Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Feb 8, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #1,171 of 6,432

<

It irks me when people say their iPod earbuds are no different than the more expensive alternatives out there.  Getting acknowledgement of good sound being "good sound" is always a great feeling :]

If you wanna get some really hilarious responses, try a Beyer DT-48 on anyone who uses the iPod earbuds. The earbuds will sound way better to them. And there's no way to explain....

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #1,172 of 6,432

Quote:
PSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, yea it's kind of creepy..but me and a buddy are trying to go to the Portland meet....I think that would be even creepier. 

Wait there's an upcoming Portland meet? When and where? I've always wanted to go to a meet up

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #1,173 of 6,432
Let a couple of friends give my HFI-580's a listen today, and they loved them!

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #1,174 of 6,432
Just convinced two of my friends to get some more high-end headphones.  My one friend listens to a ton of electronica and the like picked up the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro and my other buddy who is a big rock/metal fan grabbed the (infamous) ATH-M50's.  Both of their comments were pretty good.

"The detail is amazing!  There is so much...directionality to the music!" (DJ1 Pro)
"Ya man, that's called soundstage" 

"The bass is lacking presence, but there is a ton of instrument separation and I'm actual able to tell where instruments are coming from!" (ATH-M50)
"Ya the bass is less boomy, especially before burn-in.  See what happens!"

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #1,175 of 6,432
haha they're going to fall into upgradcition though

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #1,178 of 6,432
It's not a surprise, the DT-48 will sound really really poor to anyone expecting only more and more bass as you spend more cash.

Tell them how much you spent after having them listen, they'll laugh at you.

Quote:

If you wanna get some really hilarious responses, try a Beyer DT-48 on anyone who uses the iPod earbuds. The earbuds will sound way better to them. And there's no way to explain....

Feb 10, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #1,179 of 6,432
Convinced my friend to steer away from the Beats/Bose route. He wanted headphones with good looks and bass. He's going to get HD-25s or HFI580s. listens to mostly rap, bass heavy stuff. If there are any objections, speak now or hold your peace.

Feb 10, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #1,180 of 6,432

Quote:
Convinced my friend to steer away from the Beats/Bose route. He wanted headphones with good looks and bass. He's going to get HD-25s or HFI580s. listens to mostly rap, bass heavy stuff. If there are any objections, speak now or hold your peace.

Not quite an objection, but IMO the MS 400 looks absolutely amazing and has a lot of bass, I'd rather have those.

Feb 10, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #1,181 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

Not quite an objection, but IMO the MS 400 looks absolutely amazing and has a lot of bass, I'd rather have those.

Meant to mention those to him, didn't have time unfortunately.

Feb 10, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #1,182 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
PSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, yea it's kind of creepy..but me and a buddy are trying to go to the Portland meet....I think that would be even creepier. 

Wait there's an upcoming Portland meet? When and where? I've always wanted to go to a meet up

on the 23rd I believe look into the Oregon section of the forums.

also took my mom to 32 ohm audio She really liked the DT770's and some new on ears I had never herd of before, the on ears Marshall Major were really really good. $99 very clear sounding, thumpy bass but a little lean, and the mids were very prevalent. The build was quite nice and they folded to be some of the most portable on ears I have ever seen....also I still hate the AIAIAI TMA-1 and the iGraods made me cry, they clamped crazy hard and were almost as muffles at the TMA-1's.

Feb 10, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #1,183 of 6,432

Quote:

yessss

Feb 10, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #1,184 of 6,432
Anyone here tried the V Moda Crossfade? I've heard they have pretty much the most bass under $200. I'm not an audiophile so I don't really care if they're completely accurate. I just want some fun-sounding, casual headphones for hip-hop/rock.

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #1,185 of 6,432

Quote:
Anyone here tried the V Moda Crossfade? I've heard they have pretty much the most bass under $200. I'm not an audiophile so I don't really care if they're completely accurate. I just want some fun-sounding, casual headphones for hip-hop/rock.

ehhhh I'm not sure about that. Look into the Sony XB500-700 or if you want a well rounded pair for under 200 Ultrasone HFI-580 On a side note, I'm not buying the D2000, Tried them today just way way way to similar sounding ton the 580's they just have a smoother presentation and I don't think it warrants the price. *my opinion*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back