Non-overwhelming bass for post metal
May 10, 2011 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

krtzer

Head-Fier

I'm ready to actually build a decent desktop setup. I intend to build both of those this summer (at the very least, an amp) before school starts up again and I lose my life to senior design.

I've finally decided that I want something more relaxed for post-rock/post-metal and I really want something that shows the atmosphere and grandeur the band is trying to create. I also want it to sound like the band is playing in front of me. For example I want to fear the fallout when I listen to Through Silver in Blood by Neurosis, I want to feel the waves on Isis's Oceanic. Most importantly though, I do not want these elements to be over pronounced, I want them all to be delicate. I also listen to some faster music like Converge but I think I'll get another set of headphones for them eventually, unless you guys can suggest something fast enough and covers both ends of the spectrums. 

I really like the HD 600s for a number of reasons, also they do no have the bass that I was looking for, but it was pretty close. It was an extremely cohesive and that's was a liked about it. The HD 600 just seems right and while I didn't like it immediately, I can see myself loving this headphone after some time. 

I briefly auditioned the grado line up to the 225i and didn't really like them too much, there were some little problems that bothered me with each one, mostly in the bass area. I found it was too over emphasized and started to take away from my music.

I added the previous sections to preempt the "HD 600 aren't good for rock" and "you should look into grados" comments.

Possible headphones

Denon D2000
Sennheiser HD 600
ATH- AD900
DT 880/600

DIY amp pairings would also help. Headphones should be >$500 but as usual, I'm not bound to this range, it just means some more saving and even more sighing.

Edit:

I've added these to the list for various reasons:

[size=medium] Fischer Audio FA-003[/size]
[size=medium] Fischer Audio FA-011[/size]
[size=medium] Hi-fi man HE-4[/size]
[size=medium] Fostex T50RPs[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] And was wondering if you guys have any opinions on how they match with the metal.[/size]

May 11, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 12
How about this, people who listen to bands like Isis, tool, the dillinger escape plan, and converge, what do you guys listen to and what do you like about the headphone?

May 11, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 12
About 80% of my music is post metal and post rock. I have to say that I've enjoyed every Audio Technica headphone i've had with this kind of music. Currently rockin' ATH-AD2000. Very airy and mid-centric. Gives a well recorded album a pretty damn epic feel in my opinion.

I had some Denon D2000s and some admittedly cheap Sennheisers for awhile and it just wasn't the same. The Denon's bass was just too much for my liking. I like to think of good post-metal being built around the guitar, so any headphone that brings out the best of a guitar will serve you well.

Jun 13, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
About 80% of my music is post metal and post rock. I have to say that I've enjoyed every Audio Technica headphone i've had with this kind of music. Currently rockin' ATH-AD2000. Very airy and mid-centric. Gives a well recorded album a pretty damn epic feel in my opinion.

I had some Denon D2000s and some admittedly cheap Sennheisers for awhile and it just wasn't the same. The Denon's bass was just too much for my liking. I like to think of good post-metal being built around the guitar, so any headphone that brings out the best of a guitar will serve you well.

I had the same problem with the D2000s as you did. I really think too much bass kills it and drowns out some of the finer details in the song. I'd love to get an ATH-AD2000 but the price is stopping me. I could probably get the HD 600 and Grado 225i and be happy for less. I think this is the set I'm looking for but I have no way to hear it to make sure. I could look for a meet, but other than that I don't know.

On another note, I update the original post. 

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 12
Of all the headphone you've mentioned, I own the AD-900 and have only heard the DT880 briefly.

The AD900 has a large soundstage and quite an airy presentation so if atmosphere is what you want, it would be great at it.  It's also quite a fast headphone so its got the speed and energy for Converge and The Dillinger Escape Plan.  Of the bands you mentioned, I listen to all but Neurosis and I think the AT does pretty well with all of them with the only downside being the bass.  It's there, reaches fairly low and of good quality but is pretty far back in the mix.  I would take speed and extension over quantity for the music listen to, especially stuff like Converge but I would understand why it might be a deal breaker for some.  While the "size" of the sound is conveyed well, the light bass does detract from the "richness" somewhat.

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 12
AD900 all the way, eq the bass up a few db and it should be just what your looking for.
unfortunatly I'm becomming more and more obsessed with drone and doom metal where I need overwhelming bass, so mine have got to go.
Seeing as you found the Grados overpowering you will love the AD900, they give about 1/2 the bass of the SR80s I used to have.

Jun 14, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 12
krtzer,  just thought i would add something if you are still reading this thread.

some people might be surprised, but for awhile i have been hooked on the ath w1000x for pretty much all my music and especially metal.  the w1000x's are a little over $500 though, i picked mine up for $560.  i think they have plenty of bass and nice lower end detail, even enough for sunnO))).  what i like best is the mids of course, so much guitar distortion crunch for bands like Coalesce for example, but not like grados which i think can be harsh and sharp after awhile.  the w1000x's are so smooth and thick but they still have bite to it, which is just about right for guitar distortion.  some may think they are a bit slow, but mine are keeping up fine with the more aggressive bands.  if you are into post metal like Isis and Neurosis the w1000x's can really give a nice sense of depth and atmosphere, but not too laid back and airy where you loose that punch and kick in the face for Souls At Zero and Enemy of the Sun.

i even sent my LCD2s back in favor of the w1000x's, wow, quite content now.  just seem more natural and have a really unique and thick sound to them i havent heard before.

Jun 15, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #9 of 12
I typically like the sounds of closed headphones more than open, but I'm looking for a open headphone because closed makes my right ear feel strange. It probably has something to do with the loud music my dad played in his truck for extended period on our college trip. Open headphones my be the remedy to this since they allow for more air flow than a closed can. But I will definitely write down the ATH w1000x on my list for the must tries. I really don't want to go past the 700 range because I think
that it just stops being about the music at that point. I guess I can cross half that list off that I added since they FA-003 and T50RPs are closed, along with the denon.

Brief over view of my movement through the headphone world.
My main headphone right now is the M50 and it does a decent job with most music, it's portable, and it isolates. Then last semester I was in Singapore and had the opportunity to spend a lot of time in Jaben. I listened to many of headphones and settled on the DT 880/250s for a while. I think I liked them because of how analytic they were (engineering student). Then I listened to the Senn HD600s and I didn't like them immediately, but I knew it was the type of sound I'd like over time. That's really the most important quality I look for in anything, if I will like it in the long run. Many headphones I liked immediately, Grados, DT990s, etc but I could see myself getting tired of their sounds over time.

With music the guitars are what hook me but the drums are what keep me. As long as that drummer is something more than just keeping the beat. The first example that comes to mind of what I mean is the drum beat during the verses in Converge's Distance and Meaning is just amazing. 

Anyway, how do the ATH AD 900 compare to the AKG 701s in terms of bass and space? I didn't like the 701s because everything felt very far away from me, not in a good way like the HD600, but in an unnatural way. 

Thanks again guys, this is extremely helpful. 

Jun 15, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #10 of 12
I mostly use HD600 for post-rock/metal. I feel it's a safe road in this regard because they're one of the most neutral headphones around. Unlike the K701 and AD700 (don't know how AD900 compares) Senns have fuller bass while still maintaining the lush mids and smooth treble which to me sound the most balanced. Because of this it's easier to crank up the volume without getting fatigued unlike headphones with more uneven response. I find this particularly useful for bands like Isis, Pelican and Mogwai.

Jun 15, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #11 of 12
What is it with people recommending AD700's and AD900's for anything metal-related? I own the AD700 and can't possibly imagine anyone picking that one for metal even over a cheap Grado SR60. 
normal_smile .gif
 It's too distant, thin, bass-lite and it's artificial soundstage makes a lot of the compressed and closed-in sounding metal productions feel washed out. Not enough focus for fast and impactful music in my opinion. Sounds much better with movies, games, classical, laid back loungy electronic stuff etc. I much prefer the $45 Superlux HD668b over the AD700. 

My favourite cans for stuff like Cult of Luna, Neurosis, Amen Ra and Janvs are the:

Wallet destroying options:
1. LCD2 (Mindblowing. Couldn't take them off. Couldnt take them home either...) 
2. HE-6 (faster than the LCD2, sparklier but not as visceral)

More affordable options:
3. Sennheiser HD580/HD600 (awesome when amped from a decent source. respond VERY well to eq)
4. Sennheiser HD25-1 II (best portable for metal, period)

Wallet friendly options:
5. Grado SR60i
6. Fostex TH-7B (

Making sweet love to your wallet options:
7. Superlux HD668b (imagine a bassier AD700 with a more compact soundstage)
8. Superlux HD662 (imagine a more comfortable yet silly looking HD25-1 II with a bigger soundstage and hotter treble)
9. KSC75 (woohoo!)

Jun 20, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #12 of 12
Are the AD700 and the AD900s sound stage anything like the sounds stage of the AKG 702s? I am not a fan of how far and separated everything sounds. As of right now I'm leaning towards the HD 600/ HD 580. I listened to the HD 580 and wasn't a fan, but this was out of my headphone jack on my computer. I might pick up a used SR60i as well and mod it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back