Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Feb 13, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #1,231 of 6,432
Beats and Bose are all the rage right now where I live (Mexico). I began to grow tired of people in general asking my why if I like music so much, I don't own them. So I came up with a simple way to make them understand. I ask them:
- hey, which is your favorite restaurant?
- I love......(give their prefference)
- but isn't KFC the best restaurant ever??
- What are you saying???
- well, you see Bose and Beats is same thing, its KFC, you get food, but no quality.... my mdr-7506 and my Grados are a that much better, like a chef's place, and mine are not even top of the line.
- hand me those headphones I don't screw*** believe you.
(several minutes later)
- dude where did you buy these?
-man what did I tell you
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #1,232 of 6,432
yea...all the responses i get are "NOT ENOUGH BASSSSSESSSSSS!!!!!!" My people think because the HFI-580 are my bass headphones that it should sound like i have a subwoofer strapped to each side of my head and they shouldn't be able to hear anything else but bass.

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #1,233 of 6,432

Quote:
yea...all the responses i get are "NOT ENOUGH BASSSSSESSSSSS!!!!!!" My people think because the HFI-580 are my bass headphones that it should sound like i have a subwoofer strapped to each side of my head and they shouldn't be able to hear anything else but bass.

I get the same reactions with my MS400s.  I take my meizu from them for a second and put on the bass boost EQ with the bass boost setting all they way up.  Usually they think that my two lil wayne songs sound so much better.

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #1,234 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

Many people in Head-Fi use 320kbps MP3
smily_headphones1.gif

Which is incredibly inferior to LAMEs V0 preset.

lol? Both are exactly the same on a spectrogram. really. If you want inferior, mp3 as a whole is inferior to AAC except for decoding time, but it's overridden by the extra bitrate required for the same quality for mp3 (e.g. AAC @ ~192kbps is better qualtiy than VBR -V0 / 320kbps CBR mp3). mp3 is only useful these days for compatibility reasons. That's it. It's vastly inferior to AAC.

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #1,235 of 6,432
I saved a friend by selling him my DT990/600s. I thought he'd go for the bass, because at the time, I had just gotten a brand-new pair of DT770/600s, but nope - he went straight for the open cans after I had him demo both of 'em (I wasn't going to sell the 770s in first place, so that may have influenced him a bit).

I love to show off my 770s to friends at a college club in I'm (Touhou Teatime - it's pretty self-explanatory: we sit around, play Touhou games, and drink tea). I've always got my 770s and Practical Devices XM5, and I love sharing the sound, so... why not? One guy who listened to my stuff upgraded from his Senns (200 something, I don't remember off the top of my head) to DT770/600s. (I warned him that he'd need a good amp to get the same sound as what i''ve got, though.)

Some other friends have gotten to know me as an audiophile... one guy asked me for audio recommendations for gaming; I told him "AD700s. So, so, so lovely for directional audio, even if they're bassless. Plus, they're only like, $80 on Amazon right now." He went and bought Skullcandies. ;~;

Another friend also asked me for general listening recommendations at sub-$100. I recommended mostly AT cans (I only recommend what I've actually listened to, hence mostly AT and BeyerDynamic). He hasn't made a purchase yet, as far as I can tell...

-- Griffinhart

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #1,236 of 6,432

Quote:
I saved a friend by selling him my DT990/600s. I thought he'd go for the bass, because at the time, I had just gotten a brand-new pair of DT770/600s, but nope - he went straight for the open cans after I had him demo both of 'em (I wasn't going to sell the 770s in first place, so that may have influenced him a bit).

I love to show off my 770s to friends at a college club in I'm (Touhou Teatime - it's pretty self-explanatory: we sit around, play Touhou games, and drink tea). I've always got my 770s and Practical Devices XM5, and I love sharing the sound, so... why not? One guy who listened to my stuff upgraded from his Senns (200 something, I don't remember off the top of my head) to DT770/600s. (I warned him that he'd need a good amp to get the same sound as what i''ve got, though.)

Some other friends have gotten to know me as an audiophile... one guy asked me for audio recommendations for gaming; I told him "AD700s. So, so, so lovely for directional audio, even if they're bassless. Plus, they're only like, $80 on Amazon right now." He went and bought Skullcandies. ;~;

Another friend also asked me for general listening recommendations at sub-$100. I recommended mostly AT cans (I only recommend what I've actually listened to, hence mostly AT and BeyerDynamic). He hasn't made a purchase yet, as far as I can tell...

-- Griffinhart

That club seems awesome. And I know what you mean... Most of my friends know me as that too... however luckily most of my friends listen to me and I have slowly been getting them away from Skullcandy and Beats, though the Beats are slightly harder to get people to stray from.

Feb 14, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #1,240 of 6,432
today i took my M50 to school, my friends were all like "WOOOW" after listen to them. Luck most of them don't know the beats and bose (although some have skullcandies).
But the usual reply is "H**LY S*IT YOU PAID 100$ FOR A HEADPHONE"

Feb 14, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #1,241 of 6,432
which is straight up ignorant. Guess how much the apple IEM's cost? Like fifty fricking bucks. And they ALWAYS break in a month or two. Better to spend a hundred bucks on something that has a life expectancy longer then a month.

Feb 14, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #1,243 of 6,432

Quote:
lol? Both are exactly the same on a spectrogram. really. If you want inferior, mp3 as a whole is inferior to AAC except for decoding time, but it's overridden by the extra bitrate required for the same quality for mp3 (e.g. AAC @ ~192kbps is better qualtiy than VBR -V0 / 320kbps CBR mp3). mp3 is only useful these days for compatibility reasons. That's it. It's vastly inferior to AAC.

This statement is 100% incorrect. AAC does not perform any better than LAME mp3.

Feb 14, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #1,245 of 6,432

Quote:

If you believe LAME V0 has the same sound quality as CB320kbps, then the LAME is superior by virtue of smaller file size. It really irks me to find music encoded in MP3 at 320kbps. If I wanted to have best sound quality, then I'd use something lossless like TAK. Also though AAC is technically superior to MP3, at this time, LAME MP3 can still rival current AAC codecs in sound quality at same bitrates.

On a more related note, someone was unable to perceive the difference between AD700 and HD202.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back