Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
May 3, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #1,831 of 6,432

Quote:

As far as affording it...money is actually kind of tight for me at the moment. I've had to sell of a few things to help my bank account recover. If I can find a decent job (quite a few apps out atm) I'll have more financial freedom.

It sounds like you are unemployed and in debt. I wouldn't buy any more stuff if I were you.
Good luck.
regular_smile%20.gif

May 3, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #1,832 of 6,432
Not in debt at all, I actually avoid credit cards and loans because I hate being in debt. Oh, and I'm looking for a BETTER job. Hours have been dropping little by little at my current one, but I still have it.

Nice try though. Thanks for playing. lol

EDIT: Money is tight because I had an emergency that hit my savings, not because I lost my job.
Quote:
It sounds like you are unemployed and in debt. I wouldn't buy any more stuff if I were you.
Good luck.
regular_smile%20.gif

May 5, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #1,834 of 6,432
Showed two of my friends the virtual haircut track on my hfi-580's last night.  Both of them looked over their shoulders for the door sound in the beginning and just kept a huge grin on for the whole track.  Then I played them some music for them and one guy said that he can never go back to listing to cheap headphones again. 
dt880smile.png

May 5, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #1,835 of 6,432

Quote:
Showed two of my friends the virtual haircut track on my hfi-580's last night.  Both of them looked over their shoulders for the door sound in the beginning and just kept a huge grin on for the whole track.  Then I played them some music for them and one guy said that he can never go back to listing to cheap headphones again. 
dt880smile.png

The virtual haircut is brilliant. I laughed through it as well.

May 5, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #1,836 of 6,432
I've let quite a few people listen over the years and the typical response is pretty much always indifference. Most of the time I just get something like : "ok great, they sound nice and all, but you're still a moron for spending this much on headphones". I've basically just given up. And I can't blame most people... this is a very geekish hobby

May 5, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #1,837 of 6,432
I've discovered that it's almost always necessary to have an "average-grade" set of headphones and souce/music files on hand to compare with a really nice setup.  Most people don't realise how much better good setups are, until they can back-to-back compare them with what an average person would have.

Quote:
I've let quite a few people listen over the years and the typical response is pretty much always indifference. Most of the time I just get something like : "ok great, they sound nice and all, but you're still a moron for spending this much on headphones". I've basically just given up. And I can't blame most people... this is a very geekish hobby

May 5, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #1,838 of 6,432
Well, based on my experience they wouldn't give you the proper amount of attention needed to convince them. Not everyone has the time to sit down and try to appreciate your hobby (I think hobby is a stretch honestly, more like indulgence). Even if they can tell the difference they aren't going to go run out the door and look for something similar. To 99% of people acceptable sound is good enough and anything better is just gravy. They might be impressed by what they hear, but they don't need it like we geeks think we do and would rather spend their money on other things.   

I can say for sure that I enjoyed music just as much, if not more, before I ever got into audiophile stuff. As good as some of the equipment that I've heard sounds, all I can think at times is how much better it can still get, and ultimately be left curious and disappointed. I never had this problem when I didn't know any better. This is especially the case if you frequent head-fi and constantly read impressions that people post about how awesome their $3,000 headphone/amp/source combo sounds

Quote:
I've discovered that it's almost always necessary to have an "average-grade" set of headphones and souce/music files on hand to compare with a really nice setup.  Most people don't realise how much better good setups are, until they can back-to-back compare them with what an average person would have.

May 5, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #1,839 of 6,432
Yeah, but that goes for almost every hobby - is the newest camshaft that came out better than the one I have in my car; is the newest knife steel that's trendy now better than my "Best of Last Month" knife; how much better is the new video card that just came out compared to mine; it goes on and on.  Headphone stuff ranks right about the middle of my "How expensive is it?" hobbies, with cars far and away being the first.  The guy who drives a Honda Civic every day doesn't know what fast is until he gets a ride in a 10-second car; after that, every time he gets into his Civic, he's going to be thinking about that ride.

Quote:
I can say for sure that I enjoyed music just as much, if not more, before I ever got into audiophile stuff. As good as some of the equipment that I've heard sounds, all I can think at times is how much better it can still get, and ultimately be left curious and disappointed. I never had this problem when I didn't know any better. This is especially the case if you frequent head-fi and constantly read impressions that people post about how awesome their $3,000 headphone/amp/source combo sounds

May 5, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #1,840 of 6,432

Quote:

Geeky? you have to be kidding. i joined this site and created a hobby on it because i liked high end audio quality. the thing is though i wish i could go back to being satisfied with $10 headphones again. but then again i will need some sort of hobby to spend my extra money on, and those would be computers and audio related gear. everyone has a geeky hobby weather they want to admit it or not, photographers, computer guys, audiophiles, nature enthusiasts, etc. the list goes on. there is nothing more wrong with liking headphones then is watching star wars (both are equally geeky) heck mmorpg's are the geekiest things i can think of yet so many people enjoy them. so i think that we should stop thinking about something being geeky and just enjoy are hobbies. agreed?

May 5, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #1,841 of 6,432
There is one thing geekier than mmorpgs.... LARPing. Nothing is geekier than gathering with your D&D friends to act out your D&D game in a forest, running around in costumes rolling dice for a move....

Quote:
Geeky? you have to be kidding. i joined this site and created a hobby on it because i liked high end audio quality. the thing is though i wish i could go back to being satisfied with $10 headphones again. but then again i will need some sort of hobby to spend my extra money on, and those would be computers and audio related gear. everyone has a geeky hobby weather they want to admit it or not, photographers, computer guys, audiophiles, nature enthusiasts, etc. the list goes on. there is nothing more wrong with liking headphones then is watching star wars (both are equally geeky) heck mmorpg's are the geekiest things i can think of yet so many people enjoy them. so i think that we should stop thinking about something being geeky and just enjoy are hobbies. agreed?

May 5, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #1,842 of 6,432

Quote:
There is one thing geekier than mmorpgs.... LARPing. Nothing is geekier than gathering with your D&D friends to act out your D&D game in a forest, running around in costumes rolling dice for a move....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_action_role-playing_game
wow that is immensely geeky.

May 5, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #1,843 of 6,432
I don't know what you're so mad about. I didn't say I don't enjoy this hobby because it's geeky, or that I care what anyone else ultimately thinks. But come on, would you ever come up to a girl and be like "hey baby, I collect high-end headphones, some which cost me more than my entire wardrobe ... want to come to my place and take a listen? Wink wink..."

I've been made fun of enough about this hobby to know that I should just keep it to myself. 

Quote:

May 5, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #1,845 of 6,432
I don't know what you're so mad about. I didn't say I don't enjoy this hobby because it's geeky, or that I care what anyone else ultimately thinks. But come on, would you ever come up to a girl and be like "hey baby, I collect high-end headphones, some which cost me more than my entire wardrobe ... want to come to my place and take a listen? Wink wink..."

I've been made fun of enough about this hobby to know that I should just keep it to myself. 

Any of them cost more than my entire wardrobe. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back