Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
May 3, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #5,296 of 6,461
I have several of Trevor's cables and they are all excellent. Looking to expand into interconnects.

May 3, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #5,297 of 6,461
The braiding is actually one of the things I'm really appreciating on my Drausk. I think maybe because of it's a 16 wire cable I find the braide pattern pleasantly usual. I mean this cable is like a thick rope but not wily. It's actually extremely flexible and much lighter than the cable I was using that it replaced. I'm still working on impressions but I will say that the Drausk does add more dense texture to the music. There is just more weight. It's really proven to be one of the best upgrades I could have made to my system.

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #5,298 of 6,461
Man..... I don't even know where to start. Let's just say I was once a skeptic. Lol.

To reassure my thoughts I will be having my wife this evening help me do a blind test with my old cable. Well as blind as I can do it lol. I'll have one song that I will use that I'm extremely familiar with that will start from the beginning on every cable swap. I'll be turning my back to my rig and will have her swap cables and pull off and put the cans back on my head not knowing which cable is being used.

Now my thoughts... I started with my old cable. Played 3 songs. Switched to the Solvine and played the same 3 songs. Immediately I could hear a clarity and openess to the music that I haven't heard before. Soundstage has expanded and sounds like there is no barriers. It's extremely holographic and black in the background. I thought the old cable sounded black now I can hear like a haze or hiss? There's a veil in comparison to the Solvine.

The imaging now is bonkers. I mean I can hear everything precisely in it's place and everything in it's place sounds more dimensional and bigger in that same place. It's so hard to describe. Even the most subtle nuances are pristine and extremely clear.

Bass has much more grip and articulation to it. When plugging the old cable in it almost sounds like the bass is distorted when I get to my normal listening level. The impact and slam seems like it smears together somewhat.

The midrange sounds more realistic and with the added clarity I'm able to hear subtle things that I couldn't before or weren't as pronounced. One song in particular is
https://tidal.com/track/68018267

You can literally hear this dude breathing heavy at the beginning and a faint whistling coming from his nose. I can barely make out that detail with the old cable. Frankly I really wasn't sure what the noise was previously lol. The Solvine has everything under a microscope. I can hear everything pristinely.

The treble comes through a lot cleaner, seems airier with more space around notes and sparkle. Old cable sounds dry and distorted in comparison playing at the same volume level.
There's just a breathiness to the mids through the treble that sounds more real and vivid than the old cable.

I don't know folks. This is crazy. I should have made this move a long time ago! After repeated " You gotta be kidding me!" last night , my wife came in and asked me what's wrong . Proceeded to tell her nothings wrong anymore. 😂

Will report back after my "blind" scientific experiment test tonight. Lol.

Enjoy the music folks!
:beerchug:

May 4, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #5,299 of 6,461
I initially bought a new cable just for length and appearance. I didn't buy they whole "cable" thing. I went from copper to silver and the difference was surprising. Really caught me off guard. I do believe your system has to be resolving enough to pick up the difference.

May 4, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #5,300 of 6,461
I initially bought a new cable just for length and appearance. I didn't buy they whole "cable" thing. I went from copper to silver and the difference was surprising. Really caught me off guard. I do believe your system has to be resolving enough to pick up the difference.
Me too, I started out with an entry level cable because the stock Arya cable was too short. I didnt Think about sound improvements.
The cable totally surprised me and I'm glad it opened my mind to this new world

May 4, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #5,301 of 6,461
Very important detail you mentioned there! The system has to be at a certain level to hear the differences, and when it is the differences are very obivious.

May 4, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #5,302 of 6,461
Agreed. I think most who can't hear a difference simply don't have a resolving enough system. Or feel the cost isn't justified and it influences their opinion.

May 5, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #5,303 of 6,461
Well folks.... I stopped at 7 on my super scientific blind test last night. Lol. 7 correct picks in a row and there was no need to continue. The difference between the 2 cables is very easily discernable. Actually it's not even close.
My youngest daughter (16) was able to do the same with 5 correct picks in a row. Her words were that she could tell immediately when the old cable was plugged in because the music sounded like it was smothered, and scratchy 😂

Waaaaay past my bedtime. Alarm goes off for work in 3 hours lol.

Cheers folks!

May 5, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #5,304 of 6,461
Well folks.... I stopped at 7 on my super scientific blind test last night. Lol. 7 correct picks in a row and there was no need to continue. The difference between the 2 cables is very easily discernable. Actually it's not even close.
My youngest daughter (16) was able to do the same with 5 correct picks in a row. Her words were that she could tell immediately when the old cable was plugged in because the music sounded like it was smothered, and scratchy 😂

Waaaaay past my bedtime. Alarm goes off for work in 3 hours lol.

Cheers folks!
Quick note to those who may be interested:
There are two Norne cables in classifieds here, links below. I’d snatch one up, but the plugs don’t fit. 🥲

Please note that I have no affiliation with the sellers- I’m just amazed these are available as Nornes tend to go fast!

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds...cable-for-danclark-mrspeaker-headphones.3354/

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/norne-draug-3sc.2035/

May 8, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #5,306 of 6,461
Just received my Vykari cable for my ZMF cans. First of all, these look magnificent. I cant believe trevor was able to shove all these thick gauge wires inside the connectors. It sounds excellent. It enhances the mids and vocals while also keeping the low end strong and tight. I also have the Silvergrade S4 and the main difference between these two cables are the extra layers in the high and low end that the vykari has to offer.

It was an expensive cable, but well worth the money though, IMO. For me, it suits my VO a little better than the S4. I havent tried this cable with my VC yet. Will post of images of it soon. I highly recommed this cable. Thanks Trevor for excellent communication throughout the whole process.

May 8, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #5,307 of 6,461
Just received my Vykari cable for my ZMF cans. First of all, these look magnificent. I cant believe trevor was able to shove all these thick gauge wires inside the connectors. It sounds excellent. It enhances the mids and vocals while also keeping the low end strong and tight. I also have the Silvergrade S4 and the main difference between these two cables are the extra layers in the high and low end that the vykari has to offer.

It was an expensive cable, but well worth the money though, IMO. For me, it suits my VO a little better than the S4. I havent tried this cable with my VC yet. Will post of images of it soon. I highly recommed this cable. Thanks Trevor for excellent communication throughout the whole process.
Is the S4 that you have the 4-wire or the 8-wire version? I would be interested in how the 8-wire version compares with the Vykari.

May 8, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #5,308 of 6,461
Is the S4 that you have the 4-wire or the 8-wire version? I would be interested in how the 8-wire version compares with the Vykari.
Mines a 4 wire version. For me, the S4 sounds best with my Auteur, while the Vykari sounds good with the VO and VC

May 8, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #5,309 of 6,461

A couple of questions if i may.

So the vykari is (mostly) better because of the extra layers on top and bottom?

is the silvergarde more mids focussed?

is the vykari very well balanced from top to bottom?

i ask that as i am looking for a non silver cable for my utopia and susvara and wondering whether i should be looking at vykari or drausk.

i highly rate trevor’s silver cables (i currently have the silver draug and volsund for copper) but for these headphones i like what the copper is doing more than the silver - a bit more fuller in the bottom half but not overblown at all. That’s where my preferences sit at the moment particularly in my setup for the susvara

i’m thinking maybe drausk for susvara and vykari for utopia

just curious

side note: i still enjoy all of trevor’s cables - silver, hybrid and copper cables - with my hd800 and woo wa2 amp

thanks in advance

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #5,310 of 6,461
A couple of questions if i may.

So the vykari is (mostly) better because of the extra layers on top and bottom?

is the silvergarde more mids focussed?

is the vykari very well balanced from top to bottom?

i ask that as i am looking for a non silver cable for my utopia and susvara and wondering whether i should be looking at vykari or drausk.

i highly rate trevor’s silver cables (i currently have the silver draug and volsund for copper) but for these headphones i like what the copper is doing more than the silver - a bit more fuller in the bottom half but not overblown at all. That’s where my preferences sit at the moment particularly in my setup for the susvara

i’m thinking maybe drausk for susvara and vykari for utopia

just curious

side note: i still enjoy all of trevor’s cables - silver, hybrid and copper cables - with my hd800 and woo wa2 amp

thanks in advance
I believe it all depends on your setup and sound preference.

Since you mentioned the Susvara, i think i can chime in. I have a Hekse which is considered to be the little cousin of the susvara. Hekse doesn't sing well with the S4, mostly because its a mid/treble heavy can. the S4 further enhances the mids and highs which can make the Hekse sound a little to harsh for me. The s4, in my case, doesn't do anything to help boost the bass, which i think the Hekse can use. For that reason, i I use my Drausk for that headphone. The drausk helps bring out the mid bass while also tightening the low end a little. This results in the overall sound signature of the Hekse from treble heavy to mid-focused, while also sounding a tad bit warm. Vykari is the middle ground between these two cables. While i have not fully experimented with the vykari with hekse, i have noticed the the sound signature to be more mid focused while also offering more layers to the high end. To me, that sounds like the perfect combo but i actually prefer the Drausk because it leaves the stock sound signature of the Hekse while only accentuating the low end. The mid and high end of the Hekse is perfect as it, IMO, so i really don't need to touch that spectrum. I was looking for a little more boost in the low end and the drausk delivers exactly that.

The reason i prefer the S4 and the vykari with my zmf can is because i would like those cans to mimic the mids and sparkly highs of the Hekse. The vykari does this specially well with the VO, while the S4 helps my VC (warm closed end can) achieve this. Additionally, the zmf cans are used exclusively with my ELise OTL and i have personally tube rolled that amp to be warm and gooey (KT88 powers with KEN-RAD VT-231 drivers, very warm sounding tubes). Thats why silver/hybrid cables, that can help with the high notes are my preferred cables with ZMF cans and Elise OTL.

I strongly believe for your Susvara and Utopia, you will absolutely love the Drausk. It will give those headphones a new life with some bass boost. Let me know if i can answer anything else for you boss.

Users who are viewing this thread

• djes
Back