Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Oct 20, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #5,056 of 6,432
my cousin got Tinnitus from one real dangerous car crash. almost tore the car in half.

hes all good now though

My english teacher's friend got it in the same way but he still got it. Also I think us audiophiles should educate people on safe listening and use of earplugs because you can prevent tinnitus from listening to music at dangerous volumes but car crashes are hard to prevent.

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #5,057 of 6,432
I let my girlfriend listen to my previous Genelecs, the 8020B's. I played songs like Joe Cockers "Up where we belong", Michael Jacksons "Earth song" and Clint Mansells "Requiem For a Dream" to her. She sat silently and smiled with her eyes closed. I think she cried a little too.

A friend of mine wanted to know what headphones she should buy, so I let her listen to my IE80's. After three seconds she said "Oh my god, I want these! I have to get these!". She wasn't even shocked when I told her how much they costed, even tough they were out of her price range by about 200 euros :p

Aren't there quite a few iems that are on par or better than the ie80 that cost LESS than the ie80s?

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #5,058 of 6,432
Quote:
Aren't there quite a few iems that are on par or better than the ie80 that cost LESS than the ie80s?

There might be, but I haven't heard any.

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #5,059 of 6,432
Quote:
You better marry that girl. I've yet to have much of a reaction to demoing my headphones other than a shrug.

Hah
tongue.gif
After listening to Beats Studios in a store, she said that they sounded quite bad and distant, and she also said that if she had the money, she would buy a set of custom in-ear monitors
biggrin.gif
(I have educated her quite a lot about hi-fi)

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #5,061 of 6,432
That story reminded me of another IEM one, in which I gave my S4i to an acquantance for a day becaues she forgot her iBuds at home. The next day, sure enough, she asks where she can buy them and how much they are, and now she's got a pair.

Oct 21, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #5,063 of 6,432
Had great fun introducing my flatmate to Lana Del Rey's Born to die on my HD25s instead of the £3 buds he uses.

"Oh my god, I can actually hear her!" 

Always satisfying showing people the light.

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #5,064 of 6,432
My girlfriend actually can hear a major difference but shes still not crazy about it. At least she doesn't mind me spending $200 every couple months for new cans :D

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #5,065 of 6,432
When I had an exchange student awhile back, he had a girl over he was sort-of dating (he had to leave in a month, so they hadn't declared anything), and we both showed her our various headphones (sexy, I know). I had helped him buy a Klipsch Reference One and an XB500 (he was a basshead on a budget, and the Reference One was bought for well under MSRP) on top of the style-oriented plastic WeSC he already owned, and at the time I had with me an SR80i, HD600, and FA-003. She couldn't tell a different between any of them except the XB500, which obviously sounded different due to the bass.

That demo temporarily ruined my life.

Oct 21, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #5,066 of 6,432
Quote:
it was an unfair and invalid test anyway, as my friend HAS not yet have really tested my headphones, and i havent tested his either.

and my friend still made the unjust assumption that his Beats are better. when he HASNT had a listen to mine.

Ahem, we all kind of know what the outcome would/should be, but re-read what you've posted.

Oct 21, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #5,067 of 6,432
Quote:
Being myself not an audiophile (yet), you could watch my face while hearing for first time Angel of Massive Attack using my (not as good as yours, not famouse for its bass) sennheiser hd 558.

Sounds like a complete different song.

Mmmmm, a great tune and a favourite "demo" song of mine. Any system that can reproduce the intro bass and not fall apart over the climax is a keeper
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #5,068 of 6,432
Played Knights of Cyadonia to my fiance through my GS1000i. She's a long time fan of that album and was just stunned at all the sounds she'd never heard in the lengthy intro. She pulled them off fairly quickly after the intro though, she was a bit tired at the time and said she was overloaded by the amount of information that was being presented (she's not an analytical type listener). Should probably play her some Massive Attack with my LCD-2s, would probably suit her listening style better.

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #5,069 of 6,432
Played Knights of Cyadonia to my fiance through my GS1000i. She's a long time fan of that album and was just stunned at all the sounds she'd never heard in the lengthy intro. She pulled them off fairly quickly after the intro though, she was a bit tired at the time and said she was overloaded by the amount of information that was being presented (she's not an analytical type listener). Should probably play her some Massive Attack with my LCD-2s, would probably suit her listening style better.

Angel is mind glowingly good on a proper rig.

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #5,070 of 6,432
Quote:
Angel is mind glowingly good on a proper rig.

Indeed. I'm really not that big a fan of the LCD-2s, unlike most here (I guess because I listen predominantly to rock of all flavours and metal predominantly, although I do like a bit of nearly everything), but they retain a place in my collection purely for listening to stuff like Massive Attack or vocal jazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back