Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Oct 2, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #916 of 4,655

I dunno what part of California you're from but I've seen a decent amount of audiophiles around here. Myself included, but I live in a pretty ghetto area so walking around with a several hundred dollar set up isn't something I'd feel comfortable doing. As much as I'd like to, the closest I've gotten is walking around with a pair of clear shure se215's. To the general public, they look like hearing aids, but to the people I've shared them with, they sound great. ^^

I'm in San Diego.  People around here are not worried about getting their headphones stolen...otherwise they would not be walking around with expensive Beats on their heads.  They just don't know about what good sound is.  If they do, they care more about what is fashionable or cool instead.   Funny thing is that most of the people I saw in Europe had the headphones on their ears - I assume that they were listening to music and that they would put the headphones away when they were done.  In San Diego about half the people I see with beats have them hung around their necks.  Does that mean that they don't have somewhere they can put their headphones in after they are done listening, or does it mean they are using them as some sort of high-tech jewelry?

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #917 of 4,655

I'm in San Diego.  People around here are not worried about getting their headphones stolen...otherwise they would not be walking around with expensive Beats on their heads.  They just don't know about what good sound is.  If they do, they care more about what is fashionable or cool instead.   Funny thing is that most of the people I saw in Europe had the headphones on their ears - I assume that they were listening to music and that they would put the headphones away when they were done.  In San Diego about half the people I see with beats have them hung around their necks.  Does that mean that they don't have somewhere they can put their headphones in after they are done listening, or does it mean they are using them as some sort of high-tech jewelry?

Oakland here, and I see plenty of people wearing beats around here too. It is the ghetto after all. Mostly beats and cheap sony headphones. For most people I've seen with beats, it's been more of a fashion accessory. "Hey look at my new beats!" They want to wear them proudly and show them off which is why they care so much for how they look. I think of them like people who drop down 300 bucks on a pair of shoes to show off. They like how they sound, but care a lot more for the look. I've yet to meet any audiophiles where I'm from, but around California definitely. I just don't know how many of us walk outside with expensive set ups. The closest I've gotten to an experience meeting an audiophile in person though (other than the recent headphone meet) was seeing a guy wear a pair of grado sr80i's on a subway train.

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #919 of 4,655

My girlfriend on the weekend, when I dragged her to an AV expo. She's actually very willing! She tried the HD800, paired with the HDVD 800. She wasn't a big fan.

But she loved the FA-011 LE. She owns a pair of the FA011 already, but she loved the LE edition more!

Oct 26, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #920 of 4,655
This thread musn't die.

I created a headphone purchasing advice thread on a forum that I'm largely active on, and since then I've persuaded 14 people to buy audiophile-brand headphones, and all of them (except one guy who bought a Koss PortaPro) are satisfied. I'm proud of myself, but I'm a terrible person for it. Their wallets... My condolences.

Oct 26, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #921 of 4,655

How can one "enjoy the music" if it is not presented properly, if the significant bits or parts of the sound are missing ? What kind of a "message' is it when it is badly written and you struggle to read it ? If you had two copies of a famous painting to choose from to buy and one version of it had parts of the canvass and thus parts of the picture cut out, would you choose it over the proper undamaged copy, would you hang it on a wall in your home ? The holes in the picture would not interfere with your view and your enjoyment of it ? 

That's sooo wrong, it makes me cringe soo bad. Audiophile quality sound is just like 4k television. I can still love a movie even though I cannot see every micro facial expressions of the actor... I can still love a black and white movie on a old and cheap zenith 12'' tv like I will enjoy my favorite song on 64kb/s played on laptop speakers.

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #922 of 4,655
That's sooo wrong, it makes me cringe soo bad. Audiophile quality sound is just like 4k television. I can still love a movie even though I cannot see every micro facial expressions of the actor... I can still love a black and white movie on a old and cheap zenith 12'' tv like I will enjoy my favorite song on 64kb/s played on laptop speakers.

Exactly, you can still enjoy lower quality recordings. When I go to work by train there is so much noise that I don't really think I'd hear difference between better and worse SQ, and this is why on train I just use CX300II with large foam tips, which shut down all the noise to low level, and I can actually hear the music without making it extremely loud. And yes, I enjoy it, since it makes the travel easier...

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #923 of 4,655
^ +1
In the end it's the music that counts, and I'd rather have crappy sounding music than no music at all :) Having said that though, I'd rather have music that sounds great through good cans, than music that sounds bad. But ummm, I don't think I'm the only one here on head-fi who thinks that :)

Oct 26, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #925 of 4,655
I wonder what reaction I'll find when I wear AD on train:p

People will look at you and probably shake their heads. Eventhough it's more accepted to wear headphones again these days, those AD's are huge :) (how do they sound by the way?)

Oct 26, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #926 of 4,655
So i got my ultrasone signature dj's yesterday.

Every person i have showed them to couldnt help but say "WOW"

No bad responses. Not even to beats fans, if they think it doesnt have enough bass i simply click the eq on my e11 to 2. Problem solved lol

Oct 26, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #927 of 4,655
"-Why would you need such an expensive pair of headphones just to listen to music? Complete waste of money."

Reaction to my HD 25 Aluminium when I told a couple classmates the price.

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #929 of 4,655
  "-Why would you need such an expensive pair of headphones just to listen to music? Complete waste of money."

Just heard it today, I found it to be very good. Was surprised at its sound.

EDIT: Ouch, searched the price, didn't realize it was $330. I still liked it better than the Momentum, not sure how on-ear would fare for long comfort though(Momentum is over-ear for me).

Oct 26, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #930 of 4,655

Really it's the same as buying anything expensive like buying a big house "why would you need all that space" , buying expensive vacuum cleaner "the regular cleaner can still clean", expensive fast car "you can't even drive past the speed limit so why do you need all that speed." it's just the way how it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back