Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Feb 27, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #1,396 of 6,432
Had a friend and family over today.  He heard the SR225 and said they sounded clear.  Let him then try ED8 LE and he loved them.  He has a pair of PX100 that i told him to get when he had little money.  I said next maybe Senn 25 or AT M50 when he asked about Bose.  Told him it was expensive marketing.  

His daughter, 16 years old, was there and wants Dr. Dre Beats.  Let her hear the Ed8 she couldn't tell the difference but maybe has only heard a friends Beats briefly.  Basically said that the Beats are a status symbol at her high school and they look good so she wants a pair.  Showed her a pic of the M50's and she said they looked ugly. 

In the end I told them to go to the DXC store and audition some different ones but i am sure that she will just get Beats to wear around her neck and occasionally listen to some low bit rate cr@p any way.

Feb 27, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #1,399 of 6,432

Quote:
OMG, this just occured.

I was walking to the library on campus and I saw one of my mates from last year. I saw that he was bose headphones (not sure of the type, I checked the apple website but they didn't look like any on there), I didn't make any remarks as I did not want to offend his purchase. Then he saw that I had my stock earbuds in (I don't like to use IEM's when on the move) and comented on how the had bad SQ and hurt his ears when he had them. So I stopped at a nearby table and took out my SE535's and showed him. His reply "oh, there those $100 headphones from Dick Smith" I gave up and we just went our seperate ways.

You know, he might have been trying to give well-meaning advice when he saw your stock buds. I think you missed an opportunity to open his eyes to what the SE535 is.

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #1,401 of 6,432

Quote:
Had a friend and family over today.  He heard the SR225 and said they sounded clear.  Let him then try ED8 LE and he loved them.  He has a pair of PX100 that i told him to get when he had little money.  I said next maybe Senn 25 or AT M50 when he asked about Bose.  Told him it was expensive marketing.  

His daughter, 16 years old, was there and wants Dr. Dre Beats.  Let her hear the Ed8 she couldn't tell the difference but maybe has only heard a friends Beats briefly.  Basically said that the Beats are a status symbol at her high school and they look good so she wants a pair.  Showed her a pic of the M50's and she said they looked ugly. 

In the end I told them to go to the DXC store and audition some different ones but i am sure that she will just get Beats to wear around her neck and occasionally listen to some low bit rate cr@p any way.

That's just sad.

I have a good female friend who told me she wanted Heart Beats cuz she thinks they look "cute"  I told her the SQ sucks on them and she can get something much better.  I showed her other IEMs that I recommended and she thought all of them were ugly.  She straight up told me she cared nothing about SQ just the style.  And why?  Her response: "because I am a girl"

That is really sad.

On the other hand, my girlfriend is dying to try out my new setup.  Also has been begging me to bring her to demo high end setups.  I see so much potential in her 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 28, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #1,402 of 6,432

Quote:

That's just sad.

I have a good female friend who told me she wanted Heart Beats cuz she thinks they look "cute"  I told her the SQ sucks on them and she can get something much better.  I showed her other IEMs that I recommended and she thought all of them were ugly.  She straight up told me she cared nothing about SQ just the style.  And why?  Her response: "because I am a girl"

That is really sad.

On the other hand, my girlfriend is dying to try out my new setup.  Also has been begging me to bring her to demo high end setups.  I see so much potential in her 
bigsmile_face.gif

Maybe you should buy her some customs with Justin Beiber's face on them?
tongue.gif
I find comments like this super unattractive from women. Just me? It makes them look really unintelligent and doesn't help with the stereotypes. I mean, I understand if a girl doesn't want to go walking around wearing something totally un-stylish, but to completely not care about whether it sounds good or not is silly. There's plenty of decent looking headphones (or IEM's) that sound great.

I got my girlfriend some ES7's because she thought they looked good and also because she trusted me the sound would be great. She seems to really enjoy them which is good!

Feb 28, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #1,403 of 6,432

Quote:
Maybe you should buy her some customs with Justin Beiber's face on them?
tongue.gif
I find comments like this super unattractive from women. Just me? It makes them look really unintelligent and doesn't help with the stereotypes. I mean, I understand if a girl doesn't want to go walking around wearing something totally un-stylish, but to completely not care about whether it sounds good or not is silly. There's plenty of decent looking headphones (or IEM's) that sound great.  
I got my girlfriend some ES7's because she thought they looked good and also because she trusted me the sound would be great. She seems to really enjoy them which is good!

Indeed it is super unattractive.  I don't understand why she would degrade herself like that especially as I have higher expectations of her.  And those feminist always complain...

Feb 28, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #1,406 of 6,432

Quote:
>implying that all women are feminists
>implying that all feminists have exactly the same attitude

Oh, you~

-- Griffinhart

I don't think I saw him once type "all women". We were in-fact talking about ONE women who is contributing to the negative stereotype. Please don't try and start an argument out of nothing.

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #1,408 of 6,432
>turning this thread into an argument.
>anyone who can't formulate a sentence and has to revert to > invalidates their argument.

Some food for though.

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #1,409 of 6,432

Quote:
>turning this thread into an argument.
>anyone who can't formulate a sentence and has to revert to > invalidates their argument.

Some food for though.

What is this I don't even.

Back on topic, however: does spending on speakers seem more acceptable than spending on headphones? I'm talking about how people around you feel, rather than what you think on the matter (since we all clearly find headphones a worthwhile expense)

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #1,410 of 6,432
Quote:
Back on topic, however: does spending on speakers seem more acceptable than spending on headphones? I'm talking about how people around you feel, rather than what you think on the matter (since we all clearly find headphones a worthwhile expense)

Just because its more common.  Hobbies aren't supposed to make sense to other people.  Spending big bucks on speakers is just common enough that its has an air of normalcy that headphones don't.  They haven't heard of it being somewhat common and they don't understand it to begin with so of course they think its weird.  I'm sure most everyone know that large, expensive, and good sounding speakers and their related equipment actually exist and that people buy them, but a lot of them probably think headphones don't get any more expensive (and possibly any better) that the Beats because that's all they've heard of and they never stop to think about it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back