Obscure Chinese DAPs
Sep 10, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #3,392 of 8,127
Sep 10, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #3,393 of 8,127
Yeah I've been keeping an eye on that one. Wouldn't mind getting it for the sake of curiosity. It would have to be pretty spectacular to best the Ruizu A50.

I like that it has volume buttons. I am not really a fan of the scroll wheel even though I do love my little Ruizu. If the MS1 has gapless play then it very well might best the Ruizu if the UI is decent.

I wouldn't mind trying the Agptek Rocker out of curiousity. Price is pretty low on that too.

Sep 10, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #3,394 of 8,127
I like that it has volume buttons. I am not really a fan of the scroll wheel even though I do love my little Ruizu. If the MS1 has gapless play then it very well might best the Ruizu if the UI is decent.

I wouldn't mind trying the Agptek Rocker out of curiousity. Price is pretty low on that too.
The Rocker has slightly better sound IMO but the A50 has a good UI and button configuration.

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #3,395 of 8,127
If such things exist, would anybody be able to suggest some cheaper players that are both powerful enough for 150Ω iem, and have long playback time? preferably at least 12hrs-16hrs at high volume/power.

I see there are some players like the Nintaus X10, Mrobo C5 2.0 in the $50-$60 range, and a couple of Bejie models less than $30 with excellent playback time, but I see review comments saying they are not very powerful, so I worry that they would not be sufficient, or the playback time will be extremely reduced at high volume.

I'd probably buy from one of the Chinese stores like Shenzhen Audio, Penon or Joybuy to avoid EU power output limited players, and if the answer is that I need a higher budget then so be it.

Thanks!

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #3,396 of 8,127
If such things exist, would anybody be able to suggest some cheaper players that are both powerful enough for 150Ω iem, and have long playback time? preferably at least 12hrs-16hrs at high volume/power.

I see there are some players like the Nintaus X10, Mrobo C5 2.0 in the $50-$60 range, and a couple of Bejie models less than $30 with excellent playback time, but I see review comments saying they are not very powerful, so I worry that they would not be sufficient, or the playback time will be extremely reduced at high volume.

I'd probably buy from one of the Chinese stores like Shenzhen Audio, Penon or Joybuy to avoid EU power output limited players, and if the answer is that I need a higher budget then so be it.

Thanks!

You might also consider buying a used DAP from the For Sale forum here. I think most items will have been taken care of and the batteries should still be fine if the DAP is not too old.

Having said that, the DAPs that have good output power and battery life include the Cowon D2/D2+ and any of the Fiio DAPs (X1 II would be a very good choice, but you might find the X3 II in your price range used.)

You can look up tested specifications for many DAPs here - http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/dac.php

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #3,397 of 8,127

Thanks!

I'd say Ruizu A50 definitely fits that. It has enough power for my 150 ohm Asura 2 (in fact enough for the VE Zen 2 and they don't sound too shabby :). Really impressed by it, and fits the price range as well I think (I paid £43, so about $52, on Penon)

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #3,398 of 8,127
I'd say Ruizu A50 definitely fits that. It has enough power for my 150 ohm Asura 2 (in fact enough for the VE Zen 2 and they don't sound too shabby :). Really impressed by it, and fits the price range as well I think (I paid £43, so about $52, on Penon)

The Ruizu A 50 is a powerful little thing. There are no gain settings so I think it might be in high gain all the time. I was listening with some new efficient IEMs today (Boarseman CX 98) and had the volume wheel at 8. Sounded so good that I kept letting the next album play. Finally had to force myself to stop.

Keep in mind that there is no gapless play. For that reaon this could never be my only player. It is fine for albums that consist of separate songs....singer/songwriters, folk, blues, most rock etc. If you normally just shuffle play that is ok too. Not good for live albums, Pink Floyd, Devin Townsend etc...anything where each track is meant to flow into the next. It is not just the matter of a few second silence between tracks...it will sound like a glitch. I put those albums on my Opus or my Cayin. The Ruizu is just so pocketable that I use it often.

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #3,399 of 8,127
You know you buy too many daps when you pick up 4 from the post office on the same day! Yesterday was a fun day :-D

I blame the really good offers they had on Joybuy on the Shanling players being so close to the Ali sale.

Sadly though, only 3 of the 4 I picked up appear to work. Can't get a sound out of the BlueBird M1 as a player (works as an amp, wondering if it's a problem with the SD reader). Gutted about that.

The other players were the Shanling M1 and M2S, and the Ruizu A50. Did I need em all. Nope. But...

Anyway, for different reasons, really impressed by the Shanling M2S and the Ruizu A50. The M1 hasn't had much play yet, but it will.

The M2S is just gorgeous, both looks and sound. A lot has been said about that by others, so I'll move onto the one that really surprised me.

The Ruizu A50 has got to be one of the best players you can get at even close to that price. It seems really powerful for its size, and it doesn't embarrass itself in the company of other players I have at several times the price - insanely good to my ears considering it was £43. Seems to charge quickly and last for ages, and it read the 145gb contents of my 200gb micro SD really quickly on initial startup (my quickest previously has been the Hidizs AP60, but this must've beat it I think).

It has a few flaws I'm not going to complain about at the price and mostly to be expected (the interface isn't as intuitive as it could be, but maybe more than my older Ruizu/Benjie stuff; no line out; cover art is tiny although the screen itself is lovely and text really clear; no gapless; and, oddly, no pause that I can find).

The sound is great though. Leagues ahead of anything I've heard from the likes of Ruizu before. The screen is really nice, and it is tiny (same height as the M1, slightly narrower but a little bit thicker). Definitely will become my go-to player for travelling.
I see you also have ap60. Can you compare with A50 in term of SQ and power. I imagine ap60 has better SQ but not sure on power.

Sep 11, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #3,400 of 8,127
I see you also have ap60. Can you compare with A50 in term of SQ and power. I imagine ap60 has better SQ but not sure on power.

Not as clear cut as I thought it would be. The AP60 is a bit smoother / the A50 a bit brighter but I couldn't pick a preference (and the A50 isn't too bright). Tried it with Eminem and Blind Guardian (it doesn't get as far different as those two), on the ISK MDH9000 and the Asura 2. I like 'em both. Power-wise the A50 is like the AP60 on high gain (trying to match by putting both on the same proportional volume). For their respective prices they're both great value. The Hidizs is obviously around 50% more expensive, but has Bluetooth, better cover art (not as clear a screen but a much bigger image) and gapless. Both are great buys.

Sep 12, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #3,402 of 8,127
Sep 12, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #3,403 of 8,127
...tested specifications for many DAPs here - http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/dac.php

Thank you for the link and suggestions :)

I'd ruled FiiO out previously, but it seems like they might've partially fixed the gapless on the X1 ii, so maybe this could be an option now.

Ruizu A50...

I did look at that one briefly, but I'd prefer gapless if I can get it, and I had some doubt the battery would be big enough. But that is a nice low cost device which people seem to be pretty happy with overall. I think I will add it on the shortlist

I will be keeping an eye on the Chinese stores, looking back through this thread some of the deals have been excellent.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #3,404 of 8,127

I just read your profile page......How many ears do you have?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back