Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
May 14, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #451 of 4,655
Okay, here's the reaction from my mom on the Grados Sr80i's I got for her this Sunday,
"The notes are so clean and everything is so vidid!"
She is a professional pianist and has never owned anything audio related worth over $50. That sound is coming of her stock Toshi-tba laptop soundcard, without a DAC or amp through a Youtube video on 240p. I play to show her some FLAC Classical pieces through Foobar, WASAPI, and amp and DAC though her newly acquired Sr80i's. I also play to let me father listen to some CCR, Eagles, Pink Floyd (DSoTM) in a FLAC format when I can. :D

May 14, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #452 of 4,655
Okay, here's the reaction from my mom on the Grados Sr80i's I got for her this Sunday,
"The notes are so clean and everything is so vidid!"
She is a professional pianist and has never owned anything audio related worth over $50. That sound is coming of her stock Toshi-tba laptop soundcard, without a DAC or amp through a Youtube video on 240p. I play to show her some FLAC Classical pieces through Foobar, WASAPI, and amp and DAC though her newly acquired Sr80i's. I also play to let me father listen to some CCR, Eagles, Pink Floyd (DSoTM) in a FLAC format when I can. :D

YKYAA when you buy your Mom headphones for mothers day

May 14, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #453 of 4,655
Today I brought my desktop setup to the office because we have a lot of free time. It was just an Aune T1 and Goldring DR150.
I let my colleague try out Adele's Someone Like You and he started to sit on the floor listening to it.

lol.
It was funny. And Adele 21 wasn't even mastered well.

May 14, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #454 of 4,655
which is a shame... her music really is some good stuff.

Dunno why they wouldn't do a better job mastering/recording it.

May 14, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #455 of 4,655
Quote:
which is a shame... her music really is some good stuff.

Dunno why they wouldn't do a better job mastering/recording it.

The same thing happens to a lot of potentially great albums. Just look at the absolute crap mastering on Imagine Dragons's Night Visions, and then imagine what the album could've been if it'd had a proper producer.

May 14, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #457 of 4,655
Quote:
The same thing happens to a lot of potentially great albums. Just look at the absolute crap mastering on Imagine Dragons's Night Visions, and then imagine what the album could've been if it'd had a proper producer.

unlistenable for me, was really bad mastering

May 14, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #458 of 4,655
Quote:

unlistenable for me, was really bad mastering

I was really looking forward to the album when I bought it. It reminded me of M83 in a poppier, rock-based way. It seemed like one of those big, loud, ambitious sounds that you can get completely lost in. I was unimaginably disappointed on first listen, when all the "big" pieces just turned to surface-level mush.

I feel the same way about The Killers' Battle Born and its bigger pieces (especially the potentially-epic title track), though not to the extreme degree that Night Visions disappointed me.

...I should really start paying more attention to the production team before buying an album. I can pretty much be assured that anything Steve Lillywhite or JP Plunier put out will be fantastic, but beyond that I'm not familiar with the big names in album production.

May 15, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #459 of 4,655
Adele 21 has better mastering in the UK pressing vinyl. I've read so much about it but I had never listened to it yet. Saw it sold in a music store here, but wasn't sure whether its by XL or that UK version which I have no idea by who.

May 15, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #460 of 4,655
I have a great vinyl rip of Adele's 21 and I don't really get where all the hate is coming from. I thought it was pretty good, minus some blatantly fake reverb and a lack of clarity in complicated passages.

May 15, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #463 of 4,655
I put The Album Leaf's Vermillion on for a good friend. ALAC/Foobar w/ wasapi/ to Ad700s. He loved it

May 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #465 of 4,655
Quote:
Why get her budget headphones for Mommas day

Why get her anything more expensive? I want to have her toe dipped into the audiophile world, not smother her with slabs of it. Plus, I'm not made of money. For ~$100 that's a very good gift and getting her anything much more expensive would not be worth it IMO as she doesn't appreciate sound quality nearly as much as we do. If she reacts really nicely to those SR80i's, maybe I'll get her a new and nicer set of cans for her Birthday or Christmas in some months time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back