Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Mar 28, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #2,281 of 4,655
  I dunno if I can totally agree... 
biggrin.gif

Haha, I remember when Apple introduced this, I was following on the Verge and my first though was "wow, Apple made a nice mini trash can" lol
biggrin.gif
. But, to each their own. Also, its crazy expensive (would love one none the less). I like the Mac mini design better, though it doesn't really count as a "desktop tower" I guess.

+1 I'm married with 3 kids, he knows what he's talking about

I genuinely fear for my future now. Thanks a lot guys 
frown.gif

I guess a happily married man is a oxymoron. Though a work around could be to buy everything before marrige. She can't complain then, can she...?

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #2,282 of 4,655

And implying that drugs didn't play a heavy role in the creation of pretty much all great art ever created. 

Yep, need me some of the blow to create art. LOL. Weed and LSD are the great creative drugs; not that I have any experience... what?

Disclaimer: I don't actually do any drugs. Drugs are bad, mmkay. D-don't do 'em, mmkay. (unless you really need too)

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #2,283 of 4,655
A mate called around last week to pick up some firewood.

I queued up a few tracks on the DX100 and let him listen to the LCD XC, T1 and DT 250 from my Corda Concerto. He was stunned by the clarity, soundstage and separation of the two TOTL headphones.

In his words

"I can understand why you would spend $1000 on the T1 and the LCD XC, but don't really think the DT 250s are worth $300."

I'm not sure what he would say if I told him the purchase price of he LCD XC.

Anyway, I am optimistic of having a Head-Fier in the making. He is keen to build a Bottlehead Crack.

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #2,284 of 4,655
I definitely see your point! Most of what I find good looking is simple and classy anyways. The Senn Momentums are the flashiest I like. However, if I find them for the price I should be able to find them around black Friday, I'll be grabbing LCD-2's, which are ugly as sin IMO.

I have HEARD that Audeze's are overpriced because of their 'looks' and because they have expensive wood in them and stuff, also because they are pretty much seen everywhere now (although I do not believe they are as overpriced as beats, they won't get so much love if they were that overpriced).
Wish I had a chance to listen to them, so I could judge for myself.

Here are people around that buy them for the steampunk look they have.
IMO The LCD-2 is a beauty, but I respect your opinion :)

Same with the MrSpeakers Mad Dog. People say it's ugly as a mofo, but I really love the look.

Edit: The Mad Dog looks really ugly on pictures, and I also thought so, but once I saw them in person, I was sold.

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #2,285 of 4,655
dream on my friend...as soon ur married/ etc. ur life chances...

as women are deadly if they think ur not treating them right.

if u love her u will lie big time to keep the peace (and keep her!) or u have to have to much money to spend that she doesn't bother what u do with ur money, as she does the same..

but if she gets the feeling ur WASTING house money on a (in her eyes) silly hobby, well be prepared then, as hell will break loose..take it from someone married for 16years with a feisty hotblooded portuguese lady.

but as i said..this only occurs if u love her...if u dont love her u dont care anyway...
wink.gif

but dont say we havent warned u
tongue.gif

Here are woman with the same hobby, I've met one and I'm with one for already 4 years now, already made future plans regarding headphones. She's totally OK with it, as long as I treat them carefully, and she wants them in a nice glass showcase.
I once told her about the Sennheiser HE90 Orpheus, and how extremely expensive it was, but when I had the chance and the money I'd buy it right of the bat, and she was like "If it makes you happy, then sure". Now lets hope she really means it, and I'll ever have the money to spend.. Hehehe

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #2,286 of 4,655
Ding ding ding! Exactly right! It's all personal enjoyment, but if you put two headphones in front of me that sound the exact same, and for an extra $150 one of them looks beautiful... well I'm gonna buy that pair. Hell, I kinda wanna pick up a high end pair of Grados just to have 'em because the engineering and craftsmanship in them astounds me.

See, I love the art of headphone creation. If I had infinite resources, I'd buy the pair I like listening to the most, but then I'd keep buying other ones just out of admiration for the products and the work that went into them. I want a Perfect Sound Dido, an Audeze LCDX, a Fostex TH900, a Stax SR009, an Abyss, a Final Audio Muramasa VIII, a Grado GS1000i, a Sennheiser Orpheus, I want all of them just because... holy crap LOOK at that. Think about the hours that went into designing it, the careful craftsmanship.

Yes, I want to enjoy my music, that's never going to change, but even after I've found my perfect pair in terms of sonics that doesn't mean I'm done shopping. 
i dont know where u get 150usd from..as the difference of pice of amps/headphones having flashy looks or simple are sometimes a multiple of that..i wish it was just 150usd..we are talking 1000usd here! what u think does a stainless steel front costs? or stainless all around? or graved in stuff? I KNOW..as i asked for it how much it would cost me on my amp...let me say a front costs at least 400usd..UNGRAVED..cover costs another 500usd..i didnt even ask for the back! and Gilbert honestly said why i wanted that..what i have now is just as nice looking and MUCH cheaper...and am not even talking about knobs etc. (stainless costs at least 90usd!) and i am talking about BC prices..those are very reasonable..

so once again...

what would u buy...flashy or non flashy but classy also?

well i know ur asnwer...as u are dribbling over the 2100usd new apple pooter :wink: but others are not like u..and dont have ur money to spend on looks.

and as u say..its all personal..thats why some people buy a standard 1.4L a-type mercedes and buy a AMG package for 10grand for the looks..while others go for the real thing...
its all about choices and ur budget...i had the money to get a beautiful crafted cavalli..but instead got myself a simple looking but stellar sounding and beautiful handbuilt BC PaG...choices choices :D

and do u really like the looks of the abyss?? the others i agree (u miss the fostex th900..lolz) but abyss?

and another thing...sometimes under humble cases u will find the most innovating, best sounding stuff around...

but u always have people who goes for the looks..in my humble experience those are not the ones who care about sound to much ( not in the way i do at least), its not the most important part for them...those are the ones who buy B&O stuff, apple pooters etc. and thats okay..

but people who do buy stuff just for the best sound first check it out how it sounds and if it looks stunning also, so the better.. :wink:

people who buy stuff with looks as main goal dont see it that way..never. and i know some..they have stuff worth almost 100.000usd (one person i know) but would have bought almost anything else if it would look better... and yep..he has the new round apple pooter also..and the new mac air..hell...everyone in his house has mac laptops (3 daughters and his wife) and he ofcourse. :xf_eek: i always hope when they buy new stuff almost every year i can get their leftovers..but bad luck...they have some kind of deal with the shop that they take it back for a discount or something on the new stuff...but i keep on hoping to get a mac air one day for free :D

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #2,287 of 4,655
  I've got a few sets of phones I use, mostly for gaming, I don't listen to music much ( I know some will find that strange) but I generally game with my Senn 800's and my Burson 160D, Lyr and Pathos Aurium although truth be told, my creative ZxR soundcard does a pretty darn good job on it's own. I've recently bought a pair of Alpha Dogs a few days ago, so I've got to wait there. I've had LCD2's (didn't care for the comfort quality, sounded good though, just uncomfortable) and a few others. My current sets or Ultrason Sigs, HD800, Grado PS1000's, and a bunch of different gaming sets with mics for portability.
I've got a few friends who thinks I'm crazy to spend the money I do on phones for gaming but Its a hobby, I can afford it, so it's fun for me! 

IMO, gaming is the true test of how a headphone is really built, lots of things going on at once, loud, quiet and everything in between. Needing to know the smallest detail or your surroundings.
Out of my current batch of headphones, the Senns are the most enjoyable  with the ps1000's being second. I never did like the LCD2's for gaming, I found they had a shrillness to them at higher levels that wasn't a great match IMO of course, the 800's on the other hand, handle everything and the +4 bass bump makes them wonderful. 

I don't buy into cable switching I'm sorry, I know lots of guys love that stuff but after trying out some of the best aftermarket cables available, I decided that it's not for me.

My story is my wife has a few friends who have kids that are 12 and 13 (I'm 35) and they were over the other day, rocking the beats of course lol. I was just finishing a round of BF4 when the 13 year old boy (who plays on my gaming pc when they come over) was ready to have a go. I normally don't let anyone waer my phones for any reason but I decided to let him pick a set out and compare them to his beats ( which I always make fun of) he did, picked the 800's I was wearing and the burson. I fired up Bf4 and showed him how to properly use everything and said I'd be back in an hour. Him and his younger brother were both down there laughing their heads off for that entire hour. I went down to see how it was going and I saw the "beats" lying in the middle of the floor and the 2 kids literally rock/paper/scissor'ing each other to see who got to play with the phones. LOL Both kids were awe struck, it was pretty funny to see kids that young understanding that what they were hearing was good, they even described what they liked about them vs their beats. I let them try all my pairs and all the amps to see what they liked best :
13 year old - PS1000 and Aurium
12 year old - Senn 800 and Burson 160d

Being really impressed, I had 2 sets of HD598's that I had sitting in the closet that I had gotten from a closeout sale at a local electronics store for $120 each about a year ago (smoking deal!) brand new in the box. I gave them both a set and hopefully have started them on the right path to good sound!! I talk with their dad quite a bit and he said they get bugged at school about not having beats but they are showing other kids what a good set of cans sounds like!  LOL I though that was awesome!!

You sir, are a true hero.
Well done, you deserve my respect.

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #2,288 of 4,655
Here are woman with the same hobby, I've met one and I'm with one for already 4 years now, already made future plans regarding headphones. She's totally OK with it, as long as I treat them carefully, and she wants them in a nice glass showcase.
I once told her about the Sennheiser HE90 Orpheus, and how extremely expensive it was, but when I had the chance and the money I'd buy it right of the bat, and she was like "If it makes you happy, then sure". Now lets hope she really means it, and I'll ever have the money to spend.. Hehehe

i am guessing ur not living with her yet? ur not in same household?..not paying high bills? no kids? no schools to pay? no cars? house of ur own?

dont get me wrong...women like those exist..i talked about a asian girl here few pages back with her very special honda civic..well she was my girlfriend for a while...and she loved cars as much as i did..so didnt had problems me spending 1000guldens (guilders) per month on my car...

but those are rare as soon u start looking at bills together and ur not wealthy..women change then..(its their caring gene i think especially if u have kids also )and for them our hobbies, eventhough they respect it, are not important enough to spend money on...thats my experience anyway as husband and father of one daughter. but as i said..u have exceptions..but those most of the times they have big budgets of their own or together...and even then they will not like it u spend more then 1000usd on a stupid amp. (their words) :D

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #2,289 of 4,655
Double post, check 2 comments later for my comment.

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #2,290 of 4,655
I've got a few sets of phones I use, mostly for gaming, I don't listen to music much ( I know some will find that strange) but I generally game with my Senn 800's and my Burson 160D, Lyr and Pathos Aurium

although truth be told, my creative ZxR soundcard does a pretty darn good job on it's own. I've recently bought a pair of Alpha Dogs a few days ago, so I've got to wait there. I've had LCD2's (didn't care for the comfort quality, sounded good though, just uncomfortable) and a few others. My current sets or Ultrason Sigs, HD800, Grado PS1000's, and a bunch of different gaming sets with mics for portability.
I've got a few friends who thinks I'm crazy to spend the money I do on phones for gaming but Its a hobby, I can afford it, so it's fun for me! 

IMO, gaming is the true test of how a headphone is really built, lots of things going on at once, loud, quiet and everything in between. Needing to know the smallest detail or your surroundings.
Out of my current batch of headphones, the Senns are the most enjoyable  with the ps1000's being second. I never did like the LCD2's for gaming, I found they had a shrillness to them at higher levels that wasn't a great match IMO of course, the 800's on the other hand, handle everything and the +4 bass bump makes them wonderful. 

I don't buy into cable switching I'm sorry, I know lots of guys love that stuff but after trying out some of the best aftermarket cables available, I decided that it's not for me.

My story is my wife has a few friends who have kids that are 12 and 13 (I'm 35) and they were over the other day, rocking the beats of course lol. I was just finishing a round of BF4 when the 13 year old boy (who plays on my gaming pc when they come over) was ready to have a go. I normally don't let anyone waer my phones for any reason but I decided to let him pick a set out and compare them to his beats ( which I always make fun of) he did, picked the 800's I was wearing and the burson. I fired up Bf4 and showed him how to properly use everything and said I'd be back in an hour. Him and his younger brother were both down there laughing their heads off for that entire hour. I went down to see how it was going and I saw the "beats" lying in the middle of the floor and the 2 kids literally rock/paper/scissor'ing each other to see who got to play with the phones. LOL Both kids were awe struck, it was pretty funny to see kids that young understanding that what they were hearing was good, they even described what they liked about them vs their beats. I let them try all my pairs and all the amps to see what they liked best :
13 year old - PS1000 and Aurium
12 year old - Senn 800 and Burson 160d

Being really impressed, I had 2 sets of HD598's that I had sitting in the closet that I had gotten from a closeout sale at a local electronics store for $120 each about a year ago (smoking deal!) brand new in the box. I gave them both a set and hopefully have started them on the right path to good sound!! I talk with their dad quite a bit and he said they get bugged at school about not having beats but they are showing other kids what a good set of cans sounds like!  LOL I though that was awesome!!
wish i know such

wwell done...! my respect for u!

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #2,291 of 4,655
i am guessing ur not living with her yet? ur not in same household?..not paying high bills? no kids? no schools to pay? no cars? house of ur own?

dont get me wrong...women like those exist..i talked about a asian girl here few pages back with her very special honda civic..well she was my girlfriend for a while...and she loved cars as much as i did..so didnt had problems me spending 1000guldens (guilders) per month on my car...

but those are rare as soon u start looking at bills together and ur not wealthy..women change then..(its their caring gene i think especially if u have kids also )and for them our hobbies, eventhough they respect it, are not important enough to spend money on...thats my experience anyway as husband and father of one daughter. but as i said..u have exceptions..but those most of the times they have big budgets of their own or together...and even then they will not like it u spend more then 1000usd on a stupid amp. (their words) 
biggrin.gif

Nope, don't have any of these things listed yet.
I've already had a good talk with her about it a while ago, and I wouldn't mind if she said 'do you really need that 1000 usd amp, while we have all these bills?!', because sometimes, I want to spend money I don't have, and she's keeping me from it :)

Although I'll have some more leftover money, we don't want any kids, and I'm pretty positive that that won't change (but you never know!).

By the way, she'll come along with me to the meeting in Heerlen, I told her about it and the first thing she said was "Can i come with you?". I think I've hit the jackpot :D

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #2,292 of 4,655
Nope, don't have any of these things listed yet.
I've already had a good talk with her about it a while ago, and I wouldn't mind if she said 'do you really need that 1000 usd amp, while we have all these bills?!', because sometimes, I want to spend money I don't have, and she's keeping me from it :)

Although I'll have some more leftover money, we don't want any kids, and I'm pretty positive that that won't change (but you never know!).

By the way, she'll come along with me to the meeting in Heerlen, I told her about it and the first thing she said was "Can i come with you?". I think I've hit the jackpot :D

cool that she comes also!

lolz..yes u did hit the jackpot...better protect her when ur at the meeting..as when the others know how she is, they will want her also :D

about the meeting....i contacted coop..and he told me they are still deciding what date etc... i will keep u informed!

about kids,.,.well...i never wanted kids also..and one day..KABOOM...she was pregnant..i was knocked out for 2 days...didnt know what to do..but now i wouldnt want it differently...our little (now 11yrs) princess makes our lives complete..but yeah..kids cost money..and u have to sell ur two seats NOISY sportive car (like i did) and buy a more regular SILENT 4 door saloon, as no kiddy chair fits in the back and the baby car (kinderwagen..sorry forgot the name in english..lol) has to fit in the boot... :D

but not being parents helps a bit ...

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #2,293 of 4,655
Anyone noticed that the offtopic thread has been locked? Guess that's what happens then a windows vs mac war breaks out..

Ontopic: Lately I've been getting a lot of comments in real life that the HE-300 is huge, even teachers that usually don't talk about anything else than teaching, still hoping I can convert someone in this huge class of 80 people.

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #2,295 of 4,655
Anyone noticed that the offtopic thread has been locked? Guess that's what happens then a windows vs mac war breaks out..

Ontopic: Lately I've been getting a lot of comments in real life that the HE-300 is huge, even teachers that usually don't talk about anything else than teaching, still hoping I can convert someone in this huge class of 80 people.

that happened to this thread also..thats why this is version 2..as soon that kind of ugly debates start moderators kick in hard...

only way of converting people is letting them listen to it..WITH THE MUSIC THEY LIKE (and know) and on lossless material..as only then u have a chance.... good luck with it. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back