Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Sep 12, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #886 of 4,655

TBH, most of us do not know that much more than the average consumer. 

Do we know the profit margins for high-end headphones, and base our decisions and valuations on them, or do we blindly follow manufacturer claims and marketing ploys? 

Are we really that much more informed than the 'average consumer' we so often make fun of? Or do we just belong to a niche, but are equally clueless.

Do we know the profit margins for high-end headphones, and base our decisions and valuations on them, or do we blindly follow manufacturer claims and marketing ploys?

I can tell you that for instance Audio-Technica Corp. lost money on the best headphones it ever made, the limited edition ATH-W3000ANV. There were only 2000 plus a few of them made. By my estimate Audio-Technica made between 1.2 and 1.4 million dollars from the sales, not even enough to cover the cost of the development of these headphones. On top of it there was the cost of the materials and of the manufacturing of the parts and of the assembly. The company took a financial hit on W3000ANV. 

Some dealers sold them for around $999 at some point, so we can safely assume that Audio Technica probably sold each unit to dealers for a good amount less than that.

Sep 13, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #887 of 4,655

10 years ago, a beautiful woman that I had never spoken to walked by as I was softly humming the tune to Karma Police. After walking past me, she turned her head for a second to say "Radiohead." She is now my wife.

Good luck, I'm rooting for you.

I'll print this quote and put it in my wallet to remind me every time I doubt myself.

Never mind that. Where's the pic.

Lol, 
tongue.gif
Quote:

Sorry guys.

Talked with my friend and slipped some not-too-discrete questions about her. She giggled and entertained me anyway and told me that she's someone else's girlfriend, and she's a year older than me. lol.
It's alright I guess.

Anyway I let my friend try out my desktop rig when some of them came over to do their project. I didn't disclose the price for obvious reasons, but the reactions were very good.

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #888 of 4,655
  Sorry guys.

Talked with my friend and slipped some not-too-discrete questions about her. She giggled and entertained me anyway and told me that she's someone else's girlfriend, and she's a year older than me. lol.
It's alright I guess.

Anyway I let my friend try out my desktop rig when some of them came over to do their project. I didn't disclose the price for obvious reasons, but the reactions were very good.

Don't give up, the right music-lover is out there looking for you, just like you're looking for her
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #889 of 4,655

10 years ago, a beautiful woman that I had never spoken to walked by as I was softly humming the tune to Karma Police. After walking past me, she turned her head for a second to say "Radiohead." She is now my wife.

Good luck, I'm rooting for you.

I'll print this quote and put it in my wallet to remind me every time I doubt myself.

Never mind that. Where's the pic.

Lol, :p Quote:

Sorry guys.

It's alright I guess.

No apology needed champ. Dont let her "not single" status stop you, roll it like youd roll tubes.

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #891 of 4,655
My non-audiophile friends reactions to high end headphones, "they cost how much!"
rolleyes.gif

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #893 of 4,655
Again, don't disclose for obvious reasons. lol.

Also, thanks guys.

Another guy from my archery class loved headphones compared to speakers too. I had this good budget 2.0 bookshelves, the Edifier R1900T3 but had to sell them along with my desktop for a new laptop because I need to go around for work. Anyway, he prefers headphones over speakers because of the immersive experience. Honestly I prefer speakers of headphones because I love feeling the pressure waves through my body and not just my eardrums. He made some good arguments as to why headphones are better than speakers, I should invite him over for a sessions with my setup soon.

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #894 of 4,655
Again, don't disclose for obvious reasons. lol.

Also, thanks guys.

Another guy from my archery class loved headphones compared to speakers too. I had this good budget 2.0 bookshelves, the Edifier R1900T3 but had to sell them along with my desktop for a new laptop because I need to go around for work. Anyway, he prefers headphones over speakers because of the immersive experience. Honestly I prefer speakers of headphones because I love feeling the pressure waves through my body and not just my eardrums. He made some good arguments as to why headphones are better than speakers, I should invite him over for a sessions with my setup soon.
Archery... So youve got cupid's blood.

Jokes aside. Some will prefer one over the other and vise versa. For me, when Im home after a long days of work, theres nothing better than placing my HD800 over my head, putting my feet up, and hitting I> on the JRemote.

Sep 20, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #895 of 4,655
+1 If you like her continue to talk to her. It's very possible you two are a better match than her and her current boyfriend.

Yeah, ask her if her boyfriend is the love of her life and if she can picture being together with him the rest of her life. If her answer to that isn't a resounding yes, watch the relationship crumble... then pick up the pieces :wink: (or is that mean?)
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 20, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #896 of 4,655

Yeah, ask her if her boyfriend is the love of her life and if she can picture being together with him the rest of her life. If her answer to that isn't a resounding yes, watch the relationship crumble... then pick up the pieces :wink: (or is that mean?)
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nah, it's just doing a reality check and making the most of it. 
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #898 of 4,655
Go to headfi, it's the solution to all your problemS entertment, hobby, friendship, and even relationship, CHECK :p

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #899 of 4,655
Yuin Pk1 + Meridian Explorer + Audirvana playing 24/192s

reactions:
1. "What the hell?"
2. "Ohhhhhh man that is tight! you can hear the... ohhh maaaan..."
3. "That sounds better than beats!"

etc etc. fool em with a pretty normal looking earbud that delivers beautiful sound :)

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #900 of 4,655
Had a beats user at my school appreciate the Grado sound.

Also knew what my portable amp was without me having to explain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back