Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Oct 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #4,981 of 6,432
Quote:
generally as follows - 

wow those are big.

wow you look like you're directing in a plane

wow you spent how much?! (typically by the wife, and not isolated to headphones)

at least you don't have a Sennheiser S1 Digital

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #4,984 of 6,432
Oct 14, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #4,985 of 6,432
Quote:
Got my first set of audiophile headphones last week... The highest "caliber" headphones that hit my ears before this were Klipsch S4's but i dove right in and bought a set of HD 650's. When i first got them i listened to them and thought they sounded good but not a huge difference. But then my ears started to open up and actually listen to the depth available. whole new world. Couldn't believe how narrow my hearing was before. After a 3 hour run at work i hop in my car to head home and realize how ****ty my "premium" fender audio sounds in my Jetta. The headphones have tainted my ears and they crave quality now. There is no turning back now. My JDS C421 should arrive tomorrow 
biggrin.gif
 (my wallet is still recovering from the Senn's or i would have had a crack coming, maybe even a valhalla/Bifrost)

I have the same problem, I cant stand listing to music via my car stereo anymore... I just end up listing to talk/news radio. =X

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #4,987 of 6,432
Quote:
+1

I used to tell my sister that wearing headphones while driving was stupid, but now I'm tempted...

open headphones should be ok right? you can still hear your surroundings

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #4,988 of 6,432
over lunch on Friday, one of my co-workers noticed my W4 for the first time and commented " those look nice" and I said "yes, they are"

gone are the days when I would have offer her to  listen. I would have let her if she wanted but I no longer offer because then we have to talk

cost / price and I get the - you are crazy look. Nooooooooooo, not the look!

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #4,989 of 6,432
Oct 14, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #4,991 of 6,432
Quote:
open headphones should be ok right? you can still hear your surroundings

It's illegal to drive with headphones on in many places (yet perfectly ok to blast the car stereo to window rattling levels...)

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #4,992 of 6,432
My solution for car audio is custom-mounted, small near-range speakers. I just never use my stereo and listen to music using near-fields on the dashboard.

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #4,993 of 6,432
Quote:
I don't really have any audiophile headphones (and when I think audiophile, I think of people who shun headphones all together and have no-compromises high-end analog stereo systems, but I guess the term has evolved over the years).

When I've let people try out the headphones I have/had in my signature their reaction was something like:
Me: "What do you think?"
Them: "Huh? About what?"
Me: "The headphones."
Them: "Uh... They worked fine I guess. Do headphones sound different from each other or something?"

Sorry....... My headphone life is not very romantic

Pretty much the reactions I get.
I played my Dad some Otis Redding tracks on my D2000 one time. He said "sounds nice". But I knew he was saying it to make me feel better.
When I let my friend listen to my HFI 580s he said "nice headphones, I've been thinking about getting some nice headphones like the beats." 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back