O2 AMP + ODAC
Feb 14, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #3,946 of 5,671
Feb 14, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #3,947 of 5,671
DP

Feb 14, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #3,948 of 5,671
From my very limited knowledge, the computer gives the DAC data (bytes and bits), not analog signal. So I honestly don't know how USB cables can improve the sound.

Just try it. Blind test it if you like.

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #3,949 of 5,671
Do you really know how digital sound is transmitted?

So now you  hear digital sound? There is no such thing whatever gets transmitted through a USB cable is just a data like any other data. That is why you need a DAC to listen to music.

But then if you listen directly to a digital data then I can't argue with you my brain still can't process/interpret digital data.

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #3,950 of 5,671
So now you  hear digital sound? There is no such thing whatever gets transmitted through a USB cable is just a data like any other data. That is why you need a DAC to listen to music.

But then if you listen directly to a digital data then I can't argue with you my brain still can't process/interpret digital data.

You're putting words into my mouth. Where did I say I hear a digital signal?

Hey, if you can't hear any difference, that's perfectly ok and have fun.

But I blind tested it, and I definitely hear differences. The main difference with the Neo by Oyaide dB+ Class S OCC copper USB cable is it brings better bass and the treble isn't harsh. As I said, the resulting sound sounded more analogue-like.

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #3,951 of 5,671

Anyone who knows how digital data is transmitted will surely feel silly just by the thought of actually undergoing any test. It's purely expectation bias and goes to prove we can't trust what we hear if we see where the sound is coming from no matter how perfect our hearing maybe.

Not sure if I've shared this already.

While differential, digital data arrives the same via one cable compared to another cable (i.e., jitter is largely a function of the transmitting device and receiving controller), the +5V and GND lines are susceptible to interference. A DAC that relies on the USB's +5V supply is therefore susceptible to interference from the attached USB cable, and not all USB cables perform the same with respect to EMI. Placing a good ferrite on an ordinary USB cable improves dynamic range by up to 10dB on ODAC. NwAvGuy vaguely addressed this difference.

We sure felt silly when we cancelled development of a new DAC last year over cabling performance. The concept DAC plugged directly into a USB port, like a thumb drive. Two prototypes were built: one with a direct USB type A (male) connector, and an otherwise identical version equipped with a mini-USB jack (female). The direct USB prototype eliminated the need for a cable, but ruined performance. Project cancelled! Of course, there are solutions to such interference, but the point is, a USB device which relies on the +5V line may be sensitive to the EMI performance of its USB cable.

So, ferrites matter. Since not all USB cables utilize the same ferrite, it's possible to observe varying jitter and dynamic range performance with a USB driven DAC. A decent ferrite costs about $1. As for those $100 USB cables, well, aesthetics are nice, too. Just make sure there's a ferrite attached!

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #3,953 of 5,671
Thanks Seaber. I'm currently using a cable from my old digital cam that has a ferrite bead. 

Too bad you had to cancel the direct usb DAC :frowning2: Is it possible to include the ferrite in your "DAC thumb?" 

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #3,954 of 5,671
  Thanks Seaber. I'm currently using a cable from my old digital cam that has a ferrite bead. 

Too bad you had to cancel the direct usb DAC :frowning2: Is it possible to include the ferrite in your "DAC thumb?" 

Nah, that concept design is long gone. There is no direct substitute for a ferrite on a cable. The easiest, non-EMC, solution is to supply power external from the USB cable.

I wasn't entirely convinced the world needed another tiny DAC, so we halted development and moved on to more exciting projects.

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #3,956 of 5,671

Nah, that concept design is long gone. There is no direct substitute for a ferrite on a cable. The easiest, non-EMC, solution is to supply power external from the USB cable.

I wasn't entirely convinced the world needed another tiny DAC, so we halted development and moved on to more exciting projects.

I really hope you guys will produce a mobile DAC/amp that's smaller than the C5D. I like the C5D a lot, but as I use 2 smartphones at once, I can't put the C5D into my pocket.

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #3,957 of 5,671
  I really hope you guys will produce a mobile DAC/amp that's smaller than the C5D. I like the C5D a lot, but as I use 2 smartphones at once, I can't put the C5D into my pocket.

One day. For now, battery capacity is the limitation for a strong portable amp. Users want longer run time and more power, and that necessitates a larger battery.
  Do tell, what "exciting projects"? :)

I've already said too much. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #3,958 of 5,671
I couldn't find a thread on the O2 in the DIY section so I'm just going to ask here.

So, I soldered together my own O2+ODAC a couple of months ago and everything works fine so far. However, there might be few small problems.

Because this was my first DIY attempt, I didn't honor the "put everything in shortest to tallest" rule too throughly, and the regulators (U5, U6) ended up being too tall, which can potentially short to the case. I've checked, and there is around 1mm of space between the top to the case, but it might touch the case if the amp is held upside down or if I apply pressure to the board.

I've tried heating up the joints to push the regulators down a bit, but I cannot heat all 3 joints on the regulator at the same time and the top of the regulator gets quite hot during soldering which makes it hard to push down.

Can any experienced DIYer tell me if this could cause a problem, and if so, how could I fix it?

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #3,959 of 5,671

Not sure if I've shared this already.

While differential, digital data arrives the same via one cable compared to another cable (i.e., jitter is largely a function of the transmitting device and receiving controller), the +5V and GND lines are susceptible to interference. A DAC that relies on the USB's +5V supply is therefore susceptible to interference from the attached USB cable, and not all USB cables perform the same with respect to EMI. Placing a good ferrite on an ordinary USB cable improves dynamic range by up to 10dB on ODAC. NwAvGuy vaguely addressed this difference.

We sure felt silly when we cancelled development of a new DAC last year over cabling performance. The concept DAC plugged directly into a USB port, like a thumb drive. Two prototypes were built: one with a direct USB type A (male) connector, and an otherwise identical version equipped with a mini-USB jack (female). The direct USB prototype eliminated the need for a cable, but ruined performance. Project cancelled! Of course, there are solutions to such interference, but the point is, a USB device which relies on the +5V line may be sensitive to the EMI performance of its USB cable.

So, ferrites matter. Since not all USB cables utilize the same ferrite, it's possible to observe varying jitter and dynamic range performance with a USB driven DAC. A decent ferrite costs about $1. As for those $100 USB cables, well, aesthetics are nice, too. Just make sure there's a ferrite attached!

I saw your comment about USB cable with ferrites before (not sure if it's this thread). The measured difference is huge but was it tested to be audible against quality cable without ferrites? Can't seem to find any comment about it from Nwavguy's blog. Thanks

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #3,960 of 5,671
I have a question regarding low volume listening. I almost Always listen at low volums with my x2's. ATM I'm listening to the lowest possible volume possible without channel imbalance at 1x gain.

Is it possible to set the gain at e.g. 0.5x?
Or would it be a better alternative to buy another volume pot without channel imbalance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back