Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
Apr 19, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #5,251 of 6,459
Absolutely. You can't go wrong with a Draug 3, and that is my favorite Norne cable with my Aeolus.

Awesome! I'll wait for the Draug 3 to be available again and of course I'll wait for my Aeolus to arrive first :)

Apr 19, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #5,252 of 6,459
Speaking of the Vykari, does anyone know how it distributes its parts between Silver and copper (quantity wise)? The 8-wire S4 is easier to figure out as it has exactly twice the mount of silver as the 4-wire S4. Will the Vykari be a combination of an S4 and a Draug 3, for example? or an S3 and a Drausk? i am not even sure whether one can think of the Vykari in such terms, but I thought I should ask in case there is some easier way to figure out that distribution of its Silver/copper percentages.
It's basically a S4 in silver (18.9awg S4 has 19awg) + 22awg copper.

That means something like roughly 2/3 silver 1/3 copper.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #5,253 of 6,459
It's basically a S4 in silver (18.9awg S4 has 19awg) + 22awg copper.

That means something like roughly 2/3 silver 1/3 copper.

And 3/3 amazing :)

Apr 19, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #5,254 of 6,459
It's a good day! I was just delivered my brand new Drausk, 9 footer, in black.

It's a beauty. The construction and quality is top-notch. It has a real luxurious feel to it and the braiding is meticulously done. It's perfect as far as I'm concerned.

I'll spend the next few days getting used to it and listening. I'll post my impressions later this week. But so far so good. I'm happy!

Thank you to Trevor for creating this beautiful cable. And thank you to my fellow Head-Fiers. It's really a fantastic community here on this thread and on Head-Fi in general. I realize some of you are long time customers of Norne Audio. This being my first purchase, I was able to lean on some of you more experienced owners for advice and opinions. It makes it great to get feedback from others and this is one of the reasons why I enjoy the people here. We are united by the joy of the music. And the gear is a vehicle to that end.

Attachments

• 20210419_125655.jpg
    20210419_125655.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #5,255 of 6,459

It's a beauty. The construction and quality is top-notch. It has a real luxurious feel to it and the braiding is meticulously done. It's perfect as far as I'm concerned.

I'll spend the next few days getting used to it and listening. I'll post my impressions later this week. But so far so good. I'm happy!

Thank you to Trevor for creating this beautiful cable. And thank you to my fellow Head-Fiers. It's really a fantastic community here on this thread and on Head-Fi in general. I realize some of you are long time customers of Norne Audio. This being my first purchase, I was able to lean on some of you more experienced owners for advice and opinions. It makes it great to get feedback from others and this is one of the reasons why I enjoy the people here. We are united by the joy of the music. And the gear is a vehicle to that end.
"We are united by the joy of the music. And the gear is a vehicle to that end." - Amen to that brother!

Congrats on joining the Norne club!

Really nice tube combo your rolling, by the way. I love seeing top tier NOS tubes, and you definitely have some in your amp.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #5,256 of 6,459
"We are united by the joy of the music. And the gear is a vehicle to that end." - Amen to that brother!

Congrats on joining the Norne club!

Really nice tube combo your rolling, by the way. I love seeing top tier NOS tubes, and you definitely have some in your amp.
Man you're on it 😂
Those dark ones look like Brimar CV1988 lol. My favorite 6sn7 of all time.

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #5,258 of 6,459
Man you're on it 😂
Those dark ones look like Brimar CV1988 lol. My favorite 6sn7 of all time.
Very close. Yes they are Brimar, orange print from the 1950's. But they are 6V6GT, which is a tube more commonly found in guitar amps. My ALO Audio Studio Six uses 2- 6V6GT's in the output stage. But they are definitely closely related.
The one on the very end looks like a Mullard metal base GZ34 rectifier.
Close, this particular tube is a Phillips Holland metal base GZ34. It's a little brighter than the Mullard GZ34. I do own a Adzam labeled Mullard made metal base GZ34, but thats really a back up rectifier. But good eyes. Yeah, this amp is fun to roll tubes with and I sort of get obsessive with it. But at the end of the day it's alot of fun. And I love to evaluate the sound.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #5,260 of 6,459
I hear you on the tube rolling lol. Now I'm dabbling in cables lol. This Solvine cable I have coming is my trip down the rabbit hole 😬

Looks like the Solvine has suddenly become very popular, and I wonder why. I have a Solvine 2S with 4-pin XLR Amp and Audeze type mini XLR headphone terminations that I am willing to put in play on the market, since it is hardly getting any use, and I would like to flip it toward a possible Vykari. Despite its not seeing much use, I have been clinging to it without knowing why--perhaps out of some kind of "hoarder's instinct"? At any rate, I have finally mustered the "courage" to part with it, so I wish I had learnt of your search earlier. At any rate,

I am taking the opportunity to announce it now, because it will take me an extra effort to list it in the classifieds, and I am not there yet... It looks like this process of "unclinging" myself from the cable is going to take a few "baby steps" :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :sunglasses:

Apr 19, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #5,261 of 6,459

Herbie's Audio tube dampers on the 3 leftward tubes?

Apr 19, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #5,262 of 6,459
Herbie's Audio tube dampers on the 3 leftward tubes?
Yep! I think that help keep vibrations in check and they may also somewhat act as a heat sink and allow the tubes to further stay cool because they increase the surface area that's in contact with the air.

And I think they look cool! 😎

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #5,263 of 6,459
Looks like the Solvine has suddenly become very popular, and I wonder why. I have a Solvine 2S with 4-pin XLR Amp and Audeze type mini XLR headphone terminations that I am willing to put in play on the market, since it is hardly getting any use, and I would like to flip it toward a possible Vykari. Despite its not seeing much use, I have been clinging to it without knowing why--perhaps out of some kind of "hoarder's instinct"? At any rate, I have finally mustered the "courage" to part with it, so I wish I had learnt of your search earlier. At any rate,

I am taking the opportunity to announce it now, because it will take me an extra effort to list it in the classifieds, and I am not there yet... It looks like this process of "unclinging" myself from the cable is going to take a few "baby steps" :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :sunglasses:
You have a PM bro. :slight_smile:

Apr 20, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #5,264 of 6,459
Very close. Yes they are Brimar, orange print from the 1950's. But they are 6V6GT, which is a tube more commonly found in guitar amps. My ALO Audio Studio Six uses 2- 6V6GT's in the output stage. But they are definitely closely related.

Close, this particular tube is a Phillips Holland metal base GZ34. It's a little brighter than the Mullard GZ34. I do own a Adzam labeled Mullard made metal base GZ34, but thats really a back up rectifier. But good eyes. Yeah, this amp is fun to roll tubes with and I sort of get obsessive with it. But at the end of the day it's alot of fun. And I love to evaluate the sound.
The ECC 33 is definitely no slouch, it is a wonderful tube.
If I may ask, why the tube dampers, are the tubes microphonic ?

Apr 20, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #5,265 of 6,459
Yep! I think that help keep vibrations in check and they may also somewhat act as a heat sink and allow the tubes to further stay cool because they increase the surface area that's in contact with the air.

And I think they look cool! 😎
Sorry, I missed this that you think they look cool......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back