Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Feb 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #6,331 of 6,432
Quote:
An opinion is the exact thing I'm opposed to holding. Don't you even understand what I'm saying, or are you just intent on insulting others?

As far as I know I've only constantly stated my experience that to my ear, after listening to mp3 for a long time I realized lossless audio just gave me that extra thrill that makes me truly enjoy music. And you've been constantly saying I'm a liar and / or an idiot. 
Also, why not assess my description of what lossless audio adds to the experience for me? Isn't that what you asked for?

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #6,332 of 6,432
Quote:
How could you possibly know this for fact? You just said CEO, so as unsavory as the idea may be, there could be a business aspect to holding this position in the first place. Even disregarding that, how do you know that one person, apart from all others, is immune to the universal human condition of varying psychological biases?

Kind of like your obvious bias? You need to relax man. Did I say I know this for a fact? I was responding to chewy who said that *no one* who has ever given it a true test with a good encoder has said they could tell a difference. I was pointing out that that simply isn't true because I know of several people who have and have reported noticing a difference and that they are people I trust who have great credentials. You're forcing me to acknowledge that I can't prove this (which I am well aware of and never stated otherwise) while you yourself are implying absolute knowledge on the subject. How could you possibly know this for a fact? Relax and show some respect for differing opinions which, despite your beliefs, in some cases hold just as much weight as yours or more.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #6,333 of 6,432
Quote:
That sentence is fully nonsense. If someone says "factually, the sky has green polkadots and thick black stripes, and because of this, all depictions of the sky should contain them", are we to say "hmm... maybe they're right..." because we don't literally have their same brain and eyes? You're speak in a very undeveloped state of mind regarding perception and scientific rigor, things that are applicable to all aspects of life, not just convenient ones.

Dogs or bats might be able to hear the difference between 320k and  lossless. So can we say from this that there is no difference? Some people can't hear up to 20khz, or down past 50 kz. So do we say that these frequencies don't exist? To these people they don't. To others they do.
At the end of the day people who enjoy lossless files won't really care that you say there is no difference. They experience a difference and have a better time at the same time. If you don't, then stick to listening to 320k.
People who don't believe in Buddha will say their religion is better. Who am I to discount their experience if I don't believe the same thing?

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #6,335 of 6,432
Feb 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #6,336 of 6,432
Quote:
Everyone is susceptible to expectation bias. We're talking people here, not Vulcans.
normal_smile .gif

Agreed. I never stated otherwise. I was responding to the idea that no one that has ever done a true test with a good encoder has reported hearing a difference or that everyone who does a blind test responds by saying they can't tell a difference. You guys are the ones throwing out these absolutes that simply aren't absolutely true in the way you are implying they are.

In the end, we all really agree. We just need to be showing each other more respect and understanding.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #6,337 of 6,432
We are humans, therefore we should be, and I have been, talking about the proven capabilities of human hearing. Why are you continuously deflecting and derailing?
Quote:
Dogs or bats might be able to hear the difference between 320k and  lossless. So can we say from this that there is no difference?

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #6,339 of 6,432
Quote:
Please tell me what my bias is.

Seriously? Why are you so heated about this? You seriously don't realize your bias toward the idea that no one is capable of telling the difference between 320k mp3 and lossless? Really? I mean no disrespect by any of this, I really don't. I respect your views and your experience. Please show that same respect to me and everyone else in here.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #6,340 of 6,432
Quote:

I was responding to chewy who said that *no one* who has ever given it a true test with a good encoder has said they could tell a difference. I was pointing out that that simply isn't true because I know of several people who have and have reported noticing a difference and that they are people I trust who have great credentials.

That's not the same thing as doing a proper test. Not at all.

I'm not trying to say that I have absolute knowledge that literally nobody has ever said it was obvious after testing blindly(while still consistantly guessing correctly), but I'm yet to see it.

Quote:

At the end of the day people who enjoy lossless files won't really care that you say there is no difference. They experience a difference and have a better time at the same time. If you don't, then stick to listening to 320k.

That's the thing, I don't think they would have a better time. I think they could be dismissing things they could be enjoying.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #6,341 of 6,432
Where have I called you a "liar" or "idiot"? Please don't put words in my mouth because you perceive me to be at your same level.

And you just said again, "my experience". I've bolded it for you. Was that experience in a double-blind study? If not, then it's subject to bias. That's the only point I can possibly make, and you still don't understand. 
Quote:
As far as I know I've only constantly stated my experience that to my ear, after listening to mp3 for a long time I realized lossless audio just gave me that extra thrill that makes me truly enjoy music. And you've been constantly saying I'm a liar and / or an idiot. 
Also, why not assess my description of what lossless audio adds to the experience for me? Isn't that what you asked for?

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #6,344 of 6,432
Quote:
Where have I called you a "liar" or "idiot"? Please don't put words in my mouth because you perceive me to be at your same level.

And you just said again, "my experience". I've bolded it for you. Was that experience in a double-blind study? If not, then it's subject to bias. That's the only point I can possibly make, and you still don't understand. 

You haven't directly said I'm a liar or an idiot, but you've been indirectly hinting at that idea. 
But I am going to end this here. This thread has been derailed by your massive rageboner on the idea that I can't hear the difference between mp3 and wav for long enough.
So okay, I can't hear it. If you think that that is fact, then surely it must be. After all, you're so clearly superior in every way. Well done. You win. Have a cookie. 

Bye all.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #6,345 of 6,432
These are very infantile turns of phrase and wordings. You were only asked for information as to why you believe what you believe, then you flew off the handle and regressed to a childish, insulting manner.
Quote:
You haven't directly said I'm a liar or an idiot, but you've been indirectly hinting at that idea. 
But I am going to end this here. This thread has been derailed by your massive rageboner on the idea that I can't hear the difference between mp3 and wav for long enough.
So okay, I can't hear it. If you think that that is fact, then surely it must be. After all, you're so clearly superior in every way. Well done. You win. Have a cookie. 

Bye all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back