Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
Oct 29, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #3,406 of 6,459
Ended up getting a Volsund and I have to say, it is absolutely amazing. Not just the best looking cable I have ever owned, but it feels and flows so nicely making it a pleasure to use.
20181030_083425.jpg
20181030_083434.jpg

Oct 30, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #3,407 of 6,459
Hi everybody,
I'm currently looking for an upgrade cable for my Focal Utopia. I have been wondering whether some of you might be able to give some insights in how a cable like, for example, the Norne Audio Silvergarde S3 might compare to the top cables like the Danacable Lazuli Reference/Ultra or the DHC Prion4.

Thanks!

Nov 10, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #3,408 of 6,459
I would highly recommend the Draug Silver. I own it along with the Lazuli Reference. It goes toe to toe with it, at less than half the price. The Draug Silver is more transparent and gives a speaker-like presentation to the Utopia. It is a very smooth, resolving cable, which dovetails well with the Utopia.. The Dana Cable has outstanding synergy with the Utopia because it expands the stage and highlights the texture of notes in a tasteful way. However, the Draug Silver also adds texture, moreso to the upper mids and highs and surpasses the Dana in terms of resolution and transparency. It does not add to the stage of the Utopia. Ergonomically and aesthetically, Trevor's cable destroys the Dana. I confess to having a hard time deciding which I prefer.

Attachments

• _DSC2187.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • _DSC2188.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • _DSC2190.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
Nov 10, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #3,413 of 6,459
Hey guys sorry it has been a little while since my posting on here, been super busy.

Just a quick update.
I am working on getting all pending items out in the coming week in order to clear out before the holiday rush. Will be a marathon with a ton of coffee.
As always I appreciate the patience.

Any questions or for status, feel free to email me anytime or use our contact form, reply back should be within hours right now (even on this weekend).
With the new version of gmail it definitely helps me to not miss many emails now as well, I love that new feature you can turn on.
Things are going to be also easier with our new site when it launches, just takes some time to iron out the kinks and testing it.

Thanks Sage, I appreciate your taking the time to post and the support. I am very happy you are enjoying the S3.

Thanks for being such a nice guy on the wait Marko. Appreciate that greatly.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #3,415 of 6,459
Hi everyone,

This is not only my first review, but also my very first post on head-fi. Therefore, I just wanted to provide a little more information before I talk about the cable I got from Norne Audio, because I think it helps understand my personal taste that plays a role in how I perceive the cable:

I started my journey in the audiophile world about 1,5 years ago, and have owned the Audioquest Nightowl, Massdrop TH-X00 Purpleheart, Focal Elear, Shure SE846, Chord Mojo and ALO Audio CDM. For now I have settled with a Massdrop LCX+SDAC, the Audeze LCD2-C and Campfire Audio Cascade. I use the iFi Silencer and Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable to my DAC (from a Windows laptop using Tidal Hifi). I switch those two based on what type of music I’m listening to.

Having all that said, I would like to provide a brief review of the Silvergarde S3 for my Audeze headphones. In terms of other cables, I have owned Cardas (Clear Light) and Moon Audio (various models). What I can say right away is that it was a very easy and obvious decision for me to keep the Silvergarde. If I would have to describe what puts the Silvergarde S3 above its competition (to my ears) in three words, it would be “most soft detail”. The level of detail and micro-detail is incredible, but what blew me away was that it didn’t just have a little more detail than the other cables, but it did so by not sounding bright or fatiguing at all. That was one of my concerns after reading about silver cables and some experiences shared on various forums. Trevor mentioned to me that the larger AWG, in combination of using higher quality silver (next to the design and structure) are what make the difference. I’m not an expert in cable design, but I can say that to my ears there is a noticeable difference compared to the other cables I have listened to. When I listen to Florence + Machine’s “Dog Days Are Over” for example, which can sound very bright in the top end, especially mid-way through the song, the Silvergarde S3 provides more detail than in any other setup (I have listened to). It’s amazing what I can pick up that I haven’t heard before. But it does so without sounding bright or piercing to my ears like some of the other cables did. Now it obviously didn’t change completely what I heard, but if I would have to quantify it (again to my ears, the mileage will vary to your ears and taste), I would say it does make a 15-25% difference. It is an expensive hobby, and I honestly was skeptical about the difference such a cable could make. But to me it does make a noticeable difference. When I listen to M83’s “Outro” for example, I can also hear a little more soundstage and width to the music. This effect is smaller than the detail/brightness impact, but I can hear it (maybe 10%). The cable also looks and feels like of the highest quality, better than any other cable I’ve got my hands on. You can tell it’s manufactured with the highest precision.

In addition to the sound, I also wanted to share my experience with Trevor regarding order process, customer service, and reply times. This is mentioned a few times in this forum, and it honestly made me hesitate a bit whether I should place an order. I can tell you after writing countless emails back and forth with Trevor: It wasn’t an issue at all. I obviously can’t speak for all the other people who have had different experiences, but he provided a much better customer service than any of the other manufacturers I reached out to (and that is not just for cables). He will go out of his way to explain you everything you want to know in the highest level of detail. He will answer every question, no matter how stupid (in my case), and was always very nice and forthcoming. If you don’t get a reply after a day or two, just shoot him another mail and he will get back on the same day.

I hope this review was helpful to anyone who is interested in Norne Audio cables, and I can give something back to the community that has helped so much since I started this journey.

Nov 15, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #3,416 of 6,459
Hi everyone,

This is not only my first review, but also my very first post on head-fi. Therefore, I just wanted to provide a little more information before I talk about the cable I got from Norne Audio, because I think it helps understand my personal taste that plays a role in how I perceive the cable:

I started my journey in the audiophile world about 1,5 years ago, and have owned the Audioquest Nightowl, Massdrop TH-X00 Purpleheart, Focal Elear, Shure SE846, Chord Mojo and ALO Audio CDM. For now I have settled with a Massdrop LCX+SDAC, the Audeze LCD2-C and Campfire Audio Cascade. I use the iFi Silencer and Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable to my DAC (from a Windows laptop using Tidal Hifi). I switch those two based on what type of music I’m listening to.

Having all that said, I would like to provide a brief review of the Silvergarde S3 for my Audeze headphones. In terms of other cables, I have owned Cardas (Clear Light) and Moon Audio (various models). What I can say right away is that it was a very easy and obvious decision for me to keep the Silvergarde. If I would have to describe what puts the Silvergarde S3 above its competition (to my ears) in three words, it would be “most soft detail”. The level of detail and micro-detail is incredible, but what blew me away was that it didn’t just have a little more detail than the other cables, but it did so by not sounding bright or fatiguing at all. That was one of my concerns after reading about silver cables and some experiences shared on various forums. Trevor mentioned to me that the larger AWG, in combination of using higher quality silver (next to the design and structure) are what make the difference. I’m not an expert in cable design, but I can say that to my ears there is a noticeable difference compared to the other cables I have listened to. When I listen to Florence + Machine’s “Dog Days Are Over” for example, which can sound very bright in the top end, especially mid-way through the song, the Silvergarde S3 provides more detail than in any other setup (I have listened to). It’s amazing what I can pick up that I haven’t heard before. But it does so without sounding bright or piercing to my ears like some of the other cables did. Now it obviously didn’t change completely what I heard, but if I would have to quantify it (again to my ears, the mileage will vary to your ears and taste), I would say it does make a 15-25% difference. It is an expensive hobby, and I honestly was skeptical about the difference such a cable could make. But to me it does make a noticeable difference. When I listen to M83’s “Outro” for example, I can also hear a little more soundstage and width to the music. This effect is smaller than the detail/brightness impact, but I can hear it (maybe 10%). The cable also looks and feels like of the highest quality, better than any other cable I’ve got my hands on. You can tell it’s manufactured with the highest precision.

In addition to the sound, I also wanted to share my experience with Trevor regarding order process, customer service, and reply times. This is mentioned a few times in this forum, and it honestly made me hesitate a bit whether I should place an order. I can tell you after writing countless emails back and forth with Trevor: It wasn’t an issue at all. I obviously can’t speak for all the other people who have had different experiences, but he provided a much better customer service than any of the other manufacturers I reached out to (and that is not just for cables). He will go out of his way to explain you everything you want to know in the highest level of detail. He will answer every question, no matter how stupid (in my case), and was always very nice and forthcoming. If you don’t get a reply after a day or two, just shoot him another mail and he will get back on the same day.

I hope this review was helpful to anyone who is interested in Norne Audio cables, and I can give something back to the community that has helped so much since I started this journey.

Great review . I am also on the train waiting for the Silver S3 to arrive. I will be pairing it with Utopia. Really look forward to it. Will be post impression when I recieve it.

Nov 15, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #3,417 of 6,459
Hi everyone,

Nice write-up! Trevor is awesome and a great craftsman. I have several cables from him and they are fantastic in ergonomics, design, and sonic qualities. I prefer his cables over other aftermarket cables I have tried and order from him when I can. I’m currently waiting for my Silvergarde S3.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #3,420 of 6,459
Pics everyone, pics! :)

Trevor was kind enough to send me a picture of my S3 that's coming my way soon. For this special cable I wanted something unique than what I already have and picked out the sleeve combo. I had a fun time picking from the many options available. I had ordered a different splitter, but it's not in stock so Trevor selected a perfect matching one to replace. Looking forward to getting my hands on them and hooking them up for a listen!

sp-2018-s3-01.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back