Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Mar 21, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #241 of 4,655
I don't know, I think it's pretty reasonable for non-audiophiles to not hear much of a difference.  Some people are probably naturally better at picking up differences which leads to them getting into high-end audio, and I think others learn the difference as they go, training themselves to analyze things they never really paid attention to.  I wouldn't expect Joe Average to tell the difference between FXAA and 8xMSAA in a video game for instance.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #242 of 4,655
Quote:
I don't know, I think it's pretty reasonable for non-audiophiles to not hear much of a difference.  Some people are probably naturally better at picking up differences which leads to them getting into high-end audio, and I think others learn the difference as they go, training themselves to analyze things they never really paid attention to.  I wouldn't expect Joe Average to tell the difference between FXAA and 8xMSAA in a video game for instance.

True that.
That's why audiophile equipment and high end headphones have a niche market.

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #243 of 4,655
A lot of people truly cannot discern much upon first listen. I had a friend tell me that the HD600, PS1000, FA-003, and SR60 all sounded the same. The only headphone that they said were different in sound signature was the XB500.

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #244 of 4,655
he prob just thinks something similar to "Who would buy such nice headphones, and all of the setup... what a waste of money..". People tend to think that headphones over 50$ are a waste of money. I dont understand where they are coming from :/. Anyways, yeah the only people i didnt show my headphones on my iphone + fiio e11 + 320 kbs is my cousin and my brother in law. Just to be annoying he actually listened to them while i was somewhere else. My cousin actually ended up playing some music on youtube x(. May i ask what rig you were using?

Its in my signature, but Bifrost/Lyr/HD800s

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #245 of 4,655
My wife fits that category.  She does seem to understand why I need such expensive headphones, let alone 6 pairs.  We all know why so I won't go into detail.  She doesn't see HD or why Sirrius or any satellite music radio plain sucks in SQ - I can hear the "pixelation" in the music compression like a slap in the face - but, hey, it's her car.  

What is with Sirius anyhow? Its not like they have such a shortage of bandwith. Its pathetic!

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #246 of 4,655
Quote:
My wife fits that category.  She does seem to understand why I need such expensive headphones, let alone 6 pairs.  We all know why so I won't go into detail.  She doesn't see HD or why Sirrius or any satellite music radio plain sucks in SQ - I can hear the "pixelation" in the music compression like a slap in the face - but, hey, it's her car.  

My wife can hear the difference between all my headphones.  She genuinely just doesn't care.  Same with monitors; the only reason she prefers to sit and watch a film on the Pioneer Kuro plasma is that there is a couch, otherwise she is totally happy to watch it on her crappy low end computer monitor in her office.

Luckily she isn't one of those ultra controlling types who feels that I "shouldn't have more than x" simply because she doesn't understand why it's fun to own.  I feel so sorry for my friends who's spouses harass them constantly about owning "too many" bicycles, headphones, cd's, coffee makers, guns, etc. even when they have plenty of room and can easily afford them.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #249 of 4,655
I always get looks of curiosity when wearing my high end cans at work. I even had one coworker ask if my amp was some kind of wooden boom box (it's actually a homemade CMOY). It's sometimes hard to explain this hobby to others who aren't "in the know".

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #250 of 4,655
Quote:
I always get looks of curiosity when wearing my high end cans at work. I even had one coworker ask if my amp was some kind of wooden boom box (it's actually a homemade CMOY). It's sometimes hard to explain this hobby to others who aren't "in the know".

When someone points to the Asgard sitting on my desk at work and asks "what the hell is that?", I just explain that I'm a crazy person who buys headphones that require an extra amplifier.  Usually something else comes up - like work.

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #251 of 4,655
Quote:

can't you just simply say it's something which gives the headphones more power to reach their potential?

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #252 of 4,655
A reaction to my MDR-1R by a friend thought my last pair, the XB500's were better... Another mentioned in disappointment how the XB500s were louder as if that's what makes a good headphone
rolleyes.gif

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #254 of 4,655
Recently let a friend who owned beats before and now has Bose try my HD 650s.  He was definitely impressed, saying how he could still get good bass but hear so much more clearly.  Within the next half hour he asked me at least 3 times how much my rig was... you could tell he was thinking bout his budgeting plans
biggrin.gif
.  Two days later, he declares that he will save up $500 and then come ask me for recommendations... we may have ourselves a new convert
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back