Obscure Chinese DAPs
May 18, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #5,911 of 8,127
Seems like Benjie recently released some variants of the new Benjie X6, called the Benjie X5. Interestingly, the X5 is being sold in both Bluetooth 5.0, and non-Bluetooth versions, so I wonder what's the difference in features between the latter, and the Benjie X6? What makes for the almost $10 difference between them? For a full touch screen audio device, I think the non-Bluetooth version of the X5 seems quite cheap!

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/BENJIE-X6-Full-Touch-Screen-MP3-Speler-4-GB-8-GB-Muziekspeler-Met-FM-Radio-Video/33018718566.html

The Benjie X6, which I received a few days ago, has a 3.0 inch screen while the X5 has a 2.5 inch screen. For myself I would not want it to be any smaller. This is why, cute as it is, I never got a Shanling MO... even though one of the choices was purple:)

Also please note how I shorted that long link in my quote. We are supposed to remove all the junk after the .html - the part which in this case starts with ?spm. I wonder if that is short for spam?

May 18, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #5,912 of 8,127
Seems like Benjie recently released some variants of the new Benjie X6, called the Benjie X5. Interestingly, the X5 is being sold in both Bluetooth 5.0, and non-Bluetooth versions, so I wonder what's the difference in features between the latter, and the Benjie X6? What makes for the almost $10 difference between them? For a full touch screen audio device, I think the non-Bluetooth version of the X5 seems quite cheap!

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/BENJIE-X6-Full-Touch-Screen-MP3-Speler-4-GB-8-GB-Muziekspeler-Met-FM-R adio-Video/33018718566.html

Seems like X6 has a 3 inch screen and the X5 has a 2.5 inch screen. The battery of X6 is 900 mah and X5 has a 700 mah battery. And ofcourse the optional bluetooth as you mentioned is a difference.

I was tempted to order the X6 but without bluetooth it didn’t tick all of my boxes. Now i’ll probably buy the X5 when there will be an Aliexpress sale.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #5,913 of 8,127
The Benjie X6, which I received a few days ago, has a 3.0 inch screen while the X5 has a 2.5 inch screen. For myself I would not want it to be any smaller. This is why, cute as it is, I never got a Shanling MO... even though one of the choices was purple:)

Does it do gapless, because I know you only use DAPs that are gapless.

May 18, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #5,914 of 8,127
Does it do gapless, because I know you only use DAPs that are gapless.

I require gapless on my more serious DAP because I do have certain albums that require it. There is a lot of music that does not require it.

My non-gapless players include this Benjie X6, the Ruizu A50 and the Moonlight M1. I have them because sometimes I want a small player. They are all inexpensive.

I have the Moonlight AIGO M1 because my husband impulse bought it... and then received a couple of other daps around the same time. [Don't click on links in here when you are half asleep]. I was having trouble using the rocker button thingie on my Hidizs AP60 II so we traded as he did want a small dap. The Hidizs is the better of the two and does do gapless but I just was unable to get on with the UI and the buttons. Both are very solidly built and both sound great.

I hesitate to recommend the Moonlight because of one issue. When the amp switches on it pops loudly. You do not want to have an iem or bud plugged into it (especially not in your ears). when you start it up and press play. What I do is turn it on with nothing attached navigate to the song I will start with, press play then pause and put in my IEM or bud. Then I can go ahead and use it normally until it has to be powered down. So, I have to remember to do this whenever I first power up. Sometimes I wonder now if maybe burn in has cured this but I am reluctant to test it. Maybe I will with a pair of IEMs that I don't care about and just hold them near my ears.

The Ruizu A50 is what I use for sleeping sometimes when my husband is away. It gets over 20 hours battery life, is built like a tank and has folder play-through (which this new Benjie X6 does not. It is small and square like a Shanling M1. I plan to redo the card so it only includes music that is not too agressive for sleeping. Nothing worse than drifting off to something quiet and relaxing and then suddenly awakening to something super energetic.

Some of these less expensive Daps will only keep the albums in alphabetical order if you use something like FAT Sorter. Otherwise they will appear in the order that they were written to the card. We are used to Windows sorting that for us. More advanced DAPs will also do that.

Oh... almost forgot ... I also have the Sao Mai SM4 but it is useless to me. The font is microscopic. Need a magnifying glass to see it. No gapless on that. It also sometimes clicks between tracks. I kept hoping for a firmware update. It sits in a case and has a 16gb card in it. I wish I could use it I love the look and the form factor and the battery life was around 40 hours.

That is one thing I am really pleased about with this new Bengie X6. Very easy to read and use. It does not have folder play-though though but is fine when I want to just listen to one album and don't mind turning on the display to choose another. I think I could make playlists though.

Haha.. this turned out to be way more than you asked for:)

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #5,915 of 8,127
I require gapless on my more serious DAP because I do have certain albums that require it. There is a lot of music that does not require it.

My non-gapless players include this Benjie X6, the Ruizu A50 and the Moonlight M1. I have them because sometimes I want a small player. They are all inexpensive.

I have the Moonlight AIGO M1 because my husband impulse bought it... and then received a couple of other daps around the same time. [Don't click on links in here when you are half asleep]. I was having trouble using the rocker button thingie on my Hidizs AP60 II so we traded as he did want a small dap. The Hidizs is the better of the two and does do gapless but I just was unable to get on with the UI and the buttons. Both are very solidly built and both sound great.

I hesitate to recommend the Moonlight because of one issue. When the amp switched on it pops loudly. You do not want to have an iem or bud plugged into it (especially not in your ears). when you start it up and press play. What I do is turn it on with nothing attached navigate to the song I will start with, press play then pause and put in my IEM or bud. Then I can go ahead and use it normally until it has to be powered down. So, I have to remember to do this whenever I first power up. Sometimes I wonder now if maybe burn in has cured this but I am reluctant to test it. Maybe I will with a pair of IEMs that I don't care about and just hold them near my ears.

The Ruizu A50 is what I use for sleeping sometimes when my husband is away. It gets over 20 hours battery life, is built like a tank and has folder play-through (which this new Benjie X6 does not. It is small and square like a Shanling M1. I plan to redo the card so it only includes music that is not too agressive for sleeping. Nothing worse than drifting off to something quiet and relaxing and then suddenly awakening to something super energetic.

Some of these less expensive Daps will only keep the albums in alphabetical order if you use something like FAT Sorter. Otherwise they will appear in the order that they were written to the card. We are used to Windows sorting that for us. More advanced DAPs will also do that.

Oh... almost forgot ... I also have the Sao Mai SM4 but it is useless to me. The font is microscopic. Need a magnifying glass to see it. No gapless on that. It also sometimes clicks between tracks. I kept hoping for a firmware update. It sits in a case and has a 16gb card in it. I wish I could use it I love the look and the form factor and the battery life was around 40 hours.

That is one thing I am really pleased about with this new Bengie X6. Very easy to read and use. It does not have folder play-though though but is fine when I want to just listen to one album and don't mind turning on the display to choose another. I think I could make playlists though.

Haha.. this turned out to be way more than you asked for:)

Excellent, very helpful info! I appreciate you taking the time to add the extra details.

I had forget many of these cheap players don’t automatic sorting. That’s a shame, as it’s such a trivial feature to implement. Does the X6 sort by default?

BTW, for sleeping I use my 16GB iPod Nano 6G, as its super tiny (about the same size as a paper matchbook or the Apple Watch), and it clips to my shirt. They work great, and you can pick them up very cheap nowadays.

May 18, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #5,916 of 8,127
Does the X6 sort by default?

I don't know. I got a card ready and then just ran FAT Sorter on it before putting it in the player. No idea if it was necessary but it didn't hurt :) I will check next time I add some albums. It is just kind of a fun little toy... it's not like I NEEDED it.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #5,917 of 8,127
I had forget many of these cheap players don’t automatic sorting. That’s a shame, as it’s such a trivial feature to implement.

Is it trivial? I have always assumed that the players that do not sort the FAT do not have enough computing power... and that keeps the cost down.

May 18, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #5,918 of 8,127
Is it trivial? I have always assumed that the players that do not sort the FAT do not have enough computing power... and that keeps the cost down.

Yes, it’s trivial.

Displaying it alphabetically is simply a matter of the way the folder/file directory listing is displayed in Linux (the operating system these all run).

Most likely they’re using the LS command in Linux. There’s what’s called command line switches, and the part of the code where they basically have it say “list out the contents of the card to the screen”, they would instead simply write the code to say “list out the contents of the care to the screen alphabetically in ascending order”.

You can see examples of ways the output can be sorted here:
https://www.rapidtables.com/code/linux/ls.html#options

And even if they’re not using LS, there’s command line options available for whatever command they are using. And if they’re writing custom code to do the whole thing, then the sky IS truly the limit and they can definitely make it alphabetical.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #5,919 of 8,127

Also please note how I shorted that long link in my quote. We are supposed to remove all the junk after the .html - the part which in this case starts with ?spm. I wonder if that is short for spam?
Does the X6 have USB-C?

May 19, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #5,921 of 8,127

I personally am fine with the size of the M0, which is why I might pull the plug on the X5 to replace my Benjie K8, which I misplaced, though you revealing that the X6 does not do Folder Play greatly worries me as that is literally the only way I play my music lol, maybe the X5 has the Folder Play feature? I mean, it's a smaller display as you said, so some changes to the UI and ease of use may have been made? We'll see.

And thank you for the heads up on the link. I apologize for any trouble I may have caused with that and I will try remembering to remove all that excess fluff in the future.

May 19, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #5,922 of 8,127
I personally am fine with the size of the M0, which is why I might pull the plug on the X5 to replace my Benjie K8, which I misplaced, though you revealing that the X6 does not do Folder Play greatly worries me as that is literally the only way I play my music lol, maybe the X5 has the Folder Play feature? I mean, it's a smaller display as you said, so some changes to the UI and ease of use may have been made? We'll see.

And thank you for the heads up on the link. I apologize for any trouble I may have caused with that and I will try remembering to remove all that excess fluff in the future.

Just to make sure I have not been clear..... when I say folder play-through I mean that when one album (folder) is finished playing, the next one will begin.

I have some daps like the Cayin where you can tick a box to make it play one folder after another for as long as you want or until the battery dies:) There is a choice.

I have some like the Moonlight and the Ruizu that just keep playing through the folders with no option to tell it to play just one.

And, I have a some that stop after an album is finished so I have to turn on the display and choose my next album... like this Benjie X6...and even my Opus#1.

You could check with Benjie but I expect the UI to be the same for the X5 and X6. If it is, then that folder play through feature could be added in a future update.

May 19, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #5,923 of 8,127
I mean, it's a smaller display as you said, so some changes to the UI and ease of use may have been made? We'll see.

Don't get your hopes up. The resolution is the same (320x240) so probably it uses the same (internal) hardware with the exception of the screen size and the optional bluetooth on X5. The software feature-wise will probably also be the same. The UI/icons will just be a tad smaller.

May 19, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #5,924 of 8,127
My take on the Benjie X6

Goods:
- Touchscreen
- User interface
- Size
- 7 preset EQs with a 5 band customisable EQ
- Has speaker (useless, TBH)

Decent
- Battery life at ard 12hrs

Bad
- As @mbwilson111 suggested, the folder play doesnt work. After the last song in a folder, it skips to the next folder
- Doesnt play the last played file when u turn on the player (idk if i loaded my music into the internal memory will that be different)
- SQ is a step down from Benjie S5

That SQ is a killing blow for me, as i was hoping for at the very least something similar to the S5. I really hope there is a firmware update for this (i contacted the flagship store on taobao, currently this is the latest FW, no luck with the benjie account on wechat). Perhaps i should give it more time for brain burn :thinking: rather, i am still giving them a chance as i am waiting patiently for over a month for the X3's replacement batteries to arrive :sob:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back