Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Oct 18, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #5,027 of 6,432
The best reactions I get are always from my dad, and best of all doesn't criticize me spending money on headphones. Mostly because it's his fault I am an audiophile, somehow I don't think even a HD800 can match his home theatre system composed of Vandersteens and Bower and Wilkins.

One of the best reactions from one of my old freinds was something along the lines of  "Holy **** why did I buy these beats?"

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #5,028 of 6,432
Quote:
The best reactions I get are always from my dad, and best of all doesn't criticize me spending money on headphones. Mostly because it's his fault I am an audiophile, somehow I don't think even a HD800 can match his home theatre system composed of Vandersteens and Bower and Wilkins.

One of the best reactions from one of my old freinds was something along the lines of  "Holy **** why did I buy these beats?"

idk, some people can't appreciate it and it takes time to develop your "palette" for sound. my best friend knew my t1 sounded good, but he didn't know why and kind of gave me the look like "you're crazy" when i told him how much it cost.

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #5,029 of 6,432
so i had a friend do a very unorganized "Taste-Test" between headphones.

Him and I share a interest in headphones, but differenct tastes in what KIND of headphones.

as i had the more cost-friendly (and possibly superior sounding) Grado SR80i
and he had just recently been gloating over his pair of Beats SoloHD's

did a test using another classmate as a unbiased tester.
he really didnt want to make a say in which sounded better. which i do indeed respect

though he did whisper that the Grado's sounded better than the Beats. only the issue between its sound was the lack of Isolation.

though i dont care about either's comfort, looks, or design. all i cared about was its sound.

it was an unfair and invalid test anyway, as my friend HAS not yet have really tested my headphones, and i havent tested his either.
having someone who couldnt have a say in the debate, really just doesnt make the arguement cease.
and my friend still made the unjust assumption that his Beats are better. when he HASNT had a listen to mine.

i do plan on redo'ing testing to put the arguement to a cease and final opinion.
under better circumstances.
Quieter location, proper test subjects (him and I), and better thoughts.
I will wait till his percieved "placebo effect" wears off. then i can make some further analysis to his own decision.

by then, I do plan on recommending much more reasonably priced Cans.
e.x: *The Supposed Beats alternative: Audio Technica M50's

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #5,030 of 6,432
so i was told about having to buy beats for once.

it really gets to my nerves to how many times i get told this.

though i got to one convo; as i said finally to one classmate
CS "Dude you need to get beats"
me "ugh, pssh, i dont wanna waste my money"
CS" whaat? they're the best in the world"
me.. Facepalm

it makes me shudder to start thinking to myself...
are Beats really making a "Headphone Standard" to the public?....
if they are... then they must show a REALLLY bad example to the public..

why must it be the likes of Beats and why not Sennheiser, AKG, or Audio Technica?!
at least Skullcandy, under new managment of Testuro Oishi is really making Skullcandies new headphones sound "better" and look cool. Since Beats seem to be their superior business foe.

are trying to make a decent Standard in style/sound headphones

Oct 19, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #5,031 of 6,432
Quote:
so i had a friend do a very unorganized "Taste-Test" between headphones.

Him and I share a interest in headphones, but differenct tastes in what KIND of headphones.

as i had the more cost-friendly (and possibly superior sounding) Grado SR80i
and he had just recently been gloating over his pair of Beats SoloHD's

did a test using another classmate as a unbiased tester.
he really didnt want to make a say in which sounded better. which i do indeed respect

though he did whisper that the Grado's sounded better than the Beats. only the issue between its sound was the lack of Isolation.

though i dont care about either's comfort, looks, or design. all i cared about was its sound.

it was an unfair and invalid test anyway, as my friend HAS not yet have really tested my headphones, and i havent tested his either.
having someone who couldnt have a say in the debate, really just doesnt make the arguement cease.
and my friend still made the unjust assumption that his Beats are better. when he HASNT had a listen to mine.

i do plan on redo'ing testing to put the arguement to a cease and final opinion.
under better circumstances.
Quieter location, proper test subjects (him and I), and better thoughts.
I will wait till his percieved "placebo effect" wears off. then i can make some further analysis to his own decision.

by then, I do plan on recommending much more reasonably priced Cans.
e.x: *The Supposed Beats alternative: Audio Technica M50's

Is the M50 truly a Beats (Solo/Studio) alternative? Their sound signatures are quite different. I fear the M50s are made out to be more than what they really are. In fact, I would say a more appropriate competitor would be Sony's XB series - loads of bass and not much of anything else. At least Sony doesn't pretend that its XB cans promise to "let your hear what the artist originally intended".

Oct 19, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #5,032 of 6,432
Is the M50 truly a Beats (Solo/Studio) alternative? Their sound signatures are quite different. I fear the M50s are made out to be more than what they really are. In fact, I would say a more appropriate competitor would be Sony's XB series - loads of bass and not much of anything else. At least Sony doesn't pretend that its XB cans promise to "let your hear what the artist originally intended".

+1 it's getting real old seeing the M50's getting suggested for everything when in all honesty they aren't that great of a headphone. For the price, yes, but if people are willing to spen more than 100$, then people need to think up ~.~

M50's are too shrill and they have the same issue with bass that the Shure 940's do, they have a fip in response at around 80-120Hz that kills the bass impact.

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #5,033 of 6,432
The other day, a beats-worshiper at my school heard how much I spent on my westone 2s, and (without ever having listened to them) he told me that they were a waste of money, that they sounded no better than the apple stock earbuds, and that I just bought them to look cool.

Oh the irony... :rolleyes:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #5,034 of 6,432
A roommate  at BYU Idaho:

Roommate: "I really like the ear pollution earphones at the university store. I've had them for two years and they sound way better than Skullcandy earphones."
Me: Dissappointed, but anxious as he obviously differentiates between the two, "Have you listened to any others?"
Roommate: "Just  Skullcandies and the ones that come with the Zune, and the Ear Pollution ones sound better."
Me: "Would you like to try some that have 3 speakers in each ear, and will likely sound as good or better than your car stereo?"
Roommate: Total disinterest.

Oct 19, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #5,035 of 6,432
Quote:

though it is regarded. i wouldnt really be in for Buying them.
as im more of a Grado person who has some interests upgrading to AKG K701's, HiFiMan HE300(orHe400), Sennheiser HD600, or the Grado RS1's

i wouldnt recommend him Grado's since most people seem to seek some isolation. being the fact that he may be listening around a loud environment.
but in terms of style/sound the M50's seem okay.. decent price and all.

i do have the Sony XB500's which does have a better sound signature than Beats. since kids nowadays seek bass.

Oct 19, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #5,036 of 6,432
I bum around in the basement of my comp sci building with a bunch of Math and CS majors. I had some of them listen to my Phiaton MS400's. I now have one friend mad at me because he can't spend that much on headphones (suggested PortaPros), and another who'll probably be buying them from me. Success?

Oct 19, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #5,037 of 6,432
Quote:
I bum around in the basement of my comp sci building with a bunch of Math and CS majors. I had some of them listen to my Phiaton MS400's. I now have one friend mad at me because he can't spend that much on headphones (suggested PortaPros), and another who'll probably be buying them from me. Success?

Just saw some guy with AD700s during my programming lab. Tried them out, chatted with him, and found out that he's bought the DT770s.

He doesn't claim to be an audiophile, and feels that sometimes the people on Head-Fi are too intense. I can understand his sentiment.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #5,038 of 6,432
Quote:

Just saw some guy with AD700s during my programming lab. Tried them out, chatted with him, and found out that he's bought the DT770s.

He doesn't claim to be an audiophile, and feels that sometimes the people on Head-Fi are too intense. I can understand his sentiment.

I can echo your sentiments. In the end sound is purely subjective, and lots of us tend to forget that.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #5,039 of 6,432
I've bought an Orpheus set recently and I told two friends about it. They went almost berserk when I said the price I paid for it.

People won't ever understand this hobby.

Lesson learned: I'm not telling anyone about it anymore.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #5,040 of 6,432
Quote:
I've bought an Orpheus set recently and I told two friends about it. They went almost berserk when I said the price I paid for it.

People won't ever understand this hobby.

Lesson learned: I'm not telling anyone about it anymore.

well with the orpheus.... im not surprised.since the only other option that can compete in price is the Stax sr009 +amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back