Obscure Chinese DAPs
Jan 4, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #4,156 of 8,140
Jan 4, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #4,157 of 8,140
Disagree about the t6^cracknoises until proven otherwise. For me this concluded I did not want to take the risk of hearing those noises alot during my trailruns because I skip alot of songs during a run (if I did get those cracks the impact is quite severe because I skip alot more songs then most users)

I've been testing and using multiple Benjie BJ-T6 / AGPtek Rocker DAPs with all released firmware versions for over a year and that cracking sound is not present in any of them. What is being heard in that video is the power amp of the connected stereo system switching on and off as it receives and then does not receive a signal from the DAP.

Some people auditioning this DAP with the volume turned to 0 have heard the T6/Rocker amp switching on and then off when skipping from one album or song to another, but it is an almost silent, muffled sounding, low frequency thump. Most cannot hear in that frequency range, so it is not commonly reported.

In use with any volume at all it is not discernible even by those who can hear in that frequency range. Playing albums and songs continuously does not produce any momentary off/on-state of the DAP amp, so there is not even the possibility of hearing amp switching under those playing conditions.

You are going to hear microacoustics from earphone cable rubbing, your breathing, the sound of wind, other people, footfalls, leaves moving much more than any switching sound if you are trying to listen while running.

Using Bluetooth certainly does lower sound quality and I seldom use Bluetooth for just that reason, but eliminating wired earphone microacoustics, cable entanglements and inadvertently pulling your earphones out of your ears is a worthwhile trade-off for most runners and hikers, including me!

Jan 4, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #4,158 of 8,140
Have you considered Ruizu X02/Agptek A02?. They are available in Amazon UK for arounf EUR 25. Here is the dedicated thread for X02.

https://head-fi.org/threads/the-ruizu-x02-dap-thread.744865/

There is another model called A20, which I think is the same as A02, but with extra buttons for 'Back' and 'Menu'. That's available in Amazon as well for the same price,
There is also the Ruizu B03 that I've found sounds much better than the X02 and on par with the Benjie models. I forget the AGpTEK version name.

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #4,159 of 8,140
Sorry if you've covered this one already but I don't have time to read all the posts right now - Have you considered the upgraded Benjie S5 with Bluetooth for $25?
AliExpress link
The Bluetooth implementation on this is reportedly the same as in the K8 which is just... unfortunate. You loose access to playlists and other menus under Bluetooth and have to enter a separate music selection menu.

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #4,160 of 8,140
AGPtEK-B03-Black-Review-1024x874.jpg

There is also the Ruizu B03 that I've found sounds much better than the X02 and on par with the Benjie models. I forget the AGpTEK version name.

Is this the same one? Reminds me of Kogan mp4 player. Can you please give a quick impression on the sound signature? Warm/ bright..

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #4,162 of 8,140
For FAudio FA1, this read is interesting, its about sound description of its AK4497EQ DAC and explain quite well type of attempt we can have with such a decoder technology (I wish the FA1 have 6 sound filter as its an important feature of this DAC):

image.jsp

image.jsp
image.jsp
The AK4497 is a new generation premium 32-bit DAC based on AKM’s VELVET SOUND architecture that has been widely adopted by well-established high-end audio companies. High signal to noise performance is achieved by improving VELVET SOUND technology by supporting a larger current drive capability. The performance of an audio DAC using switched capacitor is expanded to the limit with the AK4497. In addition, AKM has developed an original process that has greatly improved low noise performance and electric margin for audio devices, increasing data amount and enhancing original acoustic sound that can be found in the sound strength.
image.jsp

Premium DAC VERITA AK4497EQ

● Dynamic Sound Playback with Large Amount of Playback Information: VELVET SOUND architecture is improved
Not only circuit designing but also the LSI manufacturing process was newly developed at AKM exclusively for AKM’s audio devices. The AK4497 is the first device to utilize this process in AKMs foundry. 32-bit processing is integrated for the IRD (Impulse Response Designed) Filter, reproducing a detailed and natural signal wave. A low-dispersion short delay filter was newly added to the other five filters found in our previous generation device. So, six different digital filter types are selectable according to the user audio and system preferences.

● AKM’s Best Performance D/A Converter
Low-distortion technology achieves industry’s best performance of -116dB THD+N DAC with 128dB S/N characteristic. The AK4497 has the best performance among AKM’s D/A converters. In addition, OSRD (Over Sampling Ratio Doubler) technology greatly reduces out of band noise.

● Supporting High Resolution Data
The first in the industry, a 22.4MHz DSD input is supported. The digital input supports up to 768 kHz PCM and 22.4 MHz DSD (Direct Stream Digital), recreating high-resolution sound that is as close as possible to the original acoustic source.

● Application
High-end Audio, Professional Audio, AV Receivers, CD/SACD Players, Network Audio, USB DAC’s

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #4,164 of 8,140
Jan 5, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #4,166 of 8,140
Jan 5, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #4,167 of 8,140
Greetings...
New to this thread and am looking for a relatively small DAP for workouts.

First, curious mostly... is there any difference between the AGPTEK H50 and the RUIZU A50? They seem identical.
Second, other than these and the Shanling M1, what else is out there for this use? (I've looked at the Hidizs AP60, and it seems like a good unit. Lotoo PAW 5000 and Pico are great, but have drawbacks. xDuoo Nano D3 great, but may be a bit big...)

Looking for expandable memory, ability to play up to 24/96k res in multiple formats (AIFF, FLAC, ALAC, etc.), gapless playback, small (less than 3" x 2" x 0.6"), around 50g or 60g, and... if at all possible, a clip for workouts (can't use armbands).

Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks!!

Jan 5, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #4,170 of 8,140
Agree, even Zishan Z3 has switchable filters on AK4490, I emailed FA1 developer but got no reply :frowning2:
can you share me the email please?
Will try my chance too...have quite a lot of questions to ask but will try to not scare them...supposedly they just talk chinese so it surely not help consumer support!
If Zishan Z3 have this filter (Xduoo XD05 have 5 filter as supposed with AK4490 DAC) well, perhaps its just a firmware update possibility....don't know if it need extra chip converter or god know why...

Still, the FA1 can sound phenomenal with lot of earbuds and earphones and headphones....just try it with EMX500 and it became so clear sounding but still keep bass impact, really really a good pairing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back