Now listening to Sennheiser IE8 with Upgraded Cable!!
Aug 25, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #16 of 43
I just saw and ordered a 'upgrade' cable from ebay. Apparently it's silver plated and braided. It's $50 USD and there are only 4 left. I will update this thread with my impressions when I receive it. http://cgi.ebay.com/Upgrade-Cable-SENNHEISER-IE8-Night-stalker-IE8-/110574283606?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #17 of 43
Ok, this one from HK looks nice, at least it's got gold plated plug instead of the nickel one.
I just wonder why there are not many of wires upgrade for the IE8. If I have later on this year,
I probably will try to source some better parts to make my own cable. But probably getting
this ebay one will save me a lot of time.

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #18 of 43
Very interested in this. Looking forward to reading your impressions.
smile_phones.gif

Aug 26, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #19 of 43

Quote:
Ok, this one from HK looks nice, at least it's got gold plated plug instead of the nickel one.
I just wonder why there are not many of wires upgrade for the IE8. If I have later on this year,
I probably will try to source some better parts to make my own cable. But probably getting
this ebay one will save me a lot of time.

Actually, there are a quite a lot of upgrade cables for the IE8 although I'd be more inclined to say "other" cables. Most of them are in China and Hong Kong and it's as though they go out of their way to make it difficult for folks outside their market to make a purchase. After numerous futile attempts to buy IE8 cables from both countries I just give up haha.
My local audio shop has about 4 or 5 different cables for the IE8 but only one is available for purchase. I did purchase that one ( Baldur) but I had to send it back because it seems to be broken.

I also did try the Canare MR202 with the IE8 and though relatively inexpensive (1400NT ~ 45US). In my opinion it did improve the sound the most because the salient midbass of the IE8 was now noticeably diminished and the bass was much faster, controlled and bass extension had improved. Micro-details were a lot more evident and the sound field was like a dinosaur's shadow. However, the workmanship of that cable leaves a lot more to be desired. The one I now have has severe channel imbalance and the two pin prongs are very fragile. In fcat I've had an experience where the pins got stuck in my IE8 when removing the cable. The cable is also heavy and not even close to being as supple as that of the original IE8 cable.ie Not that suitable for portable listening.

By the Way Rip N' Burn. I eagerly await your thoughts on the cable!! Of those cables I tried, not all change was good as there were some cables that made the midbass even more pronounced. However, some changed it for the better and the differences they made were much more clear cut than any portable amps I tried with the IE8.

Aug 27, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #20 of 43
Thanks for the information honeyboy!

Yes, I realise that it is actually very difficult to source these IE8 cables from China, probably a bit easier in HK, (but they don't sell it online).
And, most importantly, they are not cheap. I probably will not go that far by getting a cable which is even more expensive than my headphones
or earphones. Like some other members had said millions of times, it maybe wiser to get another a new pair if you are investing so much just
on improving the cables.

Aug 28, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #21 of 43
Look forward to impressions of the "Night Stalker"(a bit corny on the name) cable. The first IE series refurbs are out; IE6 at this point. We may have a nice combo with inexpensive refurb IE8's and a decent $50 cable. Maybe a little more balanced and controlled bass and more apparent treble/detail would be nice. All for ~$200 total would be killer. Sign me up!  

Aug 28, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #22 of 43
That's the cable from awwan right? That's been out for a while hasn't it? I saw it when I was looking at ebay for other kinds of cable.

I do look forward to your impressions..there hasn't been much talk about aftermarket IE8 cables unlike other earphones with removable cables.

Sep 12, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #24 of 43

Quote:
I just saw and ordered a 'upgrade' cable from ebay. Apparently it's silver plated and braided. It's $50 USD and there are only 4 left. I will update this thread with my impressions when I receive it. http://cgi.ebay.com/Upgrade-Cable-SENNHEISER-IE8-Night-stalker-IE8-/110574283606?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Curious if you receive them?  I'm thinking about buying them pending impressions.

Sep 12, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #25 of 43

Quote:
Does anyone know of a third party cable that works with the Sennheiser IE8 that has a mic and three button controls for the iPhone?

Now we're talking!  Subscribed...

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #26 of 43
I wonder if getting this cable would fix the cutting-off problem and right channel imbalance on my IE8. I'd like to think im gonna get an upgrade cable for sound quality but somehow i think its the only way to fix this problem short of getting another pair of IE8s. LOL!

Sep 12, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #27 of 43
I think this is a work from either Xiaofan or Zephone, both famous cable shops in China. I don't have a good impression of Xiaofan(quality issues, cable breaks.etc), but Zephone is fine. They don't display all their stuff on their webshop, but most products are. And you don't have to choose ie8 cables, just order for any cable with ie plugs, which they can fix (If you can speak Chinese, that is).

the webshop
http://shop33069414.taobao.com/

personally I'm not really into the cable stuff...
If senn gives you that cable, then they want you to use the ie8 with that cable, with their good reasons.
The IEM may sound better

but not like what it should

Sep 21, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #28 of 43
any news on that cable on ebay? im planning to get it. timing is pretty weird though, as soon as i researched cables for my IE8, the right channel is now half-dead. i found out that the wire itself has to be pushed in to make it work. its basically useless now and i have to get another cable. Rip n Burn, have you tried the cables yet? impressions?

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #29 of 43
Yeah, what happened? Those IE refurbs are down to $179. We just need some more info on some cables. 

Dec 29, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #30 of 43
Im getting my refurb ie8 soon, hopefully they are genuine :). As for the cable upgrade, im looking at something with iphone control. You guys know any place that sell ie8i cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back