Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Oct 28, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #962 of 4,655
Was working with a co worker last night, he was wearing some type of iems and i asked what kind and he said.. you know just $15 skullcandies and I was said thats nice. He said he see's no reason in spending more cause they iems for him always break anyway.. i told him you ever think the most expensive ones have better materials?
I do use cheaper headphones for (extremely) casual listening... is that frowned upon?

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #963 of 4,655
Had my friend over this Saturday, so I wanted him to try my HE-500's on a Maverick Audio A1 and Audioengine D1. He's into country and Top 40 stuff. I let him listen to my library, and showed him a few of my EDM songs. His reaction to 'Put It Down' by Destroid was amazing. He was literally flailing his eyes and head in enjoyment. I let him sample numerous Seven Lions, Destroid, Excision and Mutrix songs, as well as a bit of Zomboy, all in FLAC. His response was incredible. He now understand my audio addiction a bit more now.

Oh, did I mention that last Saturday he bought a pair of Beats IEM's? He's starting to regret the purchase of $100. XD

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #964 of 4,655

Was working with a co worker last night, he was wearing some type of iems and i asked what kind and he said.. you know just $15 skullcandies and I was said thats nice. He said he see's no reason in spending more cause they iems for him always break anyway.. i told him you ever think the most expensive ones have better materials?

I do use cheaper headphones for (extremely) casual listening... is that frowned upon?

Do whatever makes you happy man
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #966 of 4,655
AHAHAHH!!
I made a girl cry.

I'll be honest, I think anime watchers who love music can become potential audiophiles. I was shocked to see they had just more than vocaloids and nightcore. They had pop, poprock, and classical OST's, though not english; I think they're easily influenced by vast music because of the animes they watch.

During a LAN party at my friends' house, which is a time to show off PC equipment and demolish each other in FPS games. Someone asked me why I had such big headphones and a soundcard outside of my PC. Letting this person try her own music with the E07K and Q701 (amp may be underpowered, but my E12 comes in tomorrow :D), I was surprised to see Amazing Grace by Michiru Oshima on her playlist.
This is what she told me:
-Near the beginning of the track, she glanced around to see who took a breath behind her, and thought someone brought an acoustic guitar. (I think she might've been referring to a cello tap on the floor somewhere in the song)
-She started tearing up because after the trumpet, there was an odd warmth that took over. (I'm guessing it's the whole orchestra and amazing soundstage xD)

Oh did I mention it was an mp3 file that was played off her phone?

I actually miss the transition between my Siberia V2 to an A900X now....

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #967 of 4,655
AHAHAHH!!

I made a girl cry.

I'll be honest, I think anime watchers who love music can become potential audiophiles. I was shocked to see they had just more than vocaloids and nightcore. They had pop, poprock, and classical OST's, though not english; I think they're easily influenced by vast music because of the animes they watch.

During a LAN party at my friends' house, which is a time to show off PC equipment and demolish each other in FPS games. Someone asked me why I had such big headphones and a soundcard outside of my PC. Letting this person try her own music with the E07K and Q701 (amp may be underpowered, but my E12 comes in tomorrow :D), I was surprised to see Amazing Grace by Michiru Oshima on her playlist.

This is what she told me:

-Near the beginning of the track, she glanced around to see who took a breath behind her, and thought someone brought an acoustic guitar. (I think she might've been referring to a cello tap on the floor somewhere in the song)

-She started tearing up because after the trumpet, there was an odd warmth that took over. (I'm guessing it's the whole orchestra and amazing soundstage xD)

Oh did I mention it was an mp3 file that was played off her phone?

I actually miss the transition between my Siberia V2 to an A900X now....

Haha... I have a friend who loves Anime as well.... It's a she as well... I agree with you that Anime lover can be a potential audiophiles! She listen to music whenever she can D: and she played it pretty loud [as a friend, I did hit the "-" button a few times on her Sansa DAP]. She don't use fancy (in terms of sound) headphones like us but her IEM does sound pretty darn good!

Oct 29, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #972 of 4,655
When I just need to head out quickly, I grab the iPod and a pair of S4s I got as part of a trade. There's no shame in having a low(er)-fi setup for casual listening.

Oct 29, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #973 of 4,655
Yeah, I have my SGS and Senny PX100ii for my portable on the go uses. It's comparatively low end, but I like it more than the more high end portables I've owned because at least it's actually comfortable and it's far superior ergonomically. Still sounds very pleasing, though. And because it's only $80 you don't have to worry about it too much. Sometimes a more humble and simple solution is the best!

Nov 2, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #975 of 4,655
I went to lecture today wearing my es700's and my friend happened to bring his sony zx100 to class, so naturally the conversation drifted to the topic of headphones. He mentioned how his headphones kept breaking and this was his third set of zx100, then asked if my headphones were bassy. To keep things simple, I replied that my headphones weren't focused on bass (they actually have good bass, just not bloated midbass), but that compared to his the music should be much more clear. I offered to let him try it (I have no idea what was playing on his phone) and after just a few seconds he goes "DAMN, I can hear the clarity already!"

By the end of the lecture he was asking me for a list of recommendations for portable headphones under $40, which I promised to have ready by sunday. If handled well, I think he could be a possible convert, so any suggestions?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back