Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Oct 20, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #5,041 of 6,432
My sister is an audiophile and she decided to get me a pair of decent headphones( something like ATH-M50) for my birthday present , but when she saw the smile on my face, she asked me if I wanted a whole system.  2 months later.. I don't even have money to buy snack during break time.

My top two friend reactions: 

1. Got my friend to try my HD-25s(with my ipod, cuz his is full of 128kbps music), he stayed silent for a minute or two, then he started to sing very loud with his head swinging back a fourth like crazy ^_^

2. Classmate comes to my house to do homework and tried my PS500s. He ended up saying "these are awesome, have you heard the beats pro though?" My reaction was "yeah, those are like the best, but their too expensive to buy" hehehehehe

Oct 20, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #5,042 of 6,432
my friend who is in NJROTC with me said he bought some generic Beats headphones.

he said he was really disappointed in the sound and asked me where i bought my Grado SR80i's
so i gave him the website address to where i got them (headroom)

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #5,043 of 6,432
Quote:
2. Classmate comes to my house to do homework and tried my PS500s. He ended up saying "these are awesome, have you heard the beats pro though?" My reaction was "yeah, those are like the best, but their too expensive to buy" hehehehehe

Sometimes that's the only way to avoid a pointless argument lol.

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #5,044 of 6,432
Most of the kids in my school keep the terrible apple earbuds. The most annoying thing is that they blast music at such dangerous volume which is bad for them and bad for me because I don't want to listen to whatever they're listening to. People need to know what an iem is.

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #5,045 of 6,432
Quote:
Most of the kids in my school keep the terrible apple earbuds. The most annoying thing is that they blast music at such dangerous volume which is bad for them and bad for me because I don't want to listen to whatever they're listening to. People need to know what an iem is.

They can reach dangerous SPL levels and they sound horrible... i hate them.

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #5,046 of 6,432
Quote:

people also need to know what Tinnitus is too!

if i do start some audio club at my school someday. i know i will be in support of Hearing awareness

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #5,047 of 6,432
When I finished high school I was in a very well-off, upper-middle-clas area full of neighborhoods with gates and pretentious names, and about half the student population owned Beats. It was sickening at first, but it gave me something to work with. When you have a group that buys Beats by the dozens and professes to care about sound, it's much easier to impress them with real good sound than people who have not heard Beats and the like and could continue to believe the hype even after hearing something much better.

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #5,048 of 6,432
Quote:
I've bought an Orpheus set recently and I told two friends about it. They went almost berserk when I said the price I paid for it.

People won't ever understand this hobby.

Lesson learned: I'm not telling anyone about it anymore.

You thought it was a good idea in the first place to tell them the price?

Every one of my friends has become incredulous after finding out about my setup, and it costs the price of an Orpheus in total!

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #5,049 of 6,432
I've bought an Orpheus set recently and I told two friends about it. They went almost berserk when I said the price I paid for it.

People won't ever understand this hobby.

Lesson learned: I'm not telling anyone about it anymore.

I don't even speak about my setup to anyone outside of head-fi. Occasionally I'll say a few things but mostly I just don't bother. People don't understand even if I tell them they spend more money on their cigarettes they still can't understand why I'd "waste" my money.

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #5,050 of 6,432
I let my girlfriend listen to my previous Genelecs, the 8020B's. I played songs like Joe Cockers "Up where we belong", Michael Jacksons "Earth song" and Clint Mansells "Requiem For a Dream" to her. She sat silently and smiled with her eyes closed. I think she cried a little too.

A friend of mine wanted to know what headphones she should buy, so I let her listen to my IE80's. After three seconds she said "Oh my god, I want these! I have to get these!". She wasn't even shocked when I told her how much they costed, even tough they were out of her price range by about 200 euros
tongue.gif

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #5,051 of 6,432
I let my girlfriend listen to my previous Genelecs, the 8020B's. I played songs like Joe Cockers "Up where we belong", Michael Jacksons "Earth song" and Clint Mansells "Requiem For a Dream" to her. She sat silently and smiled with her eyes closed. I think she cried a little too.

A friend of mine wanted to know what headphones she should buy, so I let her listen to my IE80's. After three seconds she said "Oh my god, I want these! I have to get these!". She wasn't even shocked when I told her how much they costed, even tough they were out of her price range by about 200 euros :p

You better marry that girl. I've yet to have much of a reaction to demoing my headphones other than a shrug.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #5,054 of 6,432
Quote:
I got tinnitus not from listening to music at dangerous volume [lowest possible because I got good ears] but from marching band probably and pep rallies and stuff. People gotta use earplugs now.

my cousin got Tinnitus from one real dangerous car crash. almost tore the car in half.

hes all good now though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back