the amazon gueray , and now it's gone.....expect somebody on here bought the last one from this seller....don't want to use eBay really. So bought one of those small bluetooth transmitter which should send the music from any normal audio player with a 3.5mm output..Sending music to any bluetooth headphones, Ear Buds. ...So this may be ok for now. Worth a look anyway.

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #7,023 of 8,143
Received my TempoTec V1A today and in the very early stages of playing with it. Hit a snag with some BT stuff (tws disconnecting and the player then shutting down, in the middle of playing. Need to investigate if this can be replicated or if this was a one-off)

But I wanted to answer my own question, something I never found a response to despite asking and googling:
It IS possible to have this player connected to both: BT headsets AND phone via hiby link at the same time! Doing it right now! Only that album art is not coming across somehow (found an option to download via WiFi. Testing)

always thought that BT can only have one connection at a time. Works like a charm otherwise. And I think my 1MORE Stylish never sounded this good!!!

Feb 21, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #7,024 of 8,143
Hey All-

There is a Chinese seller on Ebay who has already put up for sale the new Zishan DSDs Dual Versions (Ak4497, Ak4499)

The Dsd Ak4497 2x is listed at $199 US

And the Ak4499 2x listed at $499 US

Although they aren't as DIY Budget-friendly for modding (risk of damage lost of investment modding because heftier cost for stock model) it's still can be considered a ”bargain” to some for it's specs especially if it lives up to past Zishan experience with those who love it's legendary sound-budget-ratio.

There is pics of the Dual Ak4497 but none for the Dual Ak4499 which are truly balanced. However, off the bat it looks like the battery should have been bigger for more hrs of playtime. Listed its only 4hrs which is kind of bad :frowning2:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/274273652726

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #7,025 of 8,143
Hey All-

There is a Chinese seller on Ebay who has already put up for sale the new Zishan DSDs Dual Versions (Ak4497, Ak4499)

The Dsd Ak4497 2x is listed at $199 US

And the Ak4499 2x listed at $499 US

Although they aren't as DIY Budget-friendly for modding (risk of damage lost of investment modding because heftier cost for stock model) it's still can be considered a ”bargain” to some for it's specs especially if it lives up to past Zishan experience with those who love it's legendary sound-budget-ratio.

There is pics of the Dual Ak4497 but none for the Dual Ak4499 which are truly balanced. However, off the bat it looks like the battery should have been bigger for more hrs of playtime. Listed its only 4hrs which is kind of bad :frowning2:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/274273652726
Looks interesting. $499 is kind of rough, though. Even if it had stellar sound, the rest of it doesn’t justify that kind of price (imho). Still, if you get it, let us know how it sounds.

Feb 21, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #7,026 of 8,143
Looks interesting. $499 is kind of rough, though. Even if it had stellar sound, the rest of it doesn’t justify that kind of price (imho). Still, if you get it, let us know how it sounds.

Yea, I’m with you but I am hoping that it’s far > $ when it hits AE.
Judging on what I know to be overhead cost the AK4499 Chip alone are $83 per...so a $299 price tag seems fair because most of the rest of the components cost > $30.

I honestly believe these Akm Sigma Delta chips are more suitable for DSD playback anyway because DSD sounds great on them and are cheaper to implement.

DSD is much easier for playback on the Zishan than PCM (many Sigma Delta Modulations like the AKM Chips now-in-days do make PCM sound great as well though) This is what makes them popular in the marketplace. However, the higher oversampling helps with lowering noise due to quantization errors in DSD playback despite the 1 bit resolution and lots of noise. But it’s such a pain and require so much gbs and CPU to play large a** files with battery life suck-age!

Ideally you wanna a R2R DAC that plays bit-prefect not oversampling quantization errors.

I have YET to see an R2R 24/96+ Budget friendly DIY and those professional ones are $1,000+ starting price and portable ones can be in the thousands!

I am really not sure why it’s so hard and expensive to make Portable DIY R2R DACs to mod and learn from! I would love for someone to explain this to me!

Regardless, Sigma Delta or R2R it’s all how well they are implemented in the hardware and software.

Feb 22, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #7,027 of 8,143
The display of the JWD JWM-115 is better than that of the Tempotec, it is a better quality panel, it is brighter and better protected. I also think it's more accurate and logical to use, it works more like a smartphone. However, it is heavier and a bit bigger, although, also, the construction looks more solid. As for the advantages of the Variations V1-A, it is the double SD card slot, has more power, works as a DAC and can be used as a transport. But it's also more expensive...

And why a comparison only with x2 and tempotek?
How is the sound compared to other players - acme, zishan, etc.?

Feb 22, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #7,028 of 8,143
The display of the JWD JWM-115 ....
As for the advantages of the Variations V1-A, it is the double SD card slot, has more power, works as a DAC and can be used as a transport. But it's also more expensive...

The V1 (without analog) TempoTec is down at 71.20 right now, while the JWD is at 68 ... not that different anymore :)
Enjoying the heck out of the V1A, though I only used the analog part only briefly to test if it works.
One problem I keep having with all players (and I honestly don't see a practical solution), with all that extra disc space now, the amount of music I can lug around becomes unmanagable, I keep scrolling forever to find what i look for / feel like ... anyone found a better way to tackle that?

Feb 22, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #7,029 of 8,143
The V1 (without analog) TempoTec is down at 71.20 right now, while the JWD is at 68 ... not that different anymore :)
Enjoying the heck out of the V1A, though I only used the analog part only briefly to test if it works.
One problem I keep having with all players (and I honestly don't see a practical solution), with all that extra disc space now, the amount of music I can lug around becomes unmanagable, I keep scrolling forever to find what i look for / feel like ... anyone found a better way to tackle that?
Playlists. Another way is to only index one card and keep the other card for full albums and such and not index those. That way, you can find the full albums in the sd folder and use the player like a shuffle. Anyways, that’s how I do it

Feb 22, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #7,031 of 8,143
Please advise what is better to buy
in terms QUALITY of SOUND -
1. jwm-115
or usb-dac for smartphone -
2. tempotec sonata idsd ?

Tempotec Sonata iDSD Plus

And why a comparison only with x2 and tempotek?
How is the sound compared to other players - acme, zishan, etc.?

I'm overworked and trying to make comparisons with similar devices. Acmee MF-01 is much more powerful and has no touch screen, comparisons would only be in sound and it is not easy to compare. The sound of each is different, more spectacular and spacious the jwm-115, while the MF-01 is very special and natural, an organic sound that does not surprise, but that can be liked very much for its sincerity.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #7,032 of 8,143

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #7,033 of 8,143
Tempotec Sonata iDSD Plus

I'm overworked and trying to make comparisons with similar devices. Acmee MF-01 is much more powerful and has no touch screen, comparisons would only be in sound and it is not easy to compare. The sound of each is different, more spectacular and spacious the jwm-115, while the MF-01 is very special and natural, an organic sound that does not surprise, but that can be liked very much for its sincerity.

I'm talking about the regular version without "PLUS" (the same stuffing, but with one DAC and one amplifier) )
There is an opportunity to buy it.

Feb 23, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #7,034 of 8,143
I'm talking about the regular version without "PLUS" (the same stuffing, but with one DAC and one amplifier) )
There is an opportunity to buy it.

Yes, I know. But if you can buy the plus version, it's a great option, even used as a DAC connected to the PC. The balanced output is very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back