Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
May 14, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #3,061 of 4,655
I have a friend who didn't even listen to any headphones yet aside from his beats that his girlfriend bought him, and defends that brand against anything I say. It is awesome to read some of the stories of the successful stories of showing friends high end headphones, I have experienced both ends myself. But my buddy just keeps defending his beats, one of his big points was the amount of money the company had made, I was too disappointed to even explain how horrible that logic was. I am not quite sure why I can go spend way too much money on a PC and speakers and stuff, but for some reason with headphones I feel like I need people to understand more than anything else why I have purchased them. Which in turn it annoys me the most when they aren't as excited about the sound as I am. That is pretty much how I want people to react, because I should not be as surprised as them, right? Never the case though...

You're not the only one, we all know this one dude, or this one group, that does this. Yeah, it's really annoying, it can drive you crazy I know. The worst part is, I used to be one of them haha.
Just try to ignore them when they start about the topic again, just say 'yeah, whatever you think' and change the subject. It's the best thing you can do. Arguing with them might start a fight or something (worst case scenario), and you're never going to win it. You clearly know more about the subject, and that's what matters. That he's too ignorant to listen to you, is his fault.

But this is the way he looks at it:
If a company makes much money, they are succesfull. Which is true. But it does not mean they make great products. Most people forget that.
Also, I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but whenever I listen to a new headphone (for only a few minutes), I hate them, I really do. But that's because I'm not being used to them.
Yeah, the first few minutes of using the HD600 and HD650, I hated them, but after 10 minutes or so, I "understood" them. Of course 10 minutes is still not enough time to properly try a headphone. It took me over a week to actually like my Hifiman HE-300 over my beats pro detox, and now I hate my beats (In before General makes a comment saying I've already said this a million times).
It could also be that he just doesn't like being proving wrong, which is also perfectly understandable.
I'm sure that if he would borrow something like a HD600 for a day, he'd hear the difference.
Or he just likes the extremely muddy bass. What kind of beats was it by the way?

Edit: I just read it over again, and maybe it's because well, his girlfriend bought it for him? I could understand that, why bash something that someone who means a lot to you, gave to you?

May 14, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #3,062 of 4,655
Also, I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but whenever I listen to a new headphone (for only a few minutes), I hate them, I really do. But that's because I'm not being used to them.
Yeah, the first few minutes of using the HD600 and HD650, I hated them, but after 10 minutes or so, I "understood" them. 

First off, I don't remember the exact beats he has or the ones that I heard. Most likely the ones I heard were the studio, off of memory. The ones he has I really am not sure of. 

About that quote though, you are most definitely not alone. The only headphones I ever put on and immediately liked were my sennheiser HD-280's. After hearing at best the sony XB-500's, these were easy to enjoy.  
On the other hand:

I was disappointed by the XB-500's the first time I heard them (before EQ turned out)
I was disappointed by the DT-880's when I heard them. (turns out I still am sort of a bass-head, and ouch the treble on these.)
I was disappointed by the HE-400's when I heard them. (same problem as above, and an even worse mistake, went open again.)
I was even disappointed to a certain degree by my M100s. 

Edit: By the way this is pretty much my entire list of headphones I have ever bought beyond earbuds. So I hate them at first almost everrry time. 

These all have similarities in why I didn't like them. The first and easiest to jump on is the price. It is hard dealing with disappointment on such an expensive item. But very high expectations, because of the price. Also I believe break in was a solid reason. I have noticed with break in it is always the bass that falls into place. These all improved over time. 

May 14, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #3,063 of 4,655
I am not going to say which company but that company just said "Get closer to the music with improved sound and custom fit..." When it is a universal IEM.

Take it this way guys "they are just missing all the great things they could have heard if they listen to our so called 'toys' and expensive hobby" xD

My friends rapidly listened to my Grado today :D one gone as far as "shhhh quite! I'm listening to those texture"

May 14, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #3,064 of 4,655
First off, I don't remember the exact beats he has or the ones that I heard. Most likely the ones I heard were the studio, off of memory. The ones he has I really am not sure of. 

About that quote though, you are most definitely not alone. The only headphones I ever put on and immediately liked were my sennheiser HD-280's. After hearing at best the sony XB-500's, these were easy to enjoy.  
On the other hand:

I was disappointed by the XB-500's the first time I heard them (before EQ turned out)
I was disappointed by the DT-880's when I heard them. (turns out I still am sort of a bass-head, and ouch the treble on these.)
I was disappointed by the HE-400's when I heard them. (same problem as above, and an even worse mistake, went open again.)

Edit: By the way this is pretty much my entire list of headphones I have ever bought beyond earbuds. So I hate them at first almost everrry time. 

These all have similarities in why I didn't like them. The first and easiest to jump on is the price. It is hard dealing with disappointment on such an expensive item. But very high expectations, because of the price. Also I believe break in was a solid reason. I have noticed with break in it is always the bass that falls into place. These all improved over time. 

Ah, good to hear this haha
I even hate the hd700 and hd800 due this reason :frowning2: (and no proper setup that was used with them) although everybody seems to love them.
Also, for some odd reason, I find almost all highs and mids sounds the same, but I'm still pretty new to this hobby. Did you also suffer from this?

PS: Very sorry of going off-topic again, atleast this time I'm not the only one.

May 14, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #3,065 of 4,655
I am not going to say which company but that company just said "Get closer to the music with improved sound and custom fit..." When it is a universal IEM.

Take it this way guys "they are just missing all the great things they could have heard if they listen to our so called 'toys' and expensive hobby" xD

My friends rapidly listened to my Grado today
biggrin.gif
one gone as far as "shhhh quite! I'm listening to those texture"

That is great haha. I never have a friend rushing in to put my headphones on let alone quiet me down to listen!

They be all like 
blink.gif

And I am like    
L3000.gif

May 14, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #3,066 of 4,655
Also, for some odd reason, I find almost all highs and mids sounds the same, but I'm still pretty new to this hobby. Did you also suffer from this?

I can't quite say so. I listen to a lot of metal music, which really fills the lows, mids, and highs constantly and fully. So it is easy to pick out what is lacking as far as mids or highs, as well as seperate them in my head. 

Edit: Sorry you meant those two pairs specifically? Thought you meant kinda phones in general. I have never heard either. 

May 14, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #3,067 of 4,655

On the other hand:

Ah, good to hear this haha
I even hate the hd700 and hd800 due this reason
frown.gif
(and no proper setup that was used with them) although everybody seems to love them.

PS: Very sorry of going off-topic again, atleast this time I'm not the only one.

I definitely suffer from this, I really can't discern any difference between my unamped DT990 and the Stax SR009, apart from the fact that the Stax sound so much smoother with zero distortion.

May 14, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #3,068 of 4,655
  Ya haha that might be it. But yes, he has a lot of pride and just can't be wrong. But hey I feel the same way about myself too. But there are times where we know we are right, and one of those times is when Beats are brought up. I have read a lot of stories too about people not liking audiophile headphones because they lack the bass, so I feel like I have a decent pair to counter that with. I happen to still like my bass so I have the V-moda M100s; he hasn't even heard them yet so I'll wait until that happens (all of our debating is over skype while playing video games or texting). Hell in my opinion even the sennheiser HD-280 sounded better than the $300 beats I heard. 

That is kind of an opposite story to this thread actually, about when I heard the beats. I had been listening to my $80 dollar HD-280's for a while and when I put the $300 beats on, it was ME that was shaking my head. Also, like our situation, they sit and judge thinking you don't know what sounds good, maybe that you're even jealous. RIGHT

How much is the HD280, exactly? IIRC, the HD205, which is super cheap, sounds better than the Beats Studio. Hell, to add to that, my Xiaomi Pistons, which are (wait for it) 25 dollars, sound better than Beats (even the Beats that I have).

A lot of people (non-audiophiles) measure headphone performance based on their bass. It's weird, because that would bascially mean that everyone is a basshead prior to audiophilia. 

May 14, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #3,069 of 4,655
That is great haha. I never have a friend rushing in to put my headphones on let alone quiet me down to listen!

They be all like :blink:
And I am like    :L3000:

And they are more interested in Grado than my H6. Somehow.

I'm arranging a mini tour within my classmates for my Grado just in attempt to get more audiophiles :D I have converted about 2-3 friends into headphone who can't stop asking more details about headphones after listening to my Grado hehe this is gonna be fun xD

May 14, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #3,070 of 4,655
  How much is the HD280, exactly? IIRC, the HD205, which is super cheap, sounds better than the Beats Studio. Hell, to add to that, my Xiaomi Pistons, which are (wait for it) 25 dollars, sound better than Beats (even the Beats that I have).

A lot of people (non-audiophiles) measure headphone performance based on their bass. It's weird, because that would bascially mean that everyone is a basshead prior to audiophilia. 

I payed $100, but soon after they were on sale for $80, then off and on between the two prices. And yea, I guess that is the easiest spot to hear high quality sound. At least easier than mids and highs. 

May 14, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #3,071 of 4,655
And they are more interested in Grado than my H6. Somehow.

I'm arranging a mini tour within my classmates for my Grado just in attempt to get more audiophiles
biggrin.gif
I have converted about 2-3 friends into headphone who can't stop asking more details about headphones after listening to my Grado hehe this is gonna be fun xD

That sounds like so much fun.

May 14, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #3,073 of 4,655

But sometimes, we head-fiers, are being a little bit unfair to certain extend. Although they are all within $100, but they are all known for bang for bucks audio gears! We should take something that is priced on par with Beats to compare with. It is also worth mentioning that certain people measure with price more so than anything else. 

Bass IMO is the easiest way to tell the difference. 

May 14, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #3,074 of 4,655
  I was never a basshead. I never measured performance by bass alone even before I knew anything about audio.

I used to be a neutral-head before coming to head-fi. My standards have actually technically worsened as now I like a warm dark sound signature with emphasized bass and rolled-off treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back