Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Sep 28, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #901 of 4,655
  My non-audiophile friends reactions to high end headphones, "they cost how much!"
rolleyes.gif

In my experience this [good educated guess] question is becoming commonplace - "Wo-o-o-w, they [Beyerdynamic] are big... they get very loud ?"

Sep 29, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #902 of 4,655
  Had a beats user at my school appreciate the Grado sound.

Also knew what my portable amp was without me having to explain.

Why would he be using beats then?

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #904 of 4,655
  there are a few beats users out there who know that beats is rubbish but they cannot throw away the stupid investment now...

There's also a huge group of people who value style or bragging rights over pure audio quality. Most of the market isn't made up of Head-Fiers, after all.

I had an exchange student who bought fake Beats and wanted me to mod some low-end Sennheiser drivers into them because he was conflicted on the question of SQ vs. social acceptance.

Sep 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #905 of 4,655
I've actually seen a guy walking around with a beats headphone around his neck while listening to his ibuds...

Sep 29, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #906 of 4,655
  I've actually seen a guy walking around with a beats headphone around his neck while listening to his ibuds...

This made me laugh considerably harder than I think I should.

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #908 of 4,655
Hey folks,

Short time lurker, first time poster. 

I recently had the most positive reaction to my set up so far. My computer rig is MBPr > HDtracks > Audirvana+ > iFi iDac > Beyerdynamic T5p. 

I had introduced him to the HDtracks before, so he was familiar with what I was listening to. I played Tedeschi Trucks Band - Midnight in Harlem, Diana Krall - S'Wonderful, and a Chesky Binaural+ recording. 

I set him up, and then left the room for a few minutes. When I came back, he was still listening intently. When he noticed I was back, he looked over at me with a smile from ear to ear, and said,

"I've never heard anything like that. It's incredible."'

So I'd call that a success. Not a conversion, but he now understands the difference. Cheers!

Nick

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #909 of 4,655
  There's also a huge group of people who value style or bragging rights over pure audio quality. Most of the market isn't made up of Head-Fiers, after all.

I had an exchange student who bought fake Beats and wanted me to mod some low-end Sennheiser drivers into them because he was conflicted on the question of SQ vs. social acceptance.

well i said there are a few of what i said... but you are right and fake beats are very very popular just due to the look factor and tbh. i hate that crappy flashy look they have.

Sep 30, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #911 of 4,655
Here in Dublin I see people wearing various headphones on their heads. Beats are very popular, but mostly kids wear them. Students and professionals wear here mostly Sennheisers and besides that Sony and JVC are quite popular here. At work I can see people have usually have some Sennheisers or things like ATH-M50, B&W P5 or vTrue. I think I haven't seen anyone with Beats here... :D

Sep 30, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #912 of 4,655
Here in Dublin I see people wearing various headphones on their heads. Beats are very popular, but mostly kids wear them. Students and professionals wear here mostly Sennheisers and besides that Sony and JVC are quite popular here. At work I can see people have usually have some Sennheisers or things like ATH-M50, B&W P5 or vTrue. I think I haven't seen anyone with Beats here...
biggrin.gif

I just came back from vacation - I visited Berlin, Brussels and Paris.  I saw a lot of people walking around with headphones...and most of them were not Beats (although I did see some).  Most people in those cities use Sennheisers, but I did see other good brands here and there. 

It seems that Europeans are better informed than the people in California.  All I see here are Beats and more Beats.

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #913 of 4,655

I just came back from vacation - I visited Berlin, Brussels and Paris.  I saw a lot of people walking around with headphones...and most of them were not Beats (although I did see some).  Most people in those cities use Sennheisers, but I did see other good brands here and there. 

It seems that Europeans are better informed than the people in California.  All I see here are Beats and more Beats.

Same goes with Australia, on vacation I saw the HD202(x3), HD429, HD438, HD448,HD435, and one HD515. Other brands I saw were Sony,Marshal,Akg, and of course, Beats.

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #914 of 4,655

It is calfornia... what did you expect?:D

Oct 2, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #915 of 4,655
  It is calfornia... what did you expect?:D

I dunno what part of California you're from but I've seen a decent amount of audiophiles around here. Myself included, but I live in a pretty ghetto area so walking around with a several hundred dollar set up isn't something I'd feel comfortable doing. As much as I'd like to, the closest I've gotten is walking around with a pair of clear shure se215's. To the general public, they look like hearing aids, but to the people I've shared them with, they sound great. ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back