Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Mar 24, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #4,486 of 4,655

That was a short post, but it was actually exciting, believe it or not. I like that you were able to convert someone so easily, convincing them to buy a mid-fi can right off the bat! I think she's going to need an amp and DAC soon...and music in better bitrates...and then a noise-proofed listening room...and then a kitchen built into that room so she never has to leave...you get the idea.
   Anyway, thanks for posting something on-topic. It was a lot more exciting than the Pony stories, Apple bashing, fake Beats stories, talk about audio gear without non-audiophiles listening to them, etc.

Oh, for heaven's sake!  All I did was make a small remark that spread out of my control.  Luckily, we're all respectful people here who decided to bring it back down.

Mar 24, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #4,487 of 4,655
Originally Posted by Danpyre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, for heaven's sake!  All I did was make a small remark that spread out of my control.  Luckily, we're all respectful people here who decided to bring it back down.

Oops, sorry. I was actually referring to all the other times the same thing has happened in this thread. Not specifically what you did in one instance. Sometimes we just don't have any stories to tell anyway
confused_face.gif
..like me, right now.

Actually, I do have kind of a weird story o.O. My dad wanted to buy some IEMs, and sampling my sister's Klipsch S4, said that it didn't sound "right." I don't know whether he was referring to it sounding tinny, or if he didn't get a good fit.
So he got a UE400 instead. But couple years later, he lost it. Guess what IEM he got to replace it.
ph34r.gif
...Yep, an S4. I was hoping he would get a RE0, but he just didn't want to pay more. He payed $35 for the S4, which isn't too bad, I guess.

Mar 24, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #4,488 of 4,655
     That was a short post, but it was actually exciting, believe it or not. I like that you were able to convert someone so easily, convincing them to buy a mid-fi can right off the bat! I think she's going to need an amp and DAC soon...and music in better bitrates...and then a noise-proofed listening room...and then a kitchen built into that room so she never has to leave...you get the idea.
   Anyway, thanks for posting something on-topic. It was a lot more exciting than the Pony stories, Apple bashing, fake Beats stories, talk about audio gear without non-audiophiles listening to them, etc.

You could probably convince her to replace the kb/s with kHz
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #4,490 of 4,655
Everything that was said in this thead after I commented on a couple things got deleted. Didn't think I was causing a problem or this thread was that serious. Kind of strange to me to see that happen.

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #4,494 of 4,655
I let my girlfriend listen to the AKG K240. Now I don't see them anymore. 

It's better I don't let her listen to the Sennheiser HD800.

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #4,495 of 4,655
   I brought my AKG K518(LE/DJ/Whatever) to school for some X-rays, and one of my classmates was interested in listening to it because I said it had a lot of bass. She really seemed to enjoy them, as she didn't pry them off her head immediately. She listened for 10 minutes using her phone, but got interrupted because class began.
   Dang it, if there was more time, I could have possibly converted her..slowly.
   Anyway, she liked them and said they sounded "loud." Maybe it's her perception of the bass not only being there, but having ample quantity at many volume levels.
blink.gif
Or maybe her current earphones peak at low volume.

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #4,496 of 4,655

Great thread!

My daughter who is in middle school wanted the cool looking headphones that many of her friends have. She din't know the brand but she said that there is a letter "b" on them . I told her to STAY AWAY from those.

I did research on budget audiophile headphones and found Tascam TH-02 with awesome measurements at Innerfidelity. For the price, these cans sound great with a neutral sound signature. I don't care much for the treble spike and some resonance though.

I got both my kids Tascam TH-02 for $15 each. They liked them very much. It's been a month and after the burn in, the kids like them even more.

Last week one of my daughter's friend who had the "b" headphones came over to our house, looked at the Tascams, got curious and tried them on. She was blown away! She said "Music is so clear on these headphones. I want these for my birthday. How much do they cost?". I asked her to take a guess. She said maybe $150 or $200. I was watching my kids reactions, they were gloating with pride.

biggrin.gif

I was genuinely surprised that kids at that young age would be able to recognize and prefer neutral sound signature compared to mass produced, overpriced commercial ones.

My kids have been using Tascams for a few months now. I think they have been "converted". The other day, we went to a friends place where music was playing on their Bose speaker system. My daughter said "Dad, These speakers look cute but I don't like their sound quality". 

normal_smile .gif

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #4,497 of 4,655

My kids have been using Tascams for a few months now. I think they have been "converted". The other day, we went to a friends place where music was playing on their Bose speaker system. My daughter said "Dad, These speakers look cute but I don't like their sound quality". 

normal_smile%20.gif

Next thing you know, they'd be asking for your own setup instead 
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #4,498 of 4,655
I think that the problem lies I the 'consumer sound'. I myself is the victim of this. I love bass! So I let my friends try my modded HFI - 680 (for deeper sub-bass and impact) they fell in love and instantly searched for secondhand deals for headphones. So I got one of them the HFI-580 for cheap and told him I'd mod it for him if he wants to and another is gonna get the WS77. Two cans that I am sure will have plenty of good textured bass. Their reactions were positive! But only to my modded cans, one even said the M50s were too neutral. That surprised me.

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #4,499 of 4,655
I think that the problem lies I the 'consumer sound'. I myself is the victim of this. I love bass! So I let my friends try my modded HFI - 680 (for deeper sub-bass and impact) they fell in love and instantly searched for secondhand deals for headphones. So I got one of them the HFI-580 for cheap and told him I'd mod it for him if he wants to and another is gonna get the WS77. Two cans that I am sure will have plenty of good textured bass. Their reactions were positive! But only to my modded cans, one even said the M50s were too neutral. That surprised me.

tongue.gif

I find even my M40x to be slightly bass heavy, very slightly though.

The reaction of my friends after they tried my M40x was "These are too damn clear, just too much; worth the money"

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #4,500 of 4,655
I let my sister listen to some music on my HE-500s and she said the bass was really textured.
"I really like the feel of the music."
That was with some Com Truise and Verve Remixed. Then I played some music from Joe Hisaishi's soundtrack to Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away.
"I really like how big the music feels."
That's the soundstage we're talking about. :)
She uses my Grados downstairs when watching anime and says she likes that it doesn't feel so close. And she can hear dad yelling at her to do chores. The Beyers are on the TV doing videogame duty, and it's pretty funny watching her play horror games with those.
"He was right there! YOU could feel him on your ears!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back