Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
Jan 12, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #1,172 of 6,459
  Trevor.....this was some of the fastest service ever....I was shocked when I got home from work today and these were here already.  
eek.gif

I will report back with my impressions of the sound, once i have had a chance to listen for awhile.

mine are going to be like this but no splitter and terminated with the XLR Balanced end.  Dying to hear your thoughts over the stock cable.

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #1,173 of 6,459

Trevor.....this was some of the fastest service ever....I was shocked when I got home from work today and these were here already.  
eek.gif

I will report back with my impressions of the sound, once i have had a chance to listen for awhile.

mine are going to be like this but no splitter and terminated with the XLR Balanced end.  Dying to hear your thoughts over the stock cable.

It is a wonderful cable, to say the least.

I am hearing bass that goes much deeper than stock cable. Excellent vocals and instruments sound heavenly.

Trevor....thanks so much, man.

I love it 
smile.gif

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #1,174 of 6,459
Since two of the first oppinions about the Draug (mine and dan.gheorge's one) and up to yours I saw the exact same thing: BASS on HD-800 :)
So how exactly would we explain this if cables make no difference? :p
The Draug is a great cable that shows Trevor's skills. It is actually the greatest sound difference that I've heard in a cable so far, like listening to a different HD-800 revision - a more natural one

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #1,175 of 6,459
Since two of the first oppinions about the Draug (mine and dan.gheorge's one) and up to yours I saw the exact same thing: BASS on HD-800
smily_headphones1.gif

The Draug is a great cable that shows Trevor's skills. It is actually the greatest sound difference that I've heard in a cable so far, like listening to a different HD-800 revision - a more natural one

I can't explain anything....but it is there and it sounds wonderful.

I have to say, I was very skeptical about a headphone cable upgrade...I have never really believed in a cable upgrade to get better sound....just if you need a different length of have microphonics.

I did want a shorter length....but I got much more 
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #1,176 of 6,459
No need to explain, just enjoy :D

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #1,177 of 6,459
Almost forgot... Trevor, what will it take to make you release Draug interconnects? :)

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #1,178 of 6,459
Since two of the first oppinions about the Draug (mine and dan.gheorge's one) and up to yours I saw the exact same thing: BASS on HD-800
smily_headphones1.gif

Well on the V281 thread there was at one point a post that attempted to explain this, it was in the context of trying out the hd800 with the balanced output, and simply put when you create greater conductivity, the voice coil has a faster transient and creates a shorter, snappier decay. So using silver cables which have the most conductivity creates a faster voice coil, and a snappier sound slightly. Copper is slightly less conductive, so the voice coil is slightly slower, and creates slightly longer decay, which in regards to bass response, will give a bit more boom to your bass, and slightly less sharpness to your highs. Since high frequencies require quick movement, and low frequencies require slow movement. Now all this was mentioned in the context of how the V281's balanced output has so much current, and such a low output impedence, that just using that output created some of the same characteristics as using silver cables, but since the amp is neutral-warmish when using single ended, this just makes the balanced output nicely neutral-organic. Also I'm purely paraphrasing what other people who knew what they were talking about have said, so sorry if any of this is off. But I mean it's not rocket science so i figure what was said is pretty much close enough to how it works lol. At least in simple terms.

The other thing to note once you understand this, is that a cable can only modify the sound of the driver within the limits of the driver's capabilities. so the like in the example given, the hd800 driver has a range of quicker transient to slower transient, depending on the current it's being fed. But you wont ever be able to get a cable to make the driver add more bass than it is physically capable of producing based on it's tuning. I guess it would be like tilting your tonal preference slightly higher or lower, within the existing ability of the driver. Thats what a cable can do.

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #1,179 of 6,459
Well on the V281 thread there was at one point a post that attempted to explain this, it was in the context of trying out the hd800 with the balanced output, and simply put when you create greater conductivity, the voice coil has a faster transient and creates a shorter, snappier decay. So using silver cables which have the most conductivity creates a faster voice coil, and a snappier sound slightly. Copper is slightly less conductive, so the voice coil is slightly slower, and creates slightly longer decay, which in regards to bass response, will give a bit more boom to your bass, and slightly less sharpness to your highs. Since high frequencies require quick movement, and low frequencies require slow movement. Now all this was mentioned in the context of how the V281's balanced output has so much current, and such a low output impedence, that just using that output created some of the same characteristics as using silver cables, but since the amp is neutral-warmish when using single ended, this just makes the balanced output nicely neutral-organic. Also I'm purely paraphrasing what other people who knew what they were talking about have said, so sorry if any of this is off. But I mean it's not rocket science so i figure what was said is pretty much close enough to how it works lol. At least in simple terms.

The other thing to note once you understand this, is that a cable can only modify the sound of the driver within the limits of the driver's capabilities. so the like in the example given, the hd800 driver has a range of quicker transient to slower transient, depending on the current it's being fed. But you wont ever be able to get a cable to make the driver add more bass than it is physically capable of producing based on it's tuning. I guess it would be like tilting your tonal preference slightly higher or lower, within the existing ability of the driver. Thats what a cable can do.

In simple terms you have a valid point. But I've heard three copper cables with my HD-800s and they all sounded very different from each other. I also heard a silver cable that sounded a bit like copper. This not mentioning cables that sound worse than the stock ones :) So I guess cable design is a big part of things as well.

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #1,180 of 6,459
im properly the only one who use draug 2 for ciem :frowning2:

it is time to review something about Draug after 2 months of burning and using it.

i have had Skog 3 months before using Draug 2,so i had a chance to a/b them directly.

Sorry Trevor,but Draug 2 is obviously ways ahead of Skog (feated nt6 pro to be specific).

Below are my thoughts about the Draug 2 vs Skog

The most obvious things is Draug 2's soundstage..........so huge,within the first minute i realized it and still now my initial experience stay the same.

instrument separation is much cleaner and clearer.

im getting less mid bass with the Draug 2 (kinda weird for a full copper config),swapping between Draug2 and Skog made Skog's bass sound really "bloated"

Deep bass?????no im not getting much rumble differences swapping between them (nt6 pro boost the low bass abit,may be this is why nothing was added to the low bass)

In total........Draug2 made my nt6 pro's bass tight and accurate.

Draug2 does increase the Ohm by quite abit,i had to turn up the vol by bit to get to normal listening vol.

My question now is : Solv vs Draug2 lol

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #1,181 of 6,459
  im properly the only one who use draug 2 for ciem :frowning2:

it is time to review something about Draug after 2 months of burning and using it.

i have had Skog 3 months before using Draug 2,so i had a chance to a/b them directly.

Sorry Trevor,but Draug 2 is obviously ways ahead of Skog (feated nt6 pro to be specific).

Below are my thoughts about the Draug 2 vs Skog

The most obvious things is Draug 2's soundstage..........so huge,within the first minute i realized it and still now my initial experience stay the same.

instrument separation is much cleaner and clearer.

im getting less mid bass with the Draug 2 (kinda weird for a full copper config),swapping between Draug2 and Skog made Skog's bass sound really "bloated"

Deep bass?????no im not getting much rumble differences swapping between them (nt6 pro boost the low bass abit,may be this is why nothing was added to the low bass)

In total........Draug2 made my nt6 pro's bass tight and accurate.

Draug2 does increase the Ohm by quite abit,i had to turn up the vol by bit to get to normal listening vol.

My question now is : Solv vs Draug2 lol

I was wondering whether the solv can be made for the ciem option officially. Seems like it is much easier than your draug 2
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #1,182 of 6,459
A very nice cable indeed, looks like a work of art.

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #1,183 of 6,459

The Solv X is a neat cable.  IMO Trevor's best.  I think the Solv X is a very resolving, transparent cable, a neutral sound with slam and dynamics.  It is absolutely devine on the LCD-X, making a natural sounding headphone sound even more natural.  Definitely a great pairing, as it is with any headphone I have used it with.

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #1,184 of 6,459
The Solv X sounds like a great cable Cute. I ordered Vanquish cable for my Alpha Prime's and I can not wait for them to arrive lol.
i

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #1,185 of 6,459

I had the Vanquish, but I sold it with my Alpha Dog.  The Solv X sounds fantastic on the Prime, makes a great headphone even better, just so natural sounding!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back