Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
Oct 5, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #5,536 of 6,511
I have been looking around for a new flagship headphone recently (sigh...) and I when came across the Solitaire P I had the exact same thought. I actually wondered if the Oyaide silver barrels that Trevor used would fit into those recessed connectors the Solitaire P has. Figure they probably won't.
Hard to tell if they would fit, however you wouldn't see them anyways, so as long as he has fitting connectors it doesn't matter.

Really a shame that the Solitaire P has such a weird recessed connector, makss it really unnecessary hard to get After market cables.

Oct 5, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #5,537 of 6,511
Hard to tell if they would fit, however you wouldn't see them anyways, so as long as he has fitting connectors it doesn't matter.

Really a shame that the Solitaire P has such a weird recessed connector, makss it really unnecessary hard to get After market cables.
On a related pet peeve: at first blush, one might think that Fostex connectors and Sennheiser 600 series connectors are interchangeable - but NOOOO !!! 😒

Oct 7, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #5,539 of 6,511
IMG_20211007_200910.jpg

Really wanted to share a picture of my SILVERGARDE S4 for Utopia. The color matching with the Ferrum Hypsos and Ferrum OOR combo is really lovely. With a touch of bronze color highlight in both the cable and the equipment. Really a heavenly matching pair.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #5,540 of 6,511
9E65C69B-82D1-46E4-834C-356ECD34C91E.jpeg

My Norne “Hybrid” (name pending) arrived in the mail today and I enjoyed several hours of music through it. This cable is gorgeous. It’s braiding has fine details to it that you would have to see in person to appreciate. Despite Trevor’s recommendation for a lighter weight cylindrical splitter, I opted for the “heavier” Norne emblem cutout splitter in copper/silver. It’s still surprisingly lightweight. It didn’t seem noticeably heavier on my head compared to the the stock Arya cable. The cable is very pliable in what is definitely an improvement over the stiff and janky stock cable.

Another notable improvement is in the sound. Please temper expectations accordingly as the impressions provided come from a cable enthusiast who enjoys improvements over changes in minutiae. The Norne “Hybrid” maintains the musicality of the stock cable but removes a layer of fog, which improves imaging performance. You can hear it particularly in the mids which generally sounds clearer. The excessive energy in the upper mids/lower treble has been exchanged for a sweeter, more euphonic tone. It may not “cure” the Arya’s excess energy in the region but will improve upon it. The cable appears to be predominantly [75%(?)] copper with about 25%(?) silver. Whatever the makeup is, it’s a winning combination.

I only have two criticisms. First, the silver emblem cutout, which I hoped would have a “mirror-finish” to match the silver on the headphone-end terminations and maintain the continuity of the aesthetics. The matte silver I got in the end isn’t bad and doesn’t detract from the overall appearance, so minor quibble. Second criticism is the length of the headphone-end terminations appearing extended below the conductor poles. In a way, it’s something out of Norne’s control and more Eidolic’s. I believe these parts were made to accommodate recessed headphone jacks (or phones with cases) but appear to stick out too long if the jacks are flush, like on the Arya. As a snob for aesthetic continuity, I would’ve preferred to close the gap between the headphone and connectors.

The improvements over the stock cable add only to the overall experience and outweigh the criticisms. I’m very enthusiastic about my first purchase from Norne Audio as this cable has enhanced my enjoyment on one of my favorite headphones. I would absolutely consider Norne Audio again for a future cable upgrade.

@TigzStudio

9E466E4F-314F-419F-AE82-DA953719E5F1.jpeg

Oct 21, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #5,541 of 6,511
Size comparison between Norne Silvergarde S4 8-wire and Meze Silver upgrade cable.

8x19 AWG sleeved vs 8x20 AWG non sleeved.

20211021_001632.jpg

Oct 21, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #5,543 of 6,511
Sound comparison please!!! :gs1000smile::L3000::ksc75smile:
Have to get used to the Elite first and a few other comparisons before that.

So this will have to wait for now

Oct 21, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #5,545 of 6,511
Oct 23, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #5,547 of 6,511
Never know that my Draug 3 headphone cable is so important to me. Recently sent it in for re-termination to Eidolic XLR connectors. And the waiting time in receiving it back was prolonged due to some delays by USPS. During the waiting period, I tried to make do with my existing Moon Audio Blue Dragon HP cable. While it is better than the ZMF stock cable in terms of clarity and dynamics, I find that it lacks the body and warmth vs the stock cable. And importantly, its performance loses to my regular go-to Draug 3 cable in terms of presence, stage. Additionally, it lacks the sweetness of treble, and slam of bass relatively to Draug 3. All are pure copper wires but with different number of wires used, geometry, shielding,etc. Yes, wire accounts for only that 5-10% incremental improvement at best but it does matter.

So glad I have the Draug 3 back in my possession. Beautiful looking cable. Now music is much more enjoyable again with the improvements in acoustics and aesthetics.

Oct 23, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #5,548 of 6,511
Never know that my Draug 3 headphone cable is so important to me. Recently sent it in for re-termination to Eidolic XLR connectors. And the waiting time in receiving it back was prolonged due to some delays by USPS. During the waiting period, I tried to make do with my existing Moon Audio Blue Dragon HP cable. While it is better than the ZMF stock cable in terms of clarity and dynamics, I find that it lacks the body and warmth vs the stock cable. And importantly, its performance loses to my regular go-to Draug 3 cable in terms of presence, stage. Additionally, it lacks the sweetness of treble, and slam of bass relatively to Draug 3. All are pure copper wires but with different number of wires used, geometry, shielding,etc. Yes, wire accounts for only that 5-10% incremental improvement at best but it does matter.

So glad I have the Draug 3 back in my possession. Beautiful looking cable. Now music is much more enjoyable again with the improvements in acoustics and aesthetics.
It does look stunning

Oct 23, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #5,549 of 6,511
Does the sleeve serve any functions acoustically (like shielding, etc)? Or is it just aesthetic preference?
Certainly has some shielding functionality, for details you'd have to ask trevor directly

Oct 23, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #5,550 of 6,511

The best looking cable Norne has ever made and one of the best sounding as well in my opinion. I have the exact same cable color and all, and use it daily and plan to continue using it for as long as I am around. Long live the Draug 3!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back