Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Oct 26, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #931 of 4,655
  Just heard it today, I found it to be very good. Was surprised at its sound.

EDIT: Ouch, searched the price, didn't realize it was $330. I still liked it better than the Momentum, not sure how on-ear would fare for long comfort though(Momentum is over-ear for me).

I got it for HK$2300 (~US$300) which imo is quite a cheap price for such an excellent pair of headphones.

Comfort-wise, they have a lot of clamp so it's best to stretch them out on a stack of books or something before using them. After you do that they're alright although still not as comfortable as the Momentum mainly because they're on-ear headphones but replacing the pleather pads with velour allows me to wear them for longer periods of time before I have to take them off.

Oct 26, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #932 of 4,655
Actually, I had some crazy reactions just the other day. Some of my friends "cornered" me during a free period and started asking about my new ATH-M50. Without hesitation, I hooked it up to my FiiO E11 and played them some 320kbps dubstep with poweramp. They literally started jumping up and down, yelling like cavemen discovering fire. I hope they can appreciate good sound quality a little more now.

Oct 26, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #933 of 4,655

let my girlfriend listen to my m100's she was thorougly impressed after previously thinking it was a waste of money. My mom loves using my ad700's too... she always listens to the eagles are other stuff on them.. i know they aren't great sonically but they beat her iphone earbuds

I never see anyone wearing good brand stuff, I go to community college in a urban area in connecticut, usa and lots of kids have beats.. hell I've seen some kids that have 2 pairs of beats.. like really you bought two pairs? Gotta match the nikes though. I typically just wear my sound magic eh11's though at school.. don't like people eyein my cans

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #935 of 4,655

let my girlfriend listen to my m100's she was thorougly impressed after previously thinking it was a waste of money. My mom loves using my ad700's too... she always listens to the eagles are other stuff on them.. i know they aren't great sonically but they beat her iphone earbuds

I never see anyone wearing good brand stuff, I go to community college in a urban area in connecticut, usa and lots of kids have beats.. hell I've seen some kids that have 2 pairs of beats.. like really you bought two pairs? Gotta match the nikes though. I typically just wear my sound magic eh11's though at school.. don't like people eyein my cans

You got lucky, most girls that Have tried out my headphones out of curiousity ended up thinking it all sounds the same.:mad: so now, if one ask me, I pick out of random just to test for reaction. Most thinks the headphones I own are ugly and big. Except the esw9s and m80

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #936 of 4,655
^ +1
In the end it's the music that counts, and I'd rather have crappy sounding music than no music at all :) Having said that though, I'd rather have music that sounds great through good cans, than music that sounds bad. But ummm, I don't think I'm the only one here on head-fi who thinks that :)

crappy sounding music, I'd rather not have. Period. Especially if its loud. My wife plays the clock radio every morning, and every morning I complain. She's not getting it. My only hope is to find her some better gear for the mornings... so one of these days I don't finally completely loose my ****.

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #937 of 4,655
Omg its a miracle,

So a while ago i showed on of my stubborn sisters my hfi 580's, and she thought it was just as good as her 15$ skullcandy.

Showed her my signature dj's today and she finally realised What i was talking about lol

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #938 of 4,655
I recall being in Chinese class one day, and this guy with Solos notices my TF10 on my desk (probably due to my E5 its plugged into). Of course, he asks the ubiquitous, universal question of "What kind of headphones are those?" I actually told him "Sennheiser", in hopes that he would recognize the name since Beats are commonly compared to Sennheiser, just behind Bose. Surely enough, he does. I let him listen to my M50 a while ago without any EQ, and he just remarks "huh, comfy". But when he tried the FiiO'd TF10, his eyes widen in joy and asks how much they were. I told him "they were originally $300, but they're on sale for $125". I guess the girl in front only heard the "$300" part, and turns around in shock.

"You spent $300 on those little things?"

I let her use them with the amp on her iPhone, but to no avail. "I don't get why you would spend so much."

It's all about priorities, I suppose. No one can really criticize how others spend their money as long as it doesn't interfere with them. That's my huge justifying factor I turn to if someone asks me why I spend so much on audio.

Also, the dude who tried my TF10 bought his own, as well as a V-Moda M80. Proud of him.

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #939 of 4,655
You got lucky, most girls that Have tried out my headphones out of curiousity ended up thinking it all sounds the same.
mad.gif
so now, if one ask me, I pick out of random just to test for reaction. Most thinks the headphones I own are ugly and big. Except the esw9s and m80

trick is to let them listen to tehre tunes.. taylor swift lol

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #940 of 4,655
I recall being in Chinese class one day, and this guy with Solos notices my TF10 on my desk (probably due to my E5 its plugged into). Of course, he asks the ubiquitous, universal question of "What kind of headphones are those?" I actually told him "Sennheiser", in hopes that he would recognize the name since Beats are commonly compared to Sennheiser, just behind Bose. Surely enough, he does. I let him listen to my M50 a while ago without any EQ, and he just remarks "huh, comfy". But when he tried the FiiO'd TF10, his eyes widen in joy and asks how much they were. I told him "they were originally $300, but they're on sale for $125". I guess the girl in front only heard the "$300" part, and turns around in shock.

"You spent $300 on those little things?"

I let her use them with the amp on her iPhone, but to no avail. "I don't get why you would spend so much."

It's all about priorities, I suppose. No one can really criticize how others spend their money as long as it doesn't interfere with them. That's my huge justifying factor I turn to if someone asks me why I spend so much on audio.

Also, the dude who tried my TF10 bought his own, as well as a V-Moda M80. Proud of him.

Sennheiser TF10? Where can I get that? 
tongue.gif

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #941 of 4,655
I generally have had good reactions from people who have tried my headphones (M50 and my IEMS: RE-262 all with the e11). They can tell the sound is good, but none of them are completely wow'ed. What they don't understand is the fact that I own more than one pair of headphones. My family especially doesn't understand the need for having my M50s and the 262s. I am not allowed to ask for headphone gear for presents so instead I just ask for gift cards to stores I know will have the gear :wink:

My fiance has an interesting take on it. She can't understand my fascination with headphones, but she does acknowledge it's a hobby I  enjoy. I think in her mind she equates my love of music and good headphones to her love of cooking and her need for quality cookware to truly enjoy it. As she states it "We all geek out over something, you have your headphones and I have my cooking."

Oct 27, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #942 of 4,655
Oct 27, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #943 of 4,655
My romantic partner (female) laughed when she saw me wearing Fostex T50RP. Now, she won't give them back, and I get to laugh at how she looks.

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #945 of 4,655

My answer to those comments is "The same reason you spend to much on your iDevice/shoes/clothing/ect."

+1 for my interests is not your intrests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back