Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Feb 11, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #1,201 of 6,432
Slapshot: take a look at this.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536880/review-fashion-vs-function-phiaton-ms400-b-w-p5-monster-beats-solo-v-moda-crossfade-sony-xb700-hd25-1#post_7238860

Feb 11, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #1,202 of 6,432
Thanks for the link, I've been there and have been some big discussions over there. I'm just not an audiophile and all I want is big bass and fun sound. From what some other members have told me though, the Crossfades are actually MORE fun with more rumble to the bass then the MS400.

Feb 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #1,203 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
I think it's interesting to note how much space Apple now dedicates to headphones as accessories in their stores.  It's essentially replace half their software.  It's mostly Beats and junk, but there are Etymotics and nice Shure IEMs, too. 

Trying out IEMs? That seems... kinda gross tbh...

Also, their software is all moving away from physical media to downloads, as they seem to be pushing out and preferring. 

You touch much more dirty things during the day (e.g. your keyboard has more bacteria than a toilet seat). Earwax isn't really that dirty tbh. The perception of disgust...mmmm.. some great studies in that.

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #1,204 of 6,432
As a biochemist...don't even get me started on your kitchen sponge......

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think it's interesting to note how much space Apple now dedicates to headphones as accessories in their stores.  It's essentially replace half their software.  It's mostly Beats and junk, but there are Etymotics and nice Shure IEMs, too. 

Also, their software is all moving away from physical media to downloads, as they seem to be pushing out and preferring. 

You touch much more dirty things during the day (e.g. your keyboard has more bacteria than a toilet seat). Earwax isn't really that dirty tbh. The perception of disgust...mmmm.. some great studies in that.

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #1,206 of 6,432
As a member of the public...don't even get me started on your urinal cakes......

Quote:
As a biochemist...don't even get me started on your kitchen sponge......

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #1,207 of 6,432

My apple store only have the Beats Pro and P5 since they expanded the MacBook air/pro displays.

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #1,208 of 6,432
A friend of mine got some bose in-ears a while ago. I tried to change his mind with the lljoker-thread, but he decided to go Bose. He got a decent speaker setup recently (a pioneer amp and wharfdale diamonds), after he compared them to his parent´s bose setup downstairs and decided to never buy Bose products again. It´s funny to see people slowly turn into audiophiles after they have been introduced to proper sound (the guy tried my HD25´s a year ago). The only non-audiophile that comments on my setup regularly is my dad (because I never wear cans to school), his reactions are positive, but he usually loses interest after a minute
redface.gif

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #1,210 of 6,432

Quote:
Anyone here tried the V Moda Crossfade? I've heard they have pretty much the most bass under $200. I'm not an audiophile so I don't really care if they're completely accurate. I just want some fun-sounding, casual headphones for hip-hop/rock.

A/B'd them with my HFI-580's. Nope. My 580's have more, and crossfade's have a... darker sound? I'm sure how to describe it..

Feb 11, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #1,212 of 6,432
Since I use the kitchen sponge to clean my Beats, the sponge is definitely worse.  
deadhorse.gif

Next time I stop by the UTC Apple store, I'll snap a pic of the headphone rack.  It's floor to ceiling and about 6, maybe 8 feet wide.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 11, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #1,213 of 6,432

Since I use the kitchen sponge to clean my Beats, the sponge is definitely worse.  

deadhorse.gif

Next time I stop by the UTC Apple store, I'll snap a pic of the headphone rack.  It's floor to ceiling and about 6, maybe 8 feet wide.  

Please do =]

Feb 11, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #1,214 of 6,432
Everyone gets mad at me because I spend over $15 on headphones. I just roll my eyes let them listen a time or 2, then they start to understand why I spend so much. 
dt880smile.png

:p ~90% of why I bought my current ATH-M50s were because I was tired of a stream of cheap 12usd headphones that broke constantly.

The remaining 10% was because I saw a friend's XD-53's. I never saw headphones that could fold in like that, and I had to get something similar :p Only later did I know they were called XD-53... and they still seemed too expensive for me when I found out.

I didn't think much of my M50s, until I got a ZuneHD and decided to rerip my collection from 192kbps (default iTunes settings from 2008 or so, yay) to WMA Lossless (though the ZuneHD is max @ 700k? or so?), and the difference was enough to convince me to buy a uDAC2. I got it last week, and have been enjoying every moment of it since :). Even in games (Starcraft 2), I notice (?) more of the sounds being generated. At this point, I cannot stand my Creative Fatality Mk2 anymore, despite the convinient microphone on it's side :frowning2:

Well, that's my story, at least. All within the past 6 months? 1 month of real usage :)

Feb 11, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #1,215 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
Everyone gets mad at me because I spend over $15 on headphones. I just roll my eyes let them listen a time or 2, then they start to understand why I spend so much. 
dt880smile.png

tongue.gif
~90% of why I bought my current ATH-M50s were because I was tired of a stream of cheap 12usd headphones that broke constantly.

The remaining 10% was because I saw a friend's XD-53's. I never saw headphones that could fold in like that, and I had to get something similar
tongue.gif
Only later did I know they were called XD-53... and they still seemed too expensive for me when I found out.

I didn't think much of my M50s, until I got a ZuneHD and decided to rerip my collection from 192kbps (default iTunes settings from 2008 or so, yay) to WMA Lossless (though the ZuneHD is max @ 700k? or so?), and the difference was enough to convince me to buy a uDAC2. I got it last week, and have been enjoying every moment of it since
smily_headphones1.gif
. Even in games (Starcraft 2), I notice (?) more of the sounds being generated. At this point, I cannot stand my Creative Fatality Mk2 anymore, despite the convinient microphone on it's side
frown.gif

Well, that's my story, at least. All within the past 6 months? 1 month of real usage
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah, I have the Turtle Beach X11 headset and it lacks for music, although I don't mind it for gaming. The comfort and mic quality are very decent (for my standards) though, and honestly, when you have 7 friends talking to you are 16kbps voicechats and some cheesy sounding zombie sounds (Me and my friends have a 4v4 L4D2 funfunfun every weekend), and when you have to shotgun a hundred zombies in thirty seconds, sound quality takes a back seat :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back