Now listening to Sennheiser IE8 with Upgraded Cable!!
Apr 12, 2010 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43
Just started listening to these an hour ago. Been listening to Vivaldi- Seven Concertos

Crappy pics I know, just thought I'd share:
Attachment 28526

Attachment 28527

I am not the original owner of the cable. I saw them on a Taiwanese forum; inquired about them and the owner lent them to me to test for a week. Sadly am gonna be too busy this week with midterms to test these out as much as I'd like. I won't do a review but I'll be happy to share my experience with it and answer any questions that you guys may have. I have no clue what the name of the cable is. Since it's unknown am gonna call it Cable X. The good thing is that I have my original IE8 and the one with Cable X so I don't have to be swapping cables ( assuming both IE8 sound the same haha), which if done too frequently can damage the prongs.

Thus far I am noticing that the bass quality is improved (I'll try expound on this later). The original owner I think indicated that the bass quantity is diminished when using Cable X but am not sure if I can attest to that at this point.

Cleaner transients ( Overall the clarity and transparency has improved and the sound is projected more effortlessly. It sounds more airy and less congested.)

Improved focus (When using the original IE8 cable the boundaries/outer edges of instruments are "smoothed over". However, when using the Cable X, the instruments and the whole sonic picture becomes noticeably more focused. Thus, instruments within an ensemble are now perceptibly more distinct and more micro details are evident. One doesn't have to listen too hard to notice this. I am also very sure that instrument separation is better when using Cable X.)

Now let's not get over ourselves haha. It'll be remiss of me to not indicate to you that this is not some messianic cable working miracles. I can very much still tell that this is the IE8 with some sonic qualities noticeably improved and with other aspects being a bit more subtle to notice. I need a bit more time to see if its worth it but so far so good. I'll update this post or the thread with more info later. Please don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any, I'll try my best to answer haha.

Apr 12, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 43
How much is this cable my friend?and who made it?
The two ie8 have the same number of hours?this is intersting if the improvement is big especially if it removes some of the darkness or mid bass hump..

Apr 12, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 43
Uhhhhhh..... thread just subscribed to!

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #5 of 43
Be very careful, cause I noticed, from my experience, that dynamic phones tend to adopt a very personal sound. I mean that every single time I listened to two identical dynamic phones, they sounded differently. So, there are big chances that the differences you hear come down to how the driver have "burned in", or call it as you want.

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The two ie8 have the same number of hours?this is intersting if the improvement is big especially if it removes some of the darkness or mid bass hump..

x2. We need more information @HONEYBOY
wink_face.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 43
These look great, let us know when you find out where to purchase these cables.

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #8 of 43
Ive been looking at a new DAP... Scrap that idea. I want a new cable for my IE8's
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The forum where I got the information from is here:EarZone 耳機地帶論壇 • 檢視主題 - IE8也有å‡ç´šç·šäº†

I can speak Chinese but I am clueless when it comes to reading those characters haha, so my girlfriend translated certain parts for me even though she claimed it was boring!! From what I gathered the cable was ordered from an online store in China called Taobao (I'll double check). The guy said he paid roughly 3000NT for it (if 1USD=32NT then that's about $93.75 so I'd say $100)

I tried searching and came up with these two links:
С·²ÊÖ¹¤ÖÆ×÷ СÃ×ÏßIE8¶ú»úÉý¼¶Ïß ÆßÉ«Ñ¡ Ö§³ÖС·²»áÔ±´òÕÛ-ÌÔ±¦Íø
С·²ÊÖ¹¤ÖÆ×÷ º£ÑóÖ®ÐÄ IE8ϵÁжú»úÉý¼¶Ïߵ߷åÖ®×÷ ¹ó×åÏߣ¡-ÌÔ±¦Íø

Once again I don't understand these characters but perhaps someone around here can help us out.

About the concerns with respect to whether both phones were properly burned in. If this offers any consolation, they both sound identical to me when using either cable.

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive been looking at a new DAP... Scrap that idea. I want a new cable for my IE8's
biggrin.gif

hahaha, I really need to figure out how to multi-quote.

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone is planning on doing a group buy, I'm definitely in!

If it is possible i might be interested aswell! Some more comments toward the cable would be awesome
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #13 of 43
Yes, more comments!

I also wish the plug areas weren't blue and red, but perhaps black with a more subtle L & R indication.

But I'd be in for a group buy....

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #14 of 43
Nevermind... I found a way to order these... Yeahhh
biggrin.gif

*EDIT*

Wow.... Quite expensive to purchase 1 cable. Works out to be around $170AUD not including shipping etc.

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #15 of 43
Did you try putting back the original cable & listening again?....Sometimes surface level metallurgical reactions between plug contact zones with trapped air zones change the sound over time - and when you pull out the cable and put it back, you clear the surface off these layers & maybe that improved the sound.

Double blind test?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back