Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Feb 8, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #6,361 of 6,432
You are not representing the argument properly. There is full possibility he can hear the difference, but with any fantastic claim, there is a need for fantastic evidence. 
Quote:
Music (listening) is subjective and no 2 people are built exactly the same.  So why is it not possible that SandvichDISH can hear a difference?  Maybe his ears are more sensitive than the majority of us?

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #6,362 of 6,432
What makes his claim "fantastic"?
Quote:
You are not representing the argument properly. There is full possibility he can hear the difference, but with any fantastic claim, there is a need for fantastic evidence. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #6,368 of 6,432

Quote:
If you feel I really need to prove my claims you can continue this discussion in the personal messages. Let's get this thread back on topic.

No? What's the point in that? The whole point of a forum is so that others can learn from it. 

Quote:
What makes his claim "fantastic"?

It's not obvious to you? The fact that over 99% of people CAN'T tell the difference. That's a fantastic claim. It's like saying "I can jump one meter straight up in the air". Is it possible? Of course, that height has been achieved countless times by professional athletes that train extremely hard. But they all have to DO IT to be believed. The fact that a very, very, very large percentage of people CAN'T jump one meter straight up means there has to be proof to accompany the claim; it isn't so common that it can be assumed true.

Surely you understand that, now that I've put so much detail into it, right?

(Edit:corrected statistic)

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #6,370 of 6,432
Quote:
No? What's the point in that? The whole point of a forum is so that others can learn from it. 

It's not obvious to you? The fact that over 99% of people CAN'T tell the difference. That's a fantastic claim. It's like saying "I can jump one meter straight up in the air". Is it possible? Of course, that height has been achieved countless times by professional athletes that train extremely hard. But they all have to DO IT to be believed. The fact that a very, very, very large percentage of people CAN'T jump one meter straight up means there has to be proof to accompany the claim; it isn't so common that it can be assumed true.

Surely you understand that, now that I've put so much detail into it, right?

(Edit:corrected statistic)

This thread is about non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones. Not about your whole obsession over the fact that I can't hear the difference between mp3 and wav (or so you say).

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #6,371 of 6,432

Quote:
If you're asking me what my point has been, it's that anyone making an unusual or extraordinary -- but possible -- claim simply needs to prove it through testing.

How is he supposed to prove it? The only thing he can do is say "I've tested it and I can tell the difference" and you absolutely refuse to let him do that.

I mean, Foobar2k even has a function to do it built in.

Care to elaborate? What function are you referring to (aside from the obvious-- A/B'ing a 320k mp3 and a lossless file of the same song from the same source)?

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #6,372 of 6,432
Quote:

How is he supposed to prove it? The only thing he can do is say "I've tested it and I can tell the difference" and you absolutely refuse to let him do that.

Care to elaborate? What function are you referring to (aside from the obvious-- A/B'ing a 320k mp3 and a lossless file of the same song from the same source)?

I've offered a means of doing so - by providing un-labled files.

Foobar has something called an ABX comparator. You can select any two files and do a blind comparison between them, and it will calculate the probability that you were guessing based on number of trials.

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #6,373 of 6,432
wow, home from work now, and this is still going!  

So ...as I can understand- some people think they can hear a difference between 320k mp3 and lossless, and other people think they can't. Can't people just believe what they believe and we let them be? How does it hurt others that these people can experience things that we can't?

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #6,374 of 6,432
Do you really read the posts I make? Your first response is completely contradicted by the presumption that you read the second post you reply to.

You ask "how can he possibly prove it what more do you want?!?!??!?!', and I give a clear answer: ABX testing. That's what more I want. The results from an ABX test. Period.

Please, please, understand.

Edit: Here, I'll make it REAL simple: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt7GyFW4hOI
Quote:

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #6,375 of 6,432
Here's the deal:
-All of this is offtopic as hell and you should stop.
-I'm not going to prove anything to all of you because I don't give a damn what you think, clearly I am apparently 100% wrong anyway since my opinion means gunk in here.
-Start talking about non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones again.

Capiche? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back