Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Feb 28, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #1,411 of 6,432
>Use of greentext on any normal forum.
why.jpg

Was talking to a friend about why he wouldn't spend $15-$20 to upgrade from his crappy earbuds to a pair of KSC-75s, in the end he told me he didn't care about SQ since he could just use his head to "imagine" the detail in the music while he was listening to it. I really didn't know how to respond so I just changed the subject...
Ironically he was the one who introduced me to headphones with decent SQ since he sold me his old pair of MDR-7506s.

Feb 28, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #1,413 of 6,432
Don't the 7506's cost more than a KSC 75?

Yeah, I don't even know why he had them and I didn't bother asking him about it. Found 'em just sitting on his desk one day and I tried 'em on, fell in love so I asked him if I could buy 'em for $60.

Feb 28, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #1,414 of 6,432
This conversation happened today while I was wearing my M50s out
Classmate: Hey, nice headphones
Me: Thanks.
Him: How much did they cost?
Me: $150.
Him: Jesus!  Mine cost $15 and they sound just fine
Me: Cool.
Him: Can I see yours?
Me: Sure.
Him: Wow, these are big. Nice.
Me: Thanks.
And then he handed them back to me and class started. He didn't try them on, though

Also, could we please keep the >implications on /v/ where they belong? Thanks

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #1,415 of 6,432
audiophile-grade speaker prices are barely acceptable to audiophiles, basically, if you do not make more than 70k a year (or save up your entire life) you will never own an audiophile speaker rig (as good as these headphones, barring extreme circumstances). 

for $2000 you can get a 1000$ pair of headphones a 500$ dac and a 500$ amp (or a 1000 dollar DAC/amp) which would place you at high-end status. $2000 is not that much in the scheme of life, you could probably save that up over a couple of years even if you are relatively low income (and did not encounter serious medical emergencies etc).

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #1,416 of 6,432
I spent 2k on my speakers, and they retailed for 16k, worth it (I have already determined their replacements, Wilson Duettes 9k currently), but I had a few pairs of stax, loved em, but If I'm going to be tethered I might as well get speakers, you can make an EPIC bookshelf/ desktop system for around what you are mentioning I'm building a desktop system right now.... On topic, Most of the people I know think I'm insane for spending what I did for my HD800's but they are comfortable with the $150 I spend on my CD2000's, so maybe there is hope for them...

Mar 1, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #1,417 of 6,432

On campus!? Uh, aren't all schools closed due to the quake? Glad you're fine anyway. Anyway, for you Americans, Dick Smith is like the Best Buy of NZ (the Mom's and Pop's electronics store and the same infamy)

I told you I went to Otago University, haha. Also I saw the first decent pair of headphones on Otago University Campus (HD25, not sure on the exact model), I know this is on the wrong forum but hey I'll merge two post into 1.

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #1,418 of 6,432

Quote:
OMG, this just occured.

I was walking to the library on campus and I saw one of my mates from last year. I saw that he was bose headphones (not sure of the type, I checked the apple website but they didn't look like any on there), I didn't make any remarks as I did not want to offend his purchase. Then he saw that I had my stock earbuds in (I don't like to use IEM's when on the move) and comented on how the had bad SQ and hurt his ears when he had them. So I stopped at a nearby table and took out my SE535's and showed him. His reply "oh, there those $100 headphones from Dick Smith" I gave up and we just went our seperate ways.

I'm jellen from your collection if it's any consolation

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #1,419 of 6,432
So I just got back from grabbing lunch with one of my high school buddies. Towards the end of our meal he asked me, "So what are some good headphones from about $100-$200?"

My eyes lit up like a kid's on Christmas morning.

...and then I told him to get Beats...jk.

Seriously though, I'm pretty excited to help a friend out on his first serious pair of 'phones. I don't even know where to start! Prob' M50s.

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #1,420 of 6,432

Quote:
So I just got back from grabbing lunch with one of my high school buddies. Towards the end of our meal he asked me, "So what are some good headphones from about $100-$200?"

My eyes lit up like a kid's on Christmas morning.

...and then I told him to get Beats...jk.

Seriously though, I'm pretty excited to help a friend out on his first serious pair of 'phones. I don't even know where to start! Prob' M50s.

hell yes! an audiophile is born every day.

Mar 1, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #1,421 of 6,432
Earlier this week me and a few of my friends from college were grabbing a bite to eat at a local sub shop. I had my ultrasone hfi-2400's folded away in my bag and they caught the eye of one of my friends. He asked me what they were and I told him about them, then he asked me how much they cost and I told him roughly $300. Needless to say he was shocked that anybody would ever spend that much money on headphones.

So I asked him what his favorite artist was, he told me audioslave. Perfect I thought as I had every audioslave cd ripped at 320kbps on my ipod, and I knew that they would sound great on the ultrasones. So I put on "set it off" and told him to give them a listen. I had my portable FiiO e7 with me cranked up to near max volume, and when the guitar hit his eyes widened and he said "I have been transported to a world of awesome". I had a good laugh at that and after the song I had to snap him out of his little fantasy to give me my headphones back 
dt880smile.png

Mar 1, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #1,423 of 6,432

Quote:
I lol'd when I showed my sister my dt770s. She was amazed at how much they cost. Then she said "I could have bought so much... umm.. SHOES with that money!".
>_>

where is the "look of disapproval" when you need it

Mar 1, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #1,425 of 6,432
a co worker tried my HD25 yesterday, he tired like 20 song out of my zune.
he has some sony noise canceling for around 110$ and said that the senns beated his sony in about everything but comfort.he was truly impressed by the sound quality and he was also half drunk. last time he said was : "awesome headset man, but i think the bose should be better because everybody say so" 
angry_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back