Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Jan 21, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #1,336 of 4,655
First day of school, I walk into my class and see a guy wearing beats mixrs shaking his head like no body's business.:L3000:  Suddenly,  all eyes are on me:blink:  as I walked into class, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros with the coiled cable and fiio x3 on hand. That guy walked to me and said "what s*** hedphonnes are those, confirm no bass one"
I challenged him to a BASS:veryevil: off. I think you can guess what happened after that.:D

Will be interested to know his reaction when he tested the COP... XD

I imagined it to be like very dramatic "NO! This is impossible"

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #1,338 of 4,655

WHAT?!?

I think it depends on whether you have a dirty mind or a head-fi'ers one! please the 'Ear' or another organ... 
rolleyes.gif

eek.gif

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #1,340 of 4,655
I was reading the last few pages and everyone is talking about age. I'm 25 and I look like a high schooler. Every time I go to the store, I get that prickly feeling on my back like people are watching me like I'm going to cause trouble. xD

All work and no spending makes Jack a dull boy or something along those lines. I thought what can i blow my money on. I enjoy listening to music so off I went search for a better listening experience and came across head fi. After all my research, I decided on the LCD-2s and WA7 and skipped entry level equipment. I set them up on my desktop and HALLELUHA. Where have you been all my life. After 8 months ownership, I thought to myself, do I really need these expensive equipment just to listen to music? I uninstalled them, took out my old $30 Sony headphones and plugged them straight into my desktop onboard audio. OMG. After 10 seconds I become very nauseous and dizzy. It gave me a headache. I had to take off the Sony headphones and lay down on my bed. Everything sounded very flat and there were echos in the vocals. After recovering, I installed my head-fi gear back in to never doubt them again.

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #1,341 of 4,655
^^^^ROFL, no really,
biggrin.gif
I was just on the floor...
beerchug.gif

That's the definition of head-fi withdrawl...lie down, recover, and then re-install.  Oh and shame on you for doubting, tisk tisk tisk...

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #1,343 of 4,655
Very nice post reddyxm lol I'm the exact opposite, a highschooler who looks/sounds like an old dude. Most the time I talk to them on the phone/skype and then meet them in person and they're like "holy schiit I thought you were like 30" -- exact quote.

Jan 22, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #1,346 of 4,655
  A non-audiophile listened to my HD800/WA3/DM100 and told me they sounded the same as my Q701/Magni/Modi. Should I be surprised of that reaction?

Maybe because the difference isn't as drastic as you were "lead" to believe. The Q701 to my ears sounds very similar to the HD800 with the HD800 having a more balanced and warmer sound. Both are treble happy and lacking musicality. The HD800 is definitely not worth the extra cash.

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #1,347 of 4,655
  Maybe because the difference isn't as drastic as you were "lead" to believe. The Q701 to my ears sounds very similar to the HD800 with the HD800 having a more balanced and warmer sound. Both are treble happy and lacking musicality. The HD800 is definitely not worth the extra cash.

Are you kidding? The HD800s are probably the most popular pair of hfi cans and it all depends on what you're looking for.  If you want a bassier fun sounding headphone then sure, the HD800s wouldn't be worth the money but it all depends on what sound signature you're looking to achieve.

I was talking with some one about people that actually buy music on iTunes (compared to pirating it) and when I brought up "it's not even lossless" he's just like "oh... right." and changes the topic.  He/his wallet didn't want to slip down the slope of higher audio that is impossible to come out of.

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #1,348 of 4,655

"lead" ? The thing is, at the same time my other friend who is also an audiophile tried them and said they were miles away. And he's not even on Head-Fi.

I don't think I've ever seen the word 'HD800' and 'warm' on the same sentence before.

I've said this over and over again, I auditioned the K812, T1 and LCD-2 alongside the HD800 when purchasing them, and I was that close on pulling the trigger on K812 instead. Reason? The HD800 looks gaudy and ostentatious. But I went with it instead, all for the reason of SQ.

The Q701 is a fantastic pair of cans for the price indeed, but try comparing it with HD800 on a more high-end amps and you'd see the difference. I'm using only the WA3 and the difference is very apparent compared to the Q701 driven by the same amp (though it might be due to the output impedance of WA3 being twice of the impedance of Q701).

Regarding whether a product's price tag is worth it or not is completely relative to differing person.

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #1,349 of 4,655
  Are you kidding? The HD800s are probably the most popular pair of hfi cans and it all depends on what you're looking for.  If you want a bassier fun sounding headphone then sure, the HD800s wouldn't be worth the money but it all depends on what sound signature you're looking to achieve.

I was talking with some one about people that actually buy music on iTunes (compared to pirating it) and when I brought up "it's not even lossless" he's just like "oh... right." and changes the topic.  He/his wallet didn't want to slip down the slope of higher audio that is impossible to come out of.

Popularity doesn't equate to quality. cough *Beats* cough. Yes, you are entirely correct, sound signature over rules sound quality. I have heard the HD800's countless times and in terms of its quality, it is amazing; however, it's incredibly boring to listen to while I find far more enjoyment in $200-$400 headphones with sound quality that really isn't significantly inferior. Far better value in my eyes. I Saved money and got better enjoyment. Win-Win. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #1,350 of 4,655

"lead" ? The thing is, at the same time my other friend who is also an audiophile tried them and said they were miles away. And he's not even on Head-Fi.

I don't think I've ever seen the word 'HD800' and 'warm' on the same sentence before.

I've said this over and over again, I auditioned the K812, T1 and LCD-2 alongside the HD800 when purchasing them, and I was that close on pulling the trigger on K812 instead. Reason? The HD800 looks gaudy and ostentatious. But I went with it instead, all for the reason of SQ.

The Q701 is a fantastic pair of cans for the price indeed, but try comparing it with HD800 on a more high-end amps and you'd see the difference. I'm using only the WA3 and the difference is very apparent compared to the Q701 driven by the same amp (though it might be due to the output impedance of WA3 being twice of the impedance of Q701).

Regarding whether a product's price tag is worth it or not is completely relative to differing person.

Hey, at the end of the day, what "my" ears hear is the most important. Also, I was implying that the HD800 sounds "warmer" than the Q701 as in a comparison. In general, it's a cold sounding headphone to my ears which excites the perception of detail and tends to make listeners believe this is a far better sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back