Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Oct 16, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #5,012 of 6,432
Quote:

thats wives for you.  actually, that's people in general.  we all never understand why people would buy some expensive item if we've already got something similar.  remember telling your parents why you needed super mario world when you already had super mario 3?  if only they'd play it!  haha, yea right.

why do i need another guitar when ive already got some?
why do you need new headphones, you already have 3?
why do you need more black pumps?  they look just like the ones you have.

sometimes we just dont appreciate things like others might.

lol. too true. if she comes home with new clothes she expects I should not even blink, but if I even mention new cans she puts on the "I'm patiently waiting for this craziness to end" face.

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #5,013 of 6,432
Quote:
...Alot of people are audiophiles waiting to happen but don't get the opportunity to listen to good equipment.... I asked her why she always uses my phone instead of my pc with my 202s, ..., Some people just need a small taste then they're hooked.

How do you get your loved ones to try your gear? Too often I get a response like "oh I have listened to Bose at Best Buy, so I know what *good* sounds like."

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #5,014 of 6,432
Quote:
over lunch on Friday, one of my co-workers noticed my W4 for the first time and commented " those look nice" and I said "yes, they are"

gone are the days when I would have offer her to  listen. I would have let her if she wanted but I no longer offer because then we have to talk

cost / price and I get the - you are crazy look. Nooooooooooo, not the look!

Lol. the look. yeah we all know the look.
Man, you all have more inquisitive co-workers/friends/relatives than me. That or I look to scary to ask.

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #5,016 of 6,432
mashup, just FYI, there's a "multi" button right next to "quote" so you can get all of that in one post.

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #5,017 of 6,432
mashup, just FYI, there's a "multi" button right next to "quote" so you can get all of that in one post.

The multi button doesn't work for me, but even then, just press quote, write your message, post. Go to the next post you want to comment on, press quote, write your message, COPY THE POST, go and edit your last post, paste. Submit edit.

Tiny bit longer and saves the thread from unnecessary spam.

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #5,018 of 6,432
Quote:
How do you get your loved ones to try your gear? Too often I get a response like "oh I have listened to Bose at Best Buy, so I know what *good* sounds like."

Just tell them to try that one favorite song on a good pair of cans. It almost always works wonders in opening someone's eyes to a world of better-to-great sound.

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #5,019 of 6,432
I have a friend who is into part time production, music recording, podcasting, etc, yet he won't spend more than $30 for a set of headphones. He does however spend $200 on a kitchen knife. 

People pick their vices. No harm in that. Usually.

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #5,021 of 6,432
Replied to mashupAddict

Quote:

Sounds quite familiar..
My dad told once me that he didn't need to listen to my new monitor speakers, for he "heard (from downstairs and through a closed door) that they sound too clean"

As for headphones, I let my ex try my Denon AH-D2000 and her comments were "these are not that bassheavy, compared to my Aurvana X-Fi's."
I was a bit surprised for I literally felt the bass kicking. Turns out it was just her way of dissaproving of the investment, for later that day she told me that the Creative's had nothing bass-, or soundwise on the AH-D2000's after all.

Edit: Reply wasn't working...

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #5,022 of 6,432
Being myself not an audiophile (yet), you could watch my face while hearing for first time Angel of Massive Attack using my (not as good as yours, not famouse for its bass) sennheiser hd 558.

Sounds like a complete different song.

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #5,023 of 6,432
Angel is definitely one of those songs that changes significantly when you step up. Good choice.

A couple of others to check out are James Blake's Limit to Your Love, and Puscifer's Indigo Children (JLE Dub Mix). 

Both of those songs have bass deep enough to not even hear it on iBuds. 

Quote:
Being myself not an audiophile (yet), you could watch my face while hearing for first time Angel of Massive Attack using my (not as good as yours, not famouse for its bass) sennheiser hd 558.

Sounds like a complete different song.

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #5,024 of 6,432
Other thing regarding decent headphones is to the difference between direct from the CDs FLAC or Apple Lossless and MP3s and AACs. Not that you could hear a real diference all the time, but now and then it is possible to catch artifacs that you miss with iBuds i.e. (a lot on the cymbals, and the resonance of drums).

Probably it is placebo effect but the difference sounds real for me.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #5,025 of 6,432
difference in sound between original and lossless quality? or lossless and lossy? cause the first comparision is technically impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back