Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Oct 23, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #5,087 of 6,432
My dad gasped listening to Pink Floyd's Animals cd on flac through my hd25's :)
Then he went on to buy bose oe2i lol

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #5,088 of 6,432
I just think it gets overhyped to hell. I'm not at all saying its bad, just that its not the end all be all budget headphone and that there are things quite a bit better at the price range.

Before the revision it was quite the killer budget can =/
I guess some of the hype spilled over but since the prices came back down almost to the levels of before the revision it's still not that bad of a budget headphone.

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #5,089 of 6,432
Quote:
the m50 isn't that good anyway. though they cost probably 2-3x less than what bose headphones do.

The M50 is a pretty good headphone for its price range. Sure, it is over hyped, but it's a very good can for introducing iBud users to a world of better audio. Its sound is non-fatiguing, it is rather comfortable, and does well for most genres of music.

I cannot remember the number of times people ask me if I have Bose or Beats headphones when I tell them I love cans. Those 2 are probably the most prominent "high-end" headphone manufacturers around.

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #5,090 of 6,432
Quote:
Bosefag asked to audition my recently repaired M50.

PLUGS IT IN TO HIS HTC REZOUND AND LISTENS TO 128 KBPS RAP.

"These are struggling."

I think I burst a capillary,

Bose aren't bad though and are probably comparable to the M50. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #5,091 of 6,432
I gave my friend my Sony XB90EX some days ago to listen to them. after about a minute of grinning he took one bud out and quoted the film The Dictator: "Megan you were worth every penny..." I burst in laughter :D

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #5,093 of 6,432
Usual reaction is 'you're gadget man' or ' you have too much money'. Thing I never understood is that a lot of these people spend their cash on stuff that bewilders me, however I recognise and respect the fact that everyone has different priorities / tastes / hobbies. I love music and coming from a musical background, I can't imagine my life without decent sounds.

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #5,094 of 6,432
Busy day today...

in the Morning I was walking to my lectures listening to some Einaudi (Le Onde) on my HD25s and a girl walked past and i could hear the metal song she was playing on her ibuds. Reaction: What? 

Afternoon a guy asked me about my HD25s, when he heard the price he said how he'd never pay more than £10 for headphones and his sounded just as good. I proceeded to correct him by letting him listen to the intro to "Bat out of Hell" and well... I won that argument.

Then After fencing this evening I was talking about Regina Spektor to one of my fellow fencers and I let her listen to "All the rowboats" on the HD25s, she commented on how good it sounded. 
(A plus for me: she looked really good wearing the Cans) 
gs1000.gif

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #5,095 of 6,432
I implore you all to check your hearing. Calling the M50 not good? It's one thing to not like them due to popularity, etc, but to just outright ignore the fact that they are very detailed? This IS Head-fi, right?

I'm actually getting RID of my Grados over the M50 because the M50 is more detailed.

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #5,098 of 6,432
Quote:
I implore you all to check your hearing. Calling the M50 not good? It's one thing to not like them due to popularity, etc, but to just outright ignore the fact that they are very detailed? This IS Head-fi, right?

I'm actually getting RID of my Grados over the M50 because the M50 is more detailed.

"I implore you all to check your hearing" <--- The point is??

they are very detailed? <---- Compare to SR60i which is half the price of M50?. Please do explain what this "detail" means??

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #5,099 of 6,432
Quote:

"I implore you all to check your hearing" <--- The point is??

they are very detailed? <---- Compare to SR60i which is half the price of M50?. Please do explain what this "detail" means??

this is really the reason i think the m50 is over-hyped, only the people who don't have a good point of reference for sound quality rave about it.

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #5,100 of 6,432
Quote:
this is really the reason i think the m50 is over-hyped, only the people who don't have a good point of reference for sound quality rave about it.

That's the main issue with this hobby, it's all subjective. My reference is the JH13 so the M50 is very undetailed to me. It's good for its price though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back