Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
May 2, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #1,816 of 6,432
My dad is hard of hearing.  It's a neural degenerative condition and it gets steadily worse.  He hasn't been able to listen to and appreciate music in about 20 years because one ear is deteriorating more than the other.  I'm not just an audio nerd, I'm also an electronics nerd.  I went out and bought a headphone amp kit for him, based on two LM386 amps.  Because it was a reasonably cheap kit, it had dual independent volume knobs, so he was able to get the balance right.  I got him to try out that amp using my SRH750DJ's and my ancient Technics CD player/receiver.  I think he shed a tear.

May 2, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #1,817 of 6,432

Quote:
My dad is hard of hearing.  It's a neural degenerative condition and it gets steadily worse.  He hasn't been able to listen to and appreciate music in about 20 years because one ear is deteriorating more than the other.  I'm not just an audio nerd, I'm also an electronics nerd.  I went out and bought a headphone amp kit for him, based on two LM386 amps.  Because it was a reasonably cheap kit, it had dual independent volume knobs, so he was able to get the balance right.  I got him to try out that amp using my SRH750DJ's and my ancient Technics CD player/receiver.  I think he shed a tear.

that's a heartwarming tale to hear!

May 2, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #1,819 of 6,432
I was talking to 1 of my coworkers the other day, whenever we talk, we usually talk about concerts and music in general. He is a big concert goer and he even talked about buying concert DVD's to watch. Anyways, the other day I asked him how he prefers listening to music, the basic answer was it doesn't matter. I told him I like headphones good ones, because I like listening to good quality sound, nice separation etc.  Asked me how much the headphones are and I told him, his first question was, is it that much louder? Then went on to saying that he would never pay more than $50 for a headphone. So I guess to this guy he equates good sound to louder, the same way some people equate good food to big servings..

May 2, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #1,820 of 6,432

Quote:
I was talking to 1 of my coworkers the other day, whenever we talk, we usually talk about concerts and music in general. He is a big concert goer and he even talked about buying concert DVD's to watch. Anyways, the other day I asked him how he prefers listening to music, the basic answer was it doesn't matter. I told him I like headphones good ones, because I like listening to good quality sound, nice separation etc.  Asked me how much the headphones are and I told him, his first question was, is it that much louder? Then went on to saying that he would never pay more than $50 for a headphone. So I guess to this guy he equates good sound to louder, the same way some people equate good food to big servings..

Some need to taste it to be able to appreciate it for what it is.
I know my friend is deaf to music and everything that's SQ. I tested him out by changing between two drastically different EQ settings, and he didn't notice a single difference. Took a huge turn after he forgot his headphones at home by his parents on his way to the student flat. He bought a pair the next day (the same as I walked around with for a load of time, SS Siberia) and enjoyed his time listening to music again. No change in SQ though according to him.
A month later he's back again at home which inevitable means his hold headphones. The very second he puts them on I get a text with "**** you. I've become an audiophile"

Wanna see his face on the real stuff.

May 2, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #1,822 of 6,432

Quote:
Lol. All you needed were SS Siberias? Those aren't even that great...

Haha I know right. Used those for ... 1-2 years, solid listening on the street, commuting and so on. Can't say I regret any of my time with those despite the geek-level that eroded.
I ordered a pair of HD25-1 II two days ago or something so we'll see how much have changed! Will have my friend listen to those and see what he thinks too.

May 2, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #1,823 of 6,432
I use my portable Stax system to get people into high-end audio, heh. Got reactions like "Holy crap, I didn't know music can sound that smooth" and other comments saying how it sounds nothing like what they've heard before. Oddly enough, I haven't had anybody tell me how they wouldn't consider headphones over $10. BUT, I do get comments like "lol why didn't you get an ipod?," so I keep it in the bag at first to avoid reverse placebo. 
rolleyes.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/439019/pictures-of-your-portable-rig-part-xiv/3105#post_7420873

Let me warn you though. Don't give other people purchase advice. Friends, maybe, but in general and almost all cases, just don't.

Someone I know online wanted better headphones after hearing about my setup and I gave some good value suggestions. He ended up completely disregarding my advice and spent $250 on a AKG k701 to plug directly into his onboard sound, when he realized it wasn't good, he tried to upgrade to $200 Shure in-ear earphones. He gave up and asked me for advice again. After some searching, I linked him to some store pages for T50RP/dac/amp that amounted to around $200, he then said he wasn't going to buy any of it because he doesn't really care about audio. 
confused_face(1).gif

May 2, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #1,824 of 6,432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Metal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Let me warn you though. Don't give other people purchase advice. Friends, maybe, but in general and almost all cases, just don't.

Someone I know online wanted better headphones after hearing about my setup and I gave some good value suggestions. He ended up completely disregarding my advice and spent $250 on a AKG k701 to plug directly into his onboard sound, when he realized it wasn't good, he tried to upgrade to $200 Shure in-ear earphones. He gave up and asked me for advice again. After some searching, I linked him to some store pages for T50RP/dac/amp that amounted to around $200, he then said he wasn't going to buy any of it because he doesn't really care about audio. 
confused_face(1).gif

But that is a case of simply not listening to your advice. And I assume you didn't have the whole situation about his hardware so knowing that would have made it smoother sailing and explaining to him what matters for good audio quality.
But yeah, I know people that asks for advice but still not going for them. I can be tricky myself but that's because I kinda know what I want already. I only need additional feedback for reference. I think it's the same with many more. So no hard feelings really.

May 2, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #1,826 of 6,432

Something you've got to understand about the way my mind works is I get really hooked on something when I'm researching it. I talk about a lot, and that usually involves talking about purchasing it as well. Then I get hooked on something else and talk about buying that.

Basically, it seems like I'm buying a lot more than I actually will. The purchases I make usually are the ones I find myself coming back to over the course of a few months. The ones that really stick in my mind. At this point, the WA 6 is probably my Flavor of the Week. The Peachtree Nova, however, I actually think I will own by year's end.

As far as affording it...money is actually kind of tight for me at the moment. I've had to sell of a few things to help my bank account recover. If I can find a decent job (quite a few apps out atm) I'll have more financial freedom. The other thing I do that allows upgrades is selling the old gear, of course.
Quote:
@morbidtoaster

I'm pretty sure every post I see from you has something about upgrading to something bigger and better. How are you going to afford a peachtree/HE-5/WA6 etc etc?

May 2, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #1,827 of 6,432
It's sad when my PortaPros make people say "man, I need to get a pair of those." If that's impressive, what was acceptable?

May 3, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #1,828 of 6,432
Honestly, If I saw all the Beats on the street replaced with PortaPros, I'd be happy. Its nothing to be ashamed about. They don't look great but they sound great for the asking price. 

Quote:
It's sad when my PortaPros make people say "man, I need to get a pair of those." If that's impressive, what was acceptable?

SO! Yesterday I let my friend listen to some \ATB tracks on my Aiaiai TMA-1s... I couldn't get him to take them off... And considering that he had them on nearly max volume, I think they made him slightly deaf, he seemed to enjoy it though... He never said a word though, my only basis was that he didn't want to give them back....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back