Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
May 14, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #3,076 of 4,655
  I used to be a neutral-head before coming to head-fi. My standards have actually technically worsened as now I like a warm dark sound signature with emphasized bass and rolled-off treble.

That is exactly where I am at, aside from the neutrality. But I need that warm dark, with emphasized bass. Mostly because my ears are very sensitive to the high frequencies. What headphones do you enjoy the most? 

And I find that interesting that you enjoyed the neutral sound, before looking into headphones. Where might that have sparked?

May 14, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #3,077 of 4,655
  I used to be a neutral-head before coming to head-fi. My standards have actually technically worsened as now I like a warm dark sound signature with emphasized bass and rolled-off treble.

Indeed. They often give a very relaxed impression. 

That sounds like so much fun.

It actually just came back from one of my friends but I guess he was drunk when he was listening to it;"they actually sound bassy"

May 14, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #3,078 of 4,655
I can't quite say so. I listen to a lot of metal music, which really fills the lows, mids, and highs constantly and fully. So it is easy to pick out what is lacking as far as mids or highs, as well as seperate them in my head. 

Edit: Sorry you meant those two pairs specifically? Thought you meant kinda phones in general. I have never heard either. 

Oh no I ment 'phones in general, these were just examples :)

And well, I also listen quite a lot of metal, I can hear the differences in the mids and highs between a beats and an audiophile headphone, but only very slightly. As example, I don't hear any mids and highs difference between the Hifiman HE-300 and Mad Dog 3.2.

May 14, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #3,079 of 4,655
I definitely suffer from this, I really can't discern any difference between my unamped DT990 and the Stax SR009, apart from the fact that the Stax sound so much smoother with zero distortion.

I haven't heard the DT990, nor the Stax SR009, but from what I've heard and read here, the DT990 is a nice budget 'phone, and the Stax SR009 is being treated like a god. So here should be some differences in the mids and highs.. I'm pretty sure we have the same problem, yeah.

May 14, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #3,080 of 4,655
  That is exactly where I am at, aside from the neutrality. But I need that warm dark, with emphasized bass. Mostly because my ears are very sensitive to the high frequencies. What headphones do you enjoy the most? 

And I find that interesting that you enjoyed the neutral sound, before looking into headphones. Where might that have sparked?

The Aedle VK-1 which fits all my requirements and the D2K once I modded it with felt over the driver to reduce the treble (and the bass, but it had a bit too much to start with imo). I liked the HD650 sound but not comfort as it clamped too hard for my taste and mostly the MA-900 except for its sub-bass which leaves much to be desired.

Listening to beats pretty much sickened me against that kind of sound signature. I hated the fact that vocals sounded so muffled and I wanted a rig that would allow me to listen to music in the most accurate fashion possible, hence my first head-fi rig being the DX50 > Apex Glacier > Sennheiser HD25 ALU.

May 14, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #3,081 of 4,655

I can't quite say so. I listen to a lot of metal music, which really fills the lows, mids, and highs constantly and fully. So it is easy to pick out what is lacking as far as mids or highs, as well as seperate them in my head. 

Edit: Sorry you meant those two pairs specifically? Thought you meant kinda phones in general. I have never heard either. 

Oh no I ment 'phones in general, these were just examples
smily_headphones1.gif

And well, I also listen quite a lot of metal, I can hear the differences in the mids and highs between a beats and an audiophile headphone, but only very slightly. As example, I don't hear any mids and highs difference between the Hifiman HE-300 and Mad Dog 3.2.

I get what you are saying, ya I guess I can't say I have been like yes, I see the clear differences between all of these headphones' mids and highs. The DT-880 and HE-400 I will say had similar treble, I wouldn't know how to describe the difference now, without them next to me, because it wasn't significant. I gotcha :D

May 14, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #3,082 of 4,655
  The Aedle VK-1 which fits all my requirements and the D2K once I modded it with felt over the driver to reduce the treble (and the bass, but it had a bit too much to start with imo). I liked the HD650 sound but not comfort as it clamped too hard for my taste and mostly the MA-900 except for its sub-bass which leaves much to be desired.

Listening to beats pretty much sickened me against that kind of sound signature. I hated the fact that vocals sounded so muffled and I wanted a rig that would allow me to listen to music in the most accurate fashion possible, hence my first head-fi rig being the DX50 > Apex Glacier > Sennheiser HD25 ALU.

Ya, I almost bought some used D2000's used off this site, they seem to be just an awesome pair to have for so many reasons, but I haven't heard them. That is #1 on my wanted list. Well have you ever heard the M-100's? From what I heard they have a little bit more mid bass, but still strong sub bass. I can't wait to hear those Denons some day. 

May 14, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #3,083 of 4,655
Did anyone even ask for a comparison to your AKG 240's ?!
did I ask for input from you on what I can and can't compare to? :D I'm not used to sarcasm on forums... There is no vocal cues to indicate it... The statements are usually odd, but people have opinions. I was just making certain he was joking... I was thinking about leaving out akg k240's because people get annoyed that I mention a pair of headphones I actually own for some reason... But then people might ask what headphone I was using for comparison. :-\ hey, did you get the mad dogs yet killspeed??? :) send me a pm.

May 14, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #3,084 of 4,655
did I ask for input from you on what I can and can't compare to?
biggrin.gif
I'm not used to sarcasm on forums... There is no vocal cues to indicate it... The statements are usually odd, but people have opinions. I was just making certain he was joking... I was thinking about leaving out akg k240's because people get annoyed that I mention a pair of headphones I actually own for some reason... But then people might ask what headphone I was using for comparison. :-\ hey, did you get the mad dogs yet killspeed???
smily_headphones1.gif
send me a pm.

Well Dischord, I'm not trying to be mean or anything to you, but you talk about the K240's in every comment. It's great to see you're happy with them, but people find that annoying. It might be better to just leave them out sometimes, keep some things for yourself you know. Just a friendly tip.

May 14, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #3,085 of 4,655
did I ask for input from you on what I can and can't compare to?
biggrin.gif
I'm not used to sarcasm on forums... There is no vocal cues to indicate it... The statements are usually odd, but people have opinions. I was just making certain he was joking... I was thinking about leaving out akg k240's because people get annoyed that I mention a pair of headphones I actually own for some reason... But then people might ask what headphone I was using for comparison. :-\ hey, did you get the mad dogs yet killspeed???
smily_headphones1.gif
send me a pm.

If you ain't used to sarcasm in forums, well you better be now! 
wink.gif

And what do you mean by "vocal cues"? We don't speak here, so there shouldn't be any "vocal cues." If you know what sarcasm is, you should understand that it's pretty much everywhere.

Well Dischord, I'm not trying to be mean or anything to you, but you talk about the K240's in every comment. It's great to see you're happy with them, but people find that annoying. It might be better to just leave them out sometimes, keep some things for yourself you know. Just a friendly tip.

I have to say, I'm one of those people. We all know you like dem K240s already. Just try to not mention it at least once in a future post. Thanks.
beerchug.gif

May 14, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #3,086 of 4,655
If you ain't used to sarcasm in forums, well you better be now! :wink:
And what do you mean by "vocal cues"? We don't speak here, so there shouldn't be any "vocal cues." If you know what sarcasm is, you should understand that it's pretty much everywhere.

I have to say, I'm one of those people. We all know you like dem K240s already. Just try to not mention it at least once in a future post. Thanks.
:beerchug:
ok. I'll mention cheese sandwiches instead... "This cheese sandwich has smooth mids, and a solid bass." lol. (buns and cheese.) And I'm talking about sarcasm in person being different than in text. I'm still adjusting to it on forums. Maybe he seriously does like studio 2013's more than HD 700's. *shrug* I didn't know lol.

May 14, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #3,087 of 4,655
ok. I'll mention cheese sandwiches instead... "This cheese sandwich has smooth mids, and a solid bass." lol. (buns and cheese.) And I'm talking about sarcasm in person being different than in text. I'm still adjusting to it on forums. Maybe he seriously does like studio 2013's more than HD 700's. *shrug* I didn't know lol.

Honestly, some people do like Beats. Why? Because, quoting someone from somewhere:
 It makes my other headphones sound comparatively better!

It makes sense, actually.

May 14, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #3,088 of 4,655

Honestly, some people do like Beats. Why? Because, quoting someone from somewhere:

Don't you know why beats are better?

They have this magical power, to restore 128kbits MP3 files, into losless files, with higher bitrate than vinyl records! Exactly as the guys in the studio heard it! No-one knows how they do it, I'm sure even the people at Stax are jealous.

May 14, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #3,090 of 4,655

Don't you know why beats are better?

They have this magical power, to restore 128kbits MP3 files, into losless files, with higher bitrate than vinyl records! Exactly as the guys in the studio heard it! No-one knows how they do it, I'm sure even the people at Stax are jealous.
http://www.clarifisound.com/ lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back