Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
Dec 6, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #5,716 of 6,511
You guys are having a bit of fun with me. If you do not believe in burnin, just try it sometime. Next time you buy a decent IEM, attach it to your rig along with whatever cable that you are going to use. Listen to the new IEM and cable for 15 to 30 minutes. Next connect it to a source that can play music 24/7. After 50-60 hours, listen to the IEM/cable. Sound better? then cook it for another 4 days. Enjoy !
Yeah, Im just playing around a bit, but I do think their is something to it. I know that some of it is adjusting to the new sound, but also, something is happening over time.

Dec 6, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #5,717 of 6,511
You guys are having a bit of fun with me. If you do not believe in burnin, just try it sometime. Next time you buy a decent IEM, attach it to your rig along with whatever cable that you are going to use. Listen to the new IEM and cable for 15 to 30 minutes. Next connect it to a source that can play music 24/7. After 50-60 hours, listen to the IEM/cable. Sound better? then cook it for another 4 days. Enjoy !
I do think burn-in a thing, in certain instances, and yes, I was having a bit of fun with you. :)
Just got done plowing and shoveling a couple feet of snow and was feeling a bit punchy...

Dec 6, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #5,718 of 6,511
Anyone have an idea of what the transparent black Drausk might look like? I’m trying to picture the color black, but transparent, and my brain is having a bit of a hard time haha. I ordered the black Drausk on Black Friday, but now see the option to potentially switch to the transparent color. Just having a hard time picturing it :)

Dec 6, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #5,719 of 6,511
Anyone have an idea of what the transparent black Drausk might look like? I’m trying to picture the color black, but transparent, and my brain is having a bit of a hard time haha. I ordered the black Drausk on Black Friday, but now see the option to potentially switch to the transparent color. Just having a hard time picturing it :)

Best bet is to link up transparent black draug and you will be pretty close.

Not mine, but pretty much what you’re asking about

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nor...pression-thread.606500/page-199#post-13891903

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #5,720 of 6,511
Hahaha my brain almost imploded trying to figure that out initially but what it actually means is that, half the wires will be transparent sleeve, while the other half is black sleeved, so the combination would be a weave of copper and black colour.

Dec 6, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #5,721 of 6,511
Hahaha my brain almost imploded trying to figure that out initially but what it actually means is that, half the wires will be transparent sleeve, while the other half is black sleeved, so the combination would be a weave of copper and black colour.

Transparent black is a color unto itself. The whole thing would be the same. More like a translucent black. Very nice looking, almost brown but with depth.

Dec 6, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #5,722 of 6,511
Transparent black is a color unto itself. The whole thing would be the same. More like a translucent black. Very nice looking, almost brown but with depth.
It’s worth noting that if you enjoy copper as a color/metal, the “regular” clear version is beautiful! 😁

Also worth nothing that it is a rather thick cable (yet very pliable and easy to handle)- I bring it up because that is a LOT of black if you go all-black sleeve. Will look great for some, overly dark for others. Something to consider- if you’re into the “Matrix”-like or more tech/goth look, the black Drausk “rope” could look awesome. Or not.

Dec 6, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #5,723 of 6,511
It’s worth noting that if you enjoy copper as a color/metal, the “regular” clear version is beautiful! 😁

Also worth nothing that it is a rather thick cable (yet very pliable and easy to handle)- I bring it up because that is a LOT of black if you go all-black sleeve. Will look great for some, overly dark for others. Something to consider- if you’re into the “Matrix”-like or more tech/goth look, the black Drausk “rope” could look awesome. Or not.
I'm listening to clear Drausk right now (Final D8000 + Monoprice Liquid Gold X).

Great cable!!!

Dec 6, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #5,724 of 6,511
I'm listening to clear Drausk right now (Final D8000 + Monoprice Liquid Gold X).

Great cable!!!

MP LAu is a great amp. Do you notice a sharp transition on the volume knob at around 11 o clock where volume jumps up quickly? It was one thing that killed it for me. I needed to attenuate the signal going in to keep the dial up above that level.

Dec 6, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #5,725 of 6,511
MP LAu is a great amp. Do you notice a sharp transition on the volume knob at around 11 o clock where volume jumps up quickly? It was one thing that killed it for me. I needed to attenuate the signal going in to keep the dial up above that level.
Oh, yeah. I use strictly low gain (high gain would be impossibly loud w/all my headphones). The dynamics and "presence" of this fine sounding amp jump up a few notches at ~10AM on the dial. This is a design flaw, for sure.

Then again, the way this amp locks in w/the Final D8000 is almost spooky. The sound w/the LGX can be scary/good when it likes the headphone in question (and it doesn't like them all, for whatever reason). It has a real thing for planars. Just switched from the Final D8000 to my other planar, the wonderful ZMF Ori. Damn, this amp lights the Ori up!

Quirks and all, this amp is a total keeper.

Dec 6, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #5,726 of 6,511
Oh, yeah. I use strictly low gain (high gain would be impossibly loud w/all my headphones). The dynamics and "presence" of this fine sounding amp jump up a few notches at ~10AM on the dial. This is a design flaw, for sure.

Then again, the way this amp locks in w/the Final D8000 is almost spooky. The sound w/the LGX can be scary/good when it likes the headphone in question (and it doesn't like them all, for whatever reason). It has a real thing for planars. Just switched from the Final D8000 to my other planar, the wonderful ZMF Ori. Damn, this amp lights the Ori up!

Quirks and all, this amp is a total keeper.

With LCDx it’s apparently incredible (going to be testing this setup soon). I would love to get one, but I’m out of the planars game currently. It did a really good job with HD800, but just lost out a bit to the quicksilver. The popping when switching gains is another annoyance that seems like a design fault.

Dec 6, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #5,727 of 6,511
With LCDx it’s apparently incredible (going to be testing this setup soon). I would love to get one, but I’m out of the planars game currently. It did a really good job with HD800, but just lost out a bit to the quicksilver. The popping when switching gains is another annoyance that seems like a design fault.
Interesting you mention the Quicksilver. That's the one transformer-coupled tube amp that really interests me at this point.

But I really have to sell at least one amp (I have 7). Even for a long-time amp 'ho like me, it gets kind of silly to have this many amps...

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #5,728 of 6,511
What arctic cable have you gone with?
and for which hp?
I ordered a Prisma 2.5mm balanced (to amp) with an 4-pin XLR female. it’s an adapter cable made with Cardas 4x24. It’s in the mail to me now.

I also own several other Cardas 4x24 blue cables assembled by Arctic. Also own Ion and Ion+ headphone cables (3.5mm Focal, and Dan Clark Audio headphone terminations). Been buying from Val back from when he was on ebay. Very dependable seller.

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #5,729 of 6,511
Seems to me that Trevor could hire someone for a few hours a day to handle all the communications so he could focus on building cables. Then the increased cable production would more than offset the expense of the new hire. But I guess he doesn't want the added complexity...
No doubt. He knows he has a problem with organization. On my prior dealings, he would tell me to keep emailing him so I would pop to the top of the email stack. I never followed up with him after this last purchase attempt. Just decided to check with Arctic, and they offered to do a custom adapter build. The adapter I purchased is not on the menu…..

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #5,730 of 6,511

I agree! I actually really wanted the clear Drausk but I was waiting until black friday and now it's out :frowning2: The clear version looked the best to me personally though. I do also agree that the pure black with a cable that large is a bit much (for my tastes).

Also @ksorota that actually looks beautiful! But it just looks like plain "brown" to me, is that actually transparent black?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back