Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Feb 7, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #4,607 of 4,655

I don't know, but logos, names, etc. matter to some people. I have an audiophile friend who refuses to use anything by Schiit because "he doesn't trust a company with that name." He doesn't like bands simply because he finds their name stupid. He hated the Mackie MR5 mk3s because of the green power logo on the front - "that looks stupid'. He seems to care more about how an item looks (audio gear) than what's on the inside. (he claims he wants equal aesthetics and quality, but anything with good quality that has bad aesthetics he trashes) We went over to a guy's house who had all these awesome vintage solid amps/receivers with rack handles. He almost got thrown out of the guy's house because he started insulting them simply based on the rack handles.

There are lots of people out there like that.

yikes.

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #4,608 of 4,655
  I don't know, but logos, names, etc. matter to some people. I have an audiophile friend who refuses to use anything by Schiit because "he doesn't trust a company with that name." He doesn't like bands simply because he finds their name stupid. He hated the Mackie MR5 mk3s because of the green power logo on the front - "that looks stupid'. He seems to care more about how an item looks (audio gear) than what's on the inside. (he claims he wants equal aesthetics and quality, but anything with good quality that has bad aesthetics he trashes) We went over to a guy's house who had all these awesome vintage solid amps/receivers with rack handles. He almost got thrown out of the guy's house because he started insulting them simply based on the rack handles.

There are lots of people out there like that.

Tell him about Chord Electronic products. I'm sure he'll like it.

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #4,609 of 4,655

He'll probably find all the colored lights stupid as well.  
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #4,610 of 4,655

He'll probably find all the colored lights stupid as well.  
biggrin.gif

Oh, the stories I could tell you about this guy and his dislikes. Also, anything made in China = automatically bad, not allowed in his audio systems. Anything made anywhere else = acceptable to amazing.

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #4,611 of 4,655

Oh, the stories I could tell you about this guy and his dislikes. Also, anything made in China = automatically bad, not allowed in his audio systems. Anything made anywhere else = acceptable to amazing.

Lovely. All Apple products are of course crap then.

I recently put a loaner HE-1000 (shock: Chinese!!) on my wife's head while she was lying on the sofa and played some Adele - her reaction was:

"This was phenomenal!"

Now - the HE-1000 are long returned, I tried to trick her with my LCD2, HD650 and HE560 but she keeps on asking: No, it doesn't sound as good as with the "large ones" you had. Well, she sees the value of high end audio now. When I mentioned how much the HE-1000 costs she looked at me and then said: That's a lot but it was soooo good, it's worth it. 

So there you go, hearing is believing.

Cheers!

Feb 9, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #4,612 of 4,655

Lovely. All Apple products are of course crap then.

I recently put a loaner HE-1000 (shock: Chinese!!) on my wife's head while she was lying on the sofa and played some Adele - her reaction was:

"This was phenomenal!"

Now - the HE-1000 are long returned, I tried to trick her with my LCD2, HD650 and HE560 but she keeps on asking: No, it doesn't sound as good as with the "large ones" you had. Well, she sees the value of high end audio now. When I mentioned how much the HE-1000 costs she looked at me and then said: That's a lot but it was soooo good, it's worth it. 

So there you go, hearing is believing.

Cheers!

Wow, you've gotten the go-ahead for the most expensive of the lot! 

Now, if only I can convince my mother that I'm not just burning money on my customs, seeing as they won't fit her ears!

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #4,613 of 4,655

Wow, you've gotten the go-ahead for the most expensive of the lot! 

Now, if only I can convince my mother that I'm not just burning money on my customs, seeing as they won't fit her ears!

Go aheads are fine - but doesn't mean I have the budget for it 
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #4,614 of 4,655
I'm a gamer so always went with "Gaming headphones". So had my steelseries and they broke so i decided ok it's time to get something decent. So i went with my HD598 with sound blaster z (only decent sound card/AMP I could afford here) I'm amazed at how good they are compared to any Gaming headset. Also have some friends that I play games with and when I told them how much it costs they said I'm mad. To bad they stay to far away from me now to actually listen to it in person. It's actually funny how much some of these Gaming headsets costs. You can get decent Audiophile grade headphones for the same price and it sounds much better. One of my friends actually said his Razer Tiamat 7.1 is better than my HD598...lol

Yet again they always say I'm crazy spending so much on headsets, pc parts (Graphics cards, Monitors, etc)

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #4,615 of 4,655
  I'm a gamer so always went with "Gaming headphones". So had my steelseries and they broke so i decided ok it's time to get something decent. So i went with my HD598 with sound blaster z (only decent sound card/AMP I could afford here) I'm amazed at how good they are compared to any Gaming headset. Also have some friends that I play games with and when I told them how much it costs they said I'm mad. To bad they stay to far away from me now to actually listen to it in person. It's actually funny how much some of these Gaming headsets costs. You can get decent Audiophile grade headphones for the same price and it sounds much better. One of my friends actually said his Razer Tiamat 7.1 is better than my HD598...lol

Yet again they always say I'm crazy spending so much on headsets, pc parts (Graphics cards, Monitors, etc)

Bah, it's strictly marketing, at this point. People will strap "Gaming" to anything they sell. Just as we have gaming chairs and gaming desks. Ridiculous really. Headphones are supposed to sound good, that's the essence of it.

Feb 9, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #4,616 of 4,655

Bah, it's strictly marketing, at this point. People will strap "Gaming" to anything they sell. Just as we have gaming chairs and gaming desks. Ridiculous really. Headphones are supposed to sound good, that's the essence of it.

lol gaming headsets have RGB lightning wow so cool. i will be able to look at the light coming out of my headset while wearing it. one of my Clan mates bought a Logitech g35 that costs more than the average entry to mid range audiophile headphones and a good sound card combined. the entry - mid ranged headphoens will still sound better than the g35.

Feb 9, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #4,617 of 4,655
  lol gaming headsets have RGB lightning wow so cool. i will be able to look at the light coming out of my headset while wearing it. one of my Clan mates bought a Logitech g35 that costs more than the average entry to mid range audiophile headphones and a good sound card combined. the entry - mid ranged headphoens will still sound better than the g35.

While that is true, Logitech did make good headphones. Check the UE 6000, I believe they're discountinued.

Additionally, my dog's collar has LEDs on it (to be easily seen at night) and admittedly I play fetch with him every now and then. Does that mean that it's a gaming collar?

Damn, my dog is hardcore.

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #4,618 of 4,655
  While that is true, Logitech did make good headphones. Check the UE 6000, I believe they're discountinued.

Additionally, my dog's collar has LEDs on it (to be easily seen at night) and admittedly I play fetch with him every now and then. Does that mean that it's a gaming collar?

Damn, my dog is hardcore.

No not gaming cause it doesn't have RGB lightning...lol

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #4,619 of 4,655
How much do the HE-1000 cost?  Just curious that no one mentioned an actual dollar value.  I know there are probably different prices  related to  geography and some possible discounts.  Therefore , what is the list price,  and what is the street price? Thanks

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #4,620 of 4,655
  How much do the HE-1000 cost?  Just curious that no one mentioned an actual dollar value.  I know there are probably different prices  related to  geography and some possible discounts.  Therefore , what is the list price,  and what is the street price? Thanks

http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/headphones.html

$2999 in the USA

Street price pretty much the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back