Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Jul 19, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #676 of 4,655
Ultimately comes down to how much are you willing to/are able to pay for an incremental step up in quality? As with most of the finer things in life... the law of diminishing returns will apply. And IMHO, for headphones and amps/dac it begins around the ~$200-300 mark... where the cost for performance starts that exponential climb.

If you're not interested in that climb, likely, the HD600 (cant' say for magni/modi haven't heard) will be more than enough for the rest of your life.
beerchug.gif

P.S. Congrats Slayerming2... I believe you've made an EXCELLENT choice with the HD600s

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #677 of 4,655
Quote:
Huh that's a pretty interesting story. For me I'm about to upgrade from the akg k240 mkii to sennheiser hd 600 for classical music. My plan is that I stick with the sennheiser hd 600 with schiit magni/modi for the rest of my life.... But down the road I'll probably want to get a better amp/dac and the hd 800. But honestly I hope I don't cause everything on headfii makes me think people care more about the tech than the music. Idk we shall see than.......

The music always come first for me. The tech leads to better resolution of the music.  I seek to hear every detail and nuance that was put into the recording.  I love the sound from each and every headphone that I have.  It's like looking at a picture from different angles.  

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #678 of 4,655
Ultimately comes down to how much are you willing to/are able to pay for an incremental step up in quality? As with most of the finer things in life... the law of diminishing returns will apply. And IMHO, for headphones and amps/dac it begins around the ~$200-300 mark... where the cost for performance starts that exponential climb.

If you're not interested in that climb, likely, the HD600 (cant' say for magni/modi haven't heard) will be more than enough for the rest of your life. :beerchug:

P.S. Congrats Slayerming2... I believe you've made an EXCELLENT choice with the HD600s

Thanks Joebobbilly, yeah the price of diminishing returns defintely applies after the sennheiser hd 600. And honestly me being an college student and buying a $400 dollar pair headphones is pretty irresponsible.... but oh well that's one of my many problems :)

Overall though in addition to my new headphones I definitely want to attend a lot more live performances than last year. My first concert in a while will be Gil Shaham playing the Tchaikovskyconcerto!!! super excited!!!!!

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #679 of 4,655
Quote:

If you're not interested in that climb, likely, the HD600 (cant' say for magni/modi haven't heard) will be more than enough for the rest of your life.
beerchug.gif

+1, especially for classical.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #680 of 4,655
Quote:
So why not just stop at beginning and be happy?

My case is really similar to that Hammer of thor guy. I decided to move up the chain, got my new (better) phones but couldn't appreciate the goodness at first. But soon I got adapted to the new sound, decided to look back to the old ones and realize they sound worse than the new. To tell the truth I feel like spoiling my ears rather than upgrading them, so I just feel happy with what i have and decided to stop. Yeah, I guess I know my limitation.

Jul 20, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #681 of 4,655
Quote:
Thanks Joebobbilly, yeah the price of diminishing returns defintely applies after the sennheiser hd 600. And honestly me being an college student and buying a $400 dollar pair headphones is pretty irresponsible.... but oh well that's one of my many problems
smily_headphones1.gif

Overall though in addition to my new headphones I definitely want to attend a lot more live performances than last year. My first concert in a while will be Gil Shaham playing the Tchaikovskyconcerto!!! super excited!!!!!

That is why I buy my headphones before I go to college/university. I consider it as savings, good way to make sure I don't use my money on other stuff 
size]
 (good excuse, rigth?)

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #682 of 4,655
but isnt that part of being a college student is to be irresponsible? the girls, late night drinking, parties, experimentings, etc. college is about getting that degree and all else goes 
smile.gif

Jul 20, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #683 of 4,655
Remembered when I tried to explain the difference sounding between AD900X and HD650 to my friend, and he just laughing and make fun of me (those sounding term, aka dark, laid back, etc) since he can't really hear the difference between those. 
deadhorse.gif

Jul 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #684 of 4,655
Quote:
Remembered when I tried to explain the difference sounding between AD900X and HD650 to my friend, and he just laughing and make fun of me (those sounding term, aka dark, laid back, etc) since he can't really hear the difference between those. 
deadhorse.gif

you should've just said: 

This one has bass, this one DOES NOT have bass. 

Jul 20, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #686 of 4,655
you should've just said: 

This one has bass, this one DOES NOT have bass. 

He can't tell either, either he have hearing problem.

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #687 of 4,655
Or he was looking for the boomy muddy bass that people tend to think is bass.

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #688 of 4,655
Had a friend who listened to my A900xs (modded with Mad Dog Alpha Pads).
He wowed every few seconds about the clarity of each instrument; it was deeply thrilling to hear someone else appreciate the minute details in instrumental music.
The fact that he could detect a difference between what he's accustomed to hearing and what he heard then and actually enjoy it is particularly nice to me, since my purchases are usually met with "Why'd you spend all that money on some -headphones-" or "Have you heard Beats?".

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #689 of 4,655
Quote:
Had a friend who listened to my A900xs (modded with Mad Dog Alpha Pads).
He wowed every few seconds about the clarity of each instrument; it was deeply thrilling to hear someone else appreciate the minute details in instrumental music.
The fact that he could detect a difference between what he's accustomed to hearing and what he heard then and actually enjoy it is particularly nice to me, since my purchases are usually met with "Why'd you spend all that money on some -headphones-" or "Have you heard Beats?".

That's a surprise. There are few non-Head'Fiers who ever do that. 

Jul 21, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #690 of 4,655
Quote:
   That's a surprise. There are few non-Head'Fiers who ever do that. 

I think we just don't hear those stories as much. It's much more entertaining to ridicule in this thread than it is to find alliance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back