Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Jan 24, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #1,398 of 4,655
Showing customers who have never tried decent headphones the Sennheiser HD 598:
"Whoa!  it feels like they are in the room with me!" - Sold
"They sound so clear, I just wish they had more bass" - Not Sold
"Why don't these cancel out any noise." - Definitely Not Sold
"I'd buy these if they didn't look so weird" - Not Sold, (didn't have 558s in stock)

Then I play "Virtual Haircut"(Binaural Dummy Head Recording) to some customers to demonstrate wide soundstage and great placement
"Whoa what?"  *takes off headphones "You are screwing with me right?" - Amazed but Not Sold
"These would be great for games" - Sold

Got a coworker to buy a couple of the 558s after they heard my 598s, of course we tried the 558s as well.

Jan 24, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #1,399 of 4,655
Thanks guys for welcoming me.

I showed someone the virtual haircut and he was scared when he heard the sound of hair being cut because he has long hair lol. He thought it was really kool and I joked about how all his hair was gone after the video.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #1,401 of 4,655
The thing about binaural recordings is that they're not really a fair medium of comparison between headphones. The binaural effect occurs regardless of whether you're using iBuds or an HD800, so the 3D nature alone doesn't prove any headphone better than any other.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #1,402 of 4,655

The thing about binaural recordings is that they're not really a fair medium of comparison between headphones. The binaural effect occurs regardless of whether you're using iBuds or an HD800, so the 3D nature alone doesn't prove any headphone better than any other.

Hence the importance of this part:

Then I let them listen to whatever they want!

Using source material you are familiar with is crucial in comparing audio systems (not just headphones).

EDIT:
gs1000.gif

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #1,403 of 4,655
She did listen, but she kept putting her hands over the backs of the headphones, closing then off, as if she needed to in order to make them work, lol. She never really liked the he-400. Ironically she loves the beyerdynamic t90, which is also open backed

My sister literally just did this while I showed her some of Dr. Chesky's. I kept telling her to move her hands away from the cups.

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #1,404 of 4,655
Showing customers who have never tried decent headphones the Sennheiser HD 598:
"Whoa!  it feels like they are in the room with me!" - Sold
"They sound so clear, I just wish they had more bass" - Not Sold
"Why don't these cancel out any noise." - Definitely Not Sold
"I'd buy these if they didn't look so weird" - Not Sold, (didn't have 558s in stock)

Then I play "Virtual Haircut"(Binaural Dummy Head Recording) to some customers to demonstrate wide soundstage and great placement
"Whoa what?"  *takes off headphones "You are screwing with me right?" - Amazed but Not Sold
"These would be great for games" - Sold

Got a coworker to buy a couple of the 558s after they heard my 598s, of course we tried the 558s as well.

Lol the virtual haircut is such a cheap shot.

Wish i had a store that sold headphones of that quality.

Also, the second i turned 16 and got a job i saved and got the signature djs (700$ cus of an awesome deal)

Now i just need a decent amp :D

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #1,405 of 4,655
Some headphones don't do binaural recordings well.  My Shure SE215s IEM and ATH-M50s suck at binaural.
(You still get some effect but it's harder to place a real position on the instruments or people especially forward and backward with my ATH-M50s)

I play music they are familiar with as well, sadly hardly anyone looking for headphones brings a playback device so I have to either hope I have something they like or go on youtube.

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #1,406 of 4,655
A (non-audiophile) friend of mine have just tried to watch a movie with my HD800/WA3/DM100 setup. She said it feels like watching the movie in a cinema, and it does not feel like a headphone, more like a speaker. I guess non-audiophiles can still appreciate high fidelity 
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #1,407 of 4,655
  A (non-audiophile) friend of mine have just tried to watch a movie with my HD800/WA3/DM100 setup. She said it feels like watching the movie in a cinema, and it does not feel like a headphone, more like a speaker. I guess non-audiophiles can still appreciate high fidelity 
biggrin.gif

I love watching movies with a decent setup. Listening to music is always fantastic, but watching a well-made movie really brings forward some of the detail and impact a headphone can bring.

A++

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #1,410 of 4,655
  After poisoning my girlfriend with my JVC HA-S500, she placed an order for an AKG K551. It's on sale now.
She'll be having a better pair of headphones than me and now I'm kinda jealous. :frowning2:
lol

Fairly good choice but if she wants them to be more portable, a bit smaller, then K545 would serve her better. The sound signature of K545 is shifted a bit to the bass end, if she will find K551 too neutral sounding with not enough of bass meat to satisfy bass hunger then K545 will do better. I hope this helps. 
- http://www.head-fi.org/t/702226/review-akg-k545

The frequency response graphs of K550 [similar to K551] and K545. 
- http://stereos.about.com/od/Headphone-Reviews/ss/AKG-K545-Headphone-Measurements_2.htm
K545 has more sub-bass presence and their midrange is one step away from the listener compared to K551's midrange. Both are a bit hot in the treble, with badly mastered tracks or albums that have shrill treble one will hear the shrillness. For the home listening a tube/valve amplifier will help to round down the treble a bit. On the other hand for dull tracks or albums with their insufficient treble, these headphones will help to improve the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back